Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > need advice with frames - thanks

Reply
Thread Tools

need advice with frames - thanks

 
 
Overnight
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-16-2008
I.

I got an index page built with four frames : top, left, center and
bottom.

How can I block direct access to the frames' urls ?

For example, http://..../index.html should work but not http://..../top.html.

Can I use an HTML code which redirects to index.html if frame's url is
typed ?
Or should I use .htaccess file ?

THanks for help.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Travis Newbury
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-16-2008
On Apr 16, 5:25 pm, Overnight <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I got an index page built with four frames : top, left, center and
> bottom.
> How can I block direct access to the frames' urls ?


You probably won't have to worry. If you are building a site with the
frame layout mentioned above you will probably not be bothered with a
lot of visitors. At least not ones that will ever come back.

> THanks for help.


No problem

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-16-2008
In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Overnight <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I.
>
> I got an index page built with four frames : top, left, center and
> bottom.
>
> How can I block direct access to the frames' urls ?
>
> For example, http://..../index.html should work but not http://..../top.html.
>
> Can I use an HTML code which redirects to index.html if frame's url is
> typed ?
> Or should I use .htaccess file ?
>


None of these things. If you want to keep the flickeringly deadums
frames technology alive, there are two ways at least to go:

Have a prominent link on each of the frames to the effect that if
someone lands on it in isolation and is not seeing the others (you
describe or put an intelligent mini pic to give the idea, to go to
index.

Have separate framesets for each page and only use links to these
framesets in your navigation.

As you ponder these workarounds, you might conclude that they rather
take the edge off the the advantages of this frames technology.

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-16-2008
In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Travis Newbury <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Apr 16, 5:25 pm, Overnight <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I got an index page built with four frames : top, left, center and
> > bottom.
> > How can I block direct access to the frames' urls ?

>
> You probably won't have to worry. If you are building a site with the
> frame layout mentioned above you will probably not be bothered with a
> lot of visitors. At least not ones that will ever come back.
>


You cannot know this at all. You would be gambling with your money to
bet on it, relying only on that if anyone used frames these days, they
are likely to be new and less than competent, their lack of experience
and judgement reverberating into all the areas that are relevant to
attracting visitors.

Here is something, Travis, from me to you, for you to misunderstand. I
like and succeed in being badly misunderstood.

The Obscure One.

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-16-2008
Overnight wrote:

> I got an index page built with four frames : top, left, center and
> bottom.


The obligatory posting:
http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil

Frames were invented by Netscape about a hundred years ago; they used
them for about six months, then dumped them. Klew?

I hate scrolling half-a-page. Use server-side includes instead, and
present one page.

> THanks for help.


You're very welcome.

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Vista
 
Reply With Quote
 
Travis Newbury
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-16-2008
On Apr 16, 6:12 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Frames were invented by Netscape about a hundred years ago; they used
> them for about six months, then dumped them. Klew?


Oh sure.... You don't get yelled at by dorayme when you say the exact
same thing I did.

The only difference is I said it with some flair...
 
Reply With Quote
 
Travis Newbury
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-16-2008
On Apr 16, 5:57 pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Here is something, Travis, from me to you, for you to misunderstand. I
> like and succeed in being badly misunderstood.


So we agree.
 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-17-2008
In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Travis Newbury <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Apr 16, 6:12 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Frames were invented by Netscape about a hundred years ago; they used
> > them for about six months, then dumped them. Klew?

>
> Oh sure.... You don't get yelled at by dorayme when you say the exact
> same thing I did.
>
> The only difference is I said it with some flair...


O come on Travis... I didn't do no yelling. I was whispering all hoarse
like, whip held tightly and hidden behind my back...

Plus, B is not saying what you are saying. He was giving a fact, you
were speculating. And when Travis speculates, dorayme whispers things
back.

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
Travis Newbury
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-17-2008
On Apr 16, 9:10 pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Oh sure.... You don't get yelled at by dorayme when you say the exact
> > same thing I did.
> > The only difference is I said it with some flair...

> O come on Travis... I didn't do no yelling. I was whispering all hoarse
> like, whip held tightly and hidden behind my back...


Hell, I actually think you were agreeing with me, just saying it
nicer.

 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-17-2008
In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
Travis Newbury <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Apr 16, 9:10 pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > Oh sure.... You don't get yelled at by dorayme when you say the exact
> > > same thing I did.
> > > The only difference is I said it with some flair...

> > O come on Travis... I didn't do no yelling. I was whispering all hoarse
> > like, whip held tightly and hidden behind my back...

>
> Hell, I actually think you were agreeing with me, just saying it
> nicer.


Seriously, yes and no. I think it bad to completely stamp out all uses
of frames, we have a moral duty to preserve the species and have it out
in the world competing and living as best as it can. People here are
hell bent on frameicide.

Even those that would have endangered species in zoos have some
heartfelt hopes of a return to the wild. The heartless regulars here
would not even countenance a zoo for poor frames. That is what concerns
me.

Travis, I don't suppose you would be interested in joining my new
organization, Framepeace? Please send $US10. And anyone else - Boji? -
who wants to Save the Frame from extinction.

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Save various objects. Please, need advice ... Thanks shapper ASP .Net 0 02-15-2007 03:45 PM
Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 (running problem) [THANKS] [ MORE THANKS] con't beenthere Computer Support 2 09-07-2006 08:58 AM
Thanks for your inputs on my "Need advice on recognizing patterns in strings..." Harry Truax Ruby 0 02-14-2005 03:30 PM
Thanks to All for Broken HD Advice, Need opinions Gtrplayer55 Computer Information 1 10-03-2004 11:48 AM
Thanks, thanks a lot Rick Computer Support 0 05-05-2004 04:04 AM



Advertisments