Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Strange laptop question

Strange laptop question

S/B 954RR

Dell laptop. It isn't mine so I don't know the details but I believe it is
running XP. A co-worker told me it is his daughter's and the when she
turned it on last night the screen's view is flipped 90 degrees, the mouse
pad is also moving in what seems to be the opposite direction of what s
being requested. He isn't too savvy with these things so can someone point
me an a direction here as to whether or not this may be a big problem or if
it is more of a appearance and settings issue?

VanguardLH

S/B 954RR wrote:

> Dell laptop. It isn't mine so I don't know the details but I believe it is
> running XP. A co-worker told me it is his daughter's and the when she
> turned it on last night the screen's view is flipped 90 degrees, the mouse
> pad is also moving in what seems to be the opposite direction of what s
> being requested. He isn't too savvy with these things so can someone point
> me an a direction here as to whether or not this may be a big problem or if
> it is more of a appearance and settings issue?

There is video software installed to rotate the screen either using a
hotkey or a tray icon. Have the daughter look for a tray icon to rotate
the screen. Otherwise, read the manual to find the hotkey combo to
rotate the screen. They can go online to read the manual if she can't
find the one that came with the laptop.

John Holmes

S/B 954RR "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Dell laptop. It isn't mine so I don't know the details but I believe
> it is running XP. A co-worker told me it is his daughter's and the
> when she turned it on last night the screen's view is flipped 90
> degrees, the mouse pad is also moving in what seems to be the opposite
> direction of what s being requested. He isn't too savvy with these
> things so can someone point me an a direction here as to whether or
> not this may be a big problem or if it is more of a appearance and
> settings issue?

ctrl-alt plus the arrow keys will rotate the screen.

--
Your mother was an unwashed stripper who could be seen at parties in a
large vat of porridge.

Whiskers

On 2008-04-16, John Holmes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> S/B 954RR "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> Dell laptop. It isn't mine so I don't know the details but I believe
>> it is running XP. A co-worker told me it is his daughter's and the
>> when she turned it on last night the screen's view is flipped 90
>> degrees, the mouse pad is also moving in what seems to be the opposite
>> direction of what s being requested. He isn't too savvy with these
>> things so can someone point me an a direction here as to whether or
>> not this may be a big problem or if it is more of a appearance and
>> settings issue?
>>

> ctrl-alt plus the arrow keys will rotate the screen.

I interpret the OP to mean that the display is a 'mirror image' of what it
usually is - I've seen both hardware and software 'switches' that can do
that, for use with some sorts of projector as well as for installations
where the user is literally seeing the screen in a mirror.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Evan Platt

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 12:46:38 -0400, "S/B 954RR" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Dell laptop. It isn't mine so I don't know the details but I believe it is
>running XP. A co-worker told me it is his daughter's and the when she
>turned it on last night the screen's view is flipped 90 degrees, the mouse
>pad is also moving in what seems to be the opposite direction of what s
>being requested. He isn't too savvy with these things so can someone point
>me an a direction here as to whether or not this may be a big problem or if
>it is more of a appearance and settings issue?

Try control-alt-up arrow, or a combination of the arrows.

S/B 954RR

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 12:46:38 -0400, "S/B 954RR" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Dell laptop. It isn't mine so I don't know the details but I believe it
>>is
>>running XP. A co-worker told me it is his daughter's and the when she
>>turned it on last night the screen's view is flipped 90 degrees, the mouse
>>pad is also moving in what seems to be the opposite direction of what s
>>being requested. He isn't too savvy with these things so can someone
>>point
>>me an a direction here as to whether or not this may be a big problem or
>>if
>>it is more of a appearance and settings issue?

> Try control-alt-up arrow, or a combination of the arrows.

Thanks everyone, I've passed this info on to him. If it doesn't work I'll
report back. Thanks again.

S/B 954RR

"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2008-04-16, John Holmes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> S/B 954RR "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>>
>>> Dell laptop. It isn't mine so I don't know the details but I believe
>>> it is running XP. A co-worker told me it is his daughter's and the
>>> when she turned it on last night the screen's view is flipped 90
>>> degrees, the mouse pad is also moving in what seems to be the opposite
>>> direction of what s being requested. He isn't too savvy with these
>>> things so can someone point me an a direction here as to whether or
>>> not this may be a big problem or if it is more of a appearance and
>>> settings issue?
>>>

>> ctrl-alt plus the arrow keys will rotate the screen.

> I interpret the OP to mean that the display is a 'mirror image' of what it
> usually is - I've seen both hardware and software 'switches' that can do
> that, for use with some sorts of projector as well as for installations
> where the user is literally seeing the screen in a mirror.
>
> --

No, it's on it's side. I had never seen that before but just tried the
control-alt-arrow thing on my machine and that is what he describes to me.

S/B 954RR

"S/B 954RR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Evan Platt" <evan@*******************************> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 12:46:38 -0400, "S/B 954RR" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Dell laptop. It isn't mine so I don't know the details but I believe it
>>>is
>>>running XP. A co-worker told me it is his daughter's and the when she
>>>turned it on last night the screen's view is flipped 90 degrees, the
>>>mouse
>>>pad is also moving in what seems to be the opposite direction of what s
>>>being requested. He isn't too savvy with these things so can someone
>>>point
>>>me an a direction here as to whether or not this may be a big problem or
>>>if
>>>it is more of a appearance and settings issue?

>> Try control-alt-up arrow, or a combination of the arrows.
>> --
>> To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.

> Thanks everyone, I've passed this info on to him. If it doesn't work I'll
> report back. Thanks again.

Thanks all, it worked.

Gabriel Knight

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:02:52 +0200 (CEST), John Holmes
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>S/B 954RR "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>> Dell laptop. It isn't mine so I don't know the details but I believe
>> it is running XP. A co-worker told me it is his daughter's and the
>> when she turned it on last night the screen's view is flipped 90
>> degrees, the mouse pad is also moving in what seems to be the opposite
>> direction of what s being requested. He isn't too savvy with these
>> things so can someone point me an a direction here as to whether or
>> not this may be a big problem or if it is more of a appearance and
>> settings issue?
>>

>ctrl-alt plus the arrow keys will rotate the screen.

And it is probably the Intel graphics accelerator, the icon is in the
system tray. You right-click it, select Hot-Keys and Disable. This
will prevent it from happening again. I hate that Dell and many others
too, configure that enabled by default.