Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > newbie question re: wireless printer setup

newbie question re: wireless printer setup

revathi

Hi,

I just bought a networkable printer (canon mx700). it is not
intrinsically wireless but i would like to make it so. i have a
wireless router and my laptop runs windows xp. can i just buy any old
wireless usb adapter (such as TRENDnet 54Mbps Wireless G USB Adapter)
to connect to the usb on the printer and then be able to see my
printer on my network after setup? or do i need a special printer
wireless card? would the fact that my wireless network is encrypted
(still WEP, i know i should upgrade to WPA)?

Thanks so much! just want to check before i buy the adapter.

Revathi

John

Is this is your printer?
http://estore.usa.canon.com/Specific...?ITEM_ID=37217

If that's correct, there should be an ethernet connector on the printer. Why
spend more $$$ if you can just use an ethernet cable to connect the printer
to the router's ethernet port?

"revathi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I just bought a networkable printer (canon mx700). it is not
> intrinsically wireless but i would like to make it so. i have a
> wireless router and my laptop runs windows xp. can i just buy any old
> wireless usb adapter (such as TRENDnet 54Mbps Wireless G USB Adapter)
> to connect to the usb on the printer and then be able to see my
> printer on my network after setup? or do i need a special printer
> wireless card? would the fact that my wireless network is encrypted
> (still WEP, i know i should upgrade to WPA)?
>
> Thanks so much! just want to check before i buy the adapter.
>
> Revathi

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
You can not buy a USB or any other regular card. Regular USB or card need
Drivers, A printer is Not a computer it does not load Wireless Drivers.
In order to work Wirelessly you need to install into the printer's Network
connector a Driverless Wireless Network Device.
This device is very good and would do WPA and WPA2.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"revathi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I just bought a networkable printer (canon mx700). it is not
> intrinsically wireless but i would like to make it so. i have a
> wireless router and my laptop runs windows xp. can i just buy any old
> wireless usb adapter (such as TRENDnet 54Mbps Wireless G USB Adapter)
> to connect to the usb on the printer and then be able to see my
> printer on my network after setup? or do i need a special printer
> wireless card? would the fact that my wireless network is encrypted
> (still WEP, i know i should upgrade to WPA)?
>
> Thanks so much! just want to check before i buy the adapter.
>
> Revathi

revathi

thanks so much for your answers...saved me $20-30 on something that
wouldn't work. my printer is in a different room from the wireless
router so it's not so easy to hook up the ethernet cable to it.

smlunatick

On Apr 15, 8:51*pm, revathi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> thanks so much for your answers...saved me $20-30 on something that
> wouldn't work. *my printer is in a different room from the wireless
> router so it's not so easy to *hook up the ethernet cable to it.

Sad to say but every "regular" USB wireless network adapters are for
Windows PCs mainly because you must install drivers. Also, most USB
ports on printers are limited to access flask keys / cameras as drive
(like the media readers.)

You can add a separate wireless print server but most would only
permit you to use the printer functions only.

TRENDNet has wireless print servers

http://trendnet.com/products/proddet...EW-MP1U&cat=46

You need to check with other makers to see if your printer is
compatible with a separate wireless print server.

John

That makes sense. In that case, you'll need a wireless print server. Google
for wireless print server. Pick one that fits your budget. Or you can hook
up your printer to one of the computer (LPT or USB connection) and use your
computer to share the printer. The downside is you'll have to leave the PC
on to be able to print.