Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Weird conflicting IP issue

Reply
Thread Tools

Weird conflicting IP issue

 
 
Janet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-19-2008
Good point about the not-yet-stale IP lease in the old subnet.
However, when I changed the subnet, I took down the network
for about five minutes thinking the clients would issue a new DHCP
request when it came back. I've witnessed that behavior on
my home PC when I unplug the switch.

The funny thing is that the "conflicting IP" popup was, in fact,
appearing on multiple machines. That's why I think there was
something nefarious running on the suspect machine.

"Phillip Windell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eW708$(E-Mail Removed)...

> How in the world did you re-address and whole network that fast???
>
> If you only changed the DHCP Scope that may take 4 days to fully take
> effect unless you went around and rebooted every machine or did a IPConfig
> /release/renew. And then after that you would still have to adjust
> devices that don't use DHCP,...and then after that adjust any Applications
> that have communication functions that may be effected by the change. It
> could takes days or maybe even weeks to correctly re-address a company
> network if it is anything more complicated than a "home-user" network.
>
> I suspect that not all the machines had moved to 10.* by that point and
> conflict just simply still existed on the 192.*
>
> Another thing is that you can only have an IP# conflict on a single pair
> of machines (the valid one and the intruder),...you can't have multiple
> machines conplaining about the same conflict because they would not all be
> using the same address in the first place. So when you say "wireless
> clients get the there is an IP address conflict", that just doesn't make
> any sense,...it can't be "clients",...it has to be "client".
>
>
> --
> Phillip Windell
> www.wandtv.com
>
> The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or
> Microsoft,
> or anyone else associated with me, including my cats.
> -----------------------------------------------------
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Conflicting Indicators about Network to which I'm connected =?Utf-8?B?c3Rhcmxpbmc=?= Wireless Networking 1 01-30-2006 12:16 PM
Conflicting uses of "ip dhcp-server" -- design flaw? kenw@kmsi.net Cisco 7 08-15-2005 05:14 PM
Weird template problem: Conflicting return type specified Ton van den Heuvel C++ 3 05-01-2005 06:48 PM
address violation on cisco switch - conflicting documentation?? NNTP Cisco 1 09-14-2004 08:00 PM
Re: address violation on cisco switch - conflicting documentation?? Kevin Widner Cisco 0 09-14-2004 05:51 PM



Advertisments