Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Limit Wifi Access

Limit Wifi Access

John

I have a home network set up using a 2Wire wireless router. I cannot
find any setting that would allow me to limit the amount of time one
of my lap tops can connect to the internet while not affecting the
others. There is only an option to disable all. I cant find a program
that I can install on my "main" computer that will do this either,
only parental control programs that have to be installed on the
individual computer which is not what Im looking for.

Any one know of such a program?
Thanks
John

John Holmes

John "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> I have a home network set up using a 2Wire wireless router. I cannot
> find any setting that would allow me to limit the amount of time one
> of my lap tops can connect to the internet while not affecting the
> others. There is only an option to disable all. I cant find a program
> that I can install on my "main" computer that will do this either,
> only parental control programs that have to be installed on the
> individual computer which is not what Im looking for.
>
> Any one know of such a program?

Windows 2000 Server or above.

> Thanks
> John

Anytime.

--
Your mother was a dismal window cleaner who wanted you to learn about
life under canvas.

John

On Apr 15, 4:32 pm, John Holmes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> John "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
> > I have a home network set up using a 2Wire wireless router. I cannot
> > find any setting that would allow me to limit the amount of time one
> > of my lap tops can connect to the internet while not affecting the
> > others. There is only an option to disable all. I cant find a program
> > that I can install on my "main" computer that will do this either,
> > only parental control programs that have to be installed on the
> > individual computer which is not what Im looking for.

> > Any one know of such a program?

> Windows 2000 Server or above.
>
> > Thanks
> > John

> Anytime.
>
> --
> Your mother was a dismal window cleaner who wanted you to learn about
> life under canvas.

Heres what Im trying to do, I have three wireless laptops and for what
ever reason I want to be able to disconnect one from my network with
out having to actually turn the computer off. I just want to be able
to disconnect one wireless computer from the network from one of the
other computers. The only option I currently have is to disable them
all. Its just something I want to be able to do. One reason is that I
have to currently leave my Xbox connected and on all the time, when I
turn it off for some reason It looses all its settings and I have to
configure it all over again., Its just easier to leave it constantly
on. All computers are using XP.
Thanks
John

Sqwertz

John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a home network set up using a 2Wire wireless router. I cannot
> find any setting that would allow me to limit the amount of time one
> of my lap tops can connect to the internet while not affecting the
> others. There is only an option to disable all. I cant find a program
> that I can install on my "main" computer that will do this either,
> only parental control programs that have to be installed on the
> individual computer which is not what Im looking for.

Some routers (Linksys, Dlink) have a option to limit certain MAC or
IP addresses to certain times of day as part of an Access Policy
configuration.

Whether you have that option with your unknown 2Wire model, I don't
know. But just be aware that there are other low-cost routers that
do this. The low-end WRT54G's are $40-$50 and have this feature.

-sw

MoiMoi

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ost
says...

> Whether you have that option with your unknown 2Wire model, I don't
> know. But just be aware that there are other low-cost routers that
> do this. The low-end WRT54G's are $40-$50 and have this feature.

Yeah, I've got a Linksys 54gs, easy to block out any box for any time
span.
Can do by IP address or MAC address. Mac better, since IP numbers can
change around for boxes you unhook/rehook.
I assumed that all routers had that ability now as standard.
Guess not.

MM