Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Visual Studio keeps adding Oracle assemblies to web.config

Visual Studio keeps adding Oracle assemblies to web.config

gnewsgroup

I searched around, but could not find out why and how to stop this.

Ever since I installed Oracle 11g on my machine, Visual Studio will
automatically add the following oracle assemblies into my web.config
each time I compile my web application.

<assemblies>
.... ...
<add assembly="System.Data.OracleClient, Version=2.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
<add assembly="Oracle.DataAccess, Version=2.111.6.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89B483F429C47342"/>
<assemblies>

I am not using Oracle for my application at all. So, I had to remove
it manually from web.config after each compile.

Oracle services are configured not to run automatically because it
uses a lot of memory. In other words, none of the oracle components
is running as far as know.

Any idea why this happens, and how to stop VS 2005 from adding it to
web.config? Thank you.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

It is a change Oracle made to the way VS handles things. If they are added
up front and not again, it is the templates, which you can alter yourself.

If it keeps adding, it is in one of the VS bits stored under your profile
(or all users profile) and you will have to hack there to get rid of it.

I wish I could point you to the precise location, but I cannot. I can only
give you a clue. Good luck!

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Subscribe to my blog

or just read it:
http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/

| Think outside the box!

"gnewsgroup" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I searched around, but could not find out why and how to stop this.
>
> Ever since I installed Oracle 11g on my machine, Visual Studio will
> automatically add the following oracle assemblies into my web.config
> each time I compile my web application.
>
> <assemblies>
> ... ...
> <add assembly="System.Data.OracleClient, Version=2.0.0.0,
> Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>
> <add assembly="Oracle.DataAccess, Version=2.111.6.0,
> Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89B483F429C47342"/>
> <assemblies>
>
> I am not using Oracle for my application at all. So, I had to remove
> it manually from web.config after each compile.
>
> Oracle services are configured not to run automatically because it
> uses a lot of memory. In other words, none of the oracle components
> is running as far as know.
>
> Any idea why this happens, and how to stop VS 2005 from adding it to
> web.config? Thank you.

gnewsgroup

On Apr 16, 1:02 pm, "Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> It is a change Oracle made to the way VS handles things. If they are added
> up front and not again, it is the templates, which you can alter yourself.
>
> If it keeps adding, it is in one of the VS bits stored under your profile
> (or all users profile) and you will have to hack there to get rid of it.
>
> I wish I could point you to the precise location, but I cannot. I can only
> give you a clue. Good luck!
>
> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
>
> Subscribe to my bloghttp://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/lists/feed.rss
>
> or just read it:http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/

> | Think outside the box!
> |
> *************************************************"

Thank you very much for the hint, I just went to my user profile
folders and haven't anything. Will keep trying.

gnewsgroup

On Apr 16, 1:07 pm, "Patrice" <http://www.chez.com/scribe/> wrote:
> Have you checked the "project properties" window to see if they are in the
> "references" list ? Not sure as it looks like this is done automatically for
> you but perhaps worth checking ?
>
> --
> Patrice

Thanks for the hint. Following your advice, I did check the bin
folder and didn't find anything Oracleish. I also didn't spot any
Oracle bits in a few projects which my web application refers to,
particularly in the References folder of those projects.