Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Changing the name of my wireless network

Changing the name of my wireless network

Tim Boniwell

Hi,

I have a simple wired/wireless network. i.e PC wired to wireless router
(3Com) and wireless laptop. ADSL modem (Netgear) wired to router. All XP Pro
SP2.

The network works fine using MAC filter on router and WPA-PSK encryption.

However I set all this up without realising that calling the network WLAN
was not such a good idea. So I tried to change the name, leaving everything
else the same.

I renamed the network and the wireless laptop picked it up straight away,
but could not connect. Well it said it was connected but could not access an
address from the network. I'm sure I'm missing something really simple, but
cannot find it.

I went back to the router and changed the name back and everything works
fine, but how do I change the name and get the laptop to connect properly.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Tim Boniwell

--
Please reply to

All email sent by me is checked
for viruses before dispatch

Mike Flood

Tim;
I think you need to look for where to change SSID in the router and in any
Wireless NIC's configurations.
Mike

"Tim Boniwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have a simple wired/wireless network. i.e PC wired to wireless router
> (3Com) and wireless laptop. ADSL modem (Netgear) wired to router. All XP
> Pro SP2.
>
> The network works fine using MAC filter on router and WPA-PSK encryption.
>
> However I set all this up without realising that calling the network WLAN
> was not such a good idea. So I tried to change the name, leaving
> everything else the same.
>
> I renamed the network and the wireless laptop picked it up straight away,
> but could not connect. Well it said it was connected but could not access
> an address from the network. I'm sure I'm missing something really simple,
> but cannot find it.
>
> I went back to the router and changed the name back and everything works
> fine, but how do I change the name and get the laptop to connect properly.
>
> Any suggestions would be welcome.
>
> Tim Boniwell
>
> --
> Please reply to
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> All email sent by me is checked
> for viruses before dispatch

Tim Boniwell

Thanks Mike, for taking the trouble to give some thought to my problem.

I had changed the name in my router, then gone to the wireless network that
came up as accessible on the laptop and re-entered the encryption there, but
although the laptop said it was connected it said it was also still trying
to access the "address" and I could not access the network to do anything
with it. Could Windows be confused because the newly named network had the
same encryption key as the old one? Of course only the name was changed -
everything else remained the same.

Once I changed the name back to the old name on the router all worked OK
again. Any further ideas?

Thanks again,

Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...