Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > No prompt to save password

No prompt to save password

Rob Nicholson

I've managed to write an ASP.NET v2 web page where the prompt to save the
password doesn't appear Not sure why it's not working. Autocomplete on
the text boxes is working but when you enter username, password (text box
with type = password) and click the login link button, IE doesn't popup "Do
you want to save this password?".

The setting is turned on in IE7 as I've just cleared all my forms and
passwords and gone to a couple of web sites where I have to login, and I'm
getting prompted for my password.

This is a new login page - the old one is still in the application and that
is working as expected, i.e. it asks to save password and next logon, the
password is filled in automatically.

On the working form, there is a single text box for username and password
textbox for password.

On the non-working form, there's these two plus several other textboxes and
buttons.

I wonder if this makes any difference?

Does anyone know *how* the IE mechanism works to determine whether the
prompt should appear?

Cheers, Rob.

Rob Nicholson

> On the non-working form, there's these two plus several other textboxes
> and buttons.
>
> I wonder if this makes any difference?

It certainly does. Taking off the other text boxes so there's just two on
there works - it also needs a button, not a linkbutton to work as well. The
logic must be something like:

IF one normal textbox AND one password textbox AND user click on a button
THEN
Prompt to save password and link the value in the textbox as the
username and the other one as the password
ENDIF

So either I move the login logic off onto it's own screen or do something
with cookies to save the username.

Cheers, Rob.