Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Font stretching?

Font stretching?

Ole Streicher

Hi,

is it possible with HTML to show a "stretched" font? I want a
parenthesis "(" resp. ")" to have the full height of a table cell.

See http://olebole.lima-city.de/aa.html for an example.

Regards,

Ole

--
If you think technology can solve your problems you don't understand
technology and you don't understand your problems. (Bruce Schneier)

Jonathan N. Little

Ole Streicher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is it possible with HTML to show a "stretched" font? I want a
> parenthesis "(" resp. ")" to have the full height of a table cell.
>
> See http://olebole.lima-city.de/aa.html for an example.
>
> Regards,

No not automatically. What you could do is make their font size X * the
rows that they span, but it will make them bigger not stretched.

<head>
<title>template</title>

/* set line height to consistant 1 for formulas */
table.formula { border-collapse: collapse; line-height: 1; }

/* set font size #x rows to span for parenthesis */
td.span3 { font-size: 3em; }
</head>

Other option use images and stretch the height attribute. Then again
this seems to be the case for MathML. Good luck with IE. Explains what
so many site with formulas presented as images!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Ole Streicher

"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> No not automatically. What you could do is make their font size X *
> the rows that they span, but it will make them bigger not stretched.

This is what I do not know at the place. Is there really no way to
override the "100 % means normal size" behaviour of sizing fonts to
"100 % means full cell height"?

> Other option use images and stretch the height attribute. Then again
> this seems to be the case for MathML. Good luck with IE. Explains what
> so many site with formulas presented as images!

Yes. The problem is not only IE, but also Firefox: my one (2.0.xx)
cannot print Mathml formulas, and it is much more difficult to
fine-tune the output (I would not do this if mathml presentation in
firefox would be perfect, but it is not).

On the other hand, the infrastructure to build formulas with images is
much more complicated since I usually need LaTeX & Co. Especially if I
need to present on-the-fly generated formulas this would be a
nightmare. And, one cannot cut-and-paste from the image. etc.pp.

Regards,

Ole

--

Ole Streicher wrote:
> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> No not automatically. What you could do is make their font size X *
>> the rows that they span, but it will make them bigger not stretched.

> This is what I do not know at the place. Is there really no way to
> override the "100 % means normal size" behaviour of sizing fonts to
> "100 % means full cell height"?

Not that I know of. Not sure which 100% you mean?

"font-size: 100%" means just that 100% of the font size not a ratio with
respect to width. "line-height: 1.5" is a ratio of the line to line
spacing in terms of the font height. Again does not distort the glyph

>> Other option use images and stretch the height attribute. Then again
>> this seems to be the case for MathML. Good luck with IE. Explains what
>> so many site with formulas presented as images!

> Yes. The problem is not only IE, but also Firefox: my one (2.0.xx)
> cannot print Mathml formulas, and it is much more difficult to
> fine-tune the output (I would not do this if mathml presentation in
> firefox would be perfect, but it is not).

I have no problem SeaMonkey SeaMonkey 1.1.9 is is essentially Firefox 2.x

http://xml-maiden.com/userjs/mathml/.../xml/ham.xhtml

Prints formulas just fine. Maybe you need the fonts...

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/fonts/
Fonts for MathML-enabled Mozilla

> On the other hand, the infrastructure to build formulas with images is
> much more complicated since I usually need LaTeX & Co. Especially if I
> need to present on-the-fly generated formulas this would be a
> nightmare. And, one cannot cut-and-paste from the image. etc.pp.

Not sure what the "pp." is, but if you do you formulas in a word
processor like Word

http://math-editor.sourceforge.net/
Mathematics and Drawing Toolbars for Microsoft Word: Home

You can take a screenshot, crop, and save as image for your
pages...seems to be what most sites do.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Ole Streicher:

> Is there really no way to
> override the "100 % means normal size" behaviour of sizing fonts to
> "100 % means full cell height"?

In CSS, no. Doing such things in JavaScript might be possible, but
overkill.

You don't really want to size fonts to the cell height. Rather, you want
to parts of your mathematical expression to have matching sizes, which
means, among other things, that parentheses may need to be several times
larger than normal characters. This is manageable, though not easy and
nice; see my
"Math in HTML (and CSS)",
especially section
"Towards two-dimensionality",
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/math/#twodim

Beware that this is a font issue too: the characteristics of parentheses
vary by font, and the differences become big when the font size gets
big. You might even consider using a separate font for large parentheses
for this reason.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/