Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Make HTML code show up on the web

Make HTML code show up on the web

Bob

http://robertlindsay.blogspot.com/20...how-up-on.html

I think I solved it. Please feel free to read and critique the
solution.

Bergamot

Bob wrote:

> I think I solved it.

I think you multi-posted.

Berg

Harlan Messinger

Bob wrote:
> http://robertlindsay.blogspot.com/20...how-up-on.html
>
> I think I solved it. Please feel free to read and critique the
> solution.

There wasn't a problem to solve. You just decided for some reason of
your own that a Rube Goldberg approach was better than just typing
"&lt;" for "<" and "&amp;" for "&".

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2008-04-15, Bob wrote:
> http://robertlindsay.blogspot.com/20...how-up-on.html
>
> I think I solved it. Please feel free to read and critique the
> solution.

That's a lot of trouble for something simple.

As someone else already pointed out, you can just change (using a
tool such as sed) '<' to '&lt;' and '&' to '&amp;'.

Alternatively, you can rename the file from file.html to file.txt
(or make a link from one name to the other).

Author:

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Chris F.A. Johnson:

> Alternatively, you can rename the file from file.html to file.txt

That might not help in all cases.

First, the file name suffix has no magic in itself. It's the HTTP
headers that specify whether a resource is to be treated as HTML, as
plain text, or as something else. On the other hand, using ".txt"
_usually_ makes the server send a header that tells that the resource is
plain text.

Second, IE has been observed to ignore the HTTP header and treat data as
HTML, if IE "thinks" that it "looks like" HTML. This is all wrong, but
what can you do?

And does it matter? Anyone who can possibly benefit from seeing HTML
markup probably knows how to do View Source. On the other hand, HTML
markup written by someone who does odd tricks to do a simple thing and
multiposts advice on it is hardly worth copying or imitating.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Bob

On Apr 16, 12:22 am, "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Scripsit Chris F.A. Johnson:
>
> > Alternatively, you can rename the file from file.html to file.txt

> That might not help in all cases.
>
> First, the file name suffix has no magic in itself. It's the HTTP
> headers that specify whether a resource is to be treated as HTML, as
> plain text, or as something else. On the other hand, using ".txt"
> _usually_ makes the server send a header that tells that the resource is
> plain text.
>
> Second, IE has been observed to ignore the HTTP header and treat data as
> HTML, if IE "thinks" that it "looks like" HTML. This is all wrong, but
> what can you do?
>
> And does it matter? Anyone who can possibly benefit from seeing HTML
> markup probably knows how to do View Source. On the other hand, HTML
> markup written by someone who does odd tricks to do a simple thing and
> multiposts advice on it is hardly worth copying or imitating.
>
> --
> Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

I h

Bob

On Apr 16, 12:22 am, "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Scripsit Chris F.A. Johnson:
>
> > Alternatively, you can rename the file from file.html to file.txt

> That might not help in all cases.
>
> First, the file name suffix has no magic in itself. It's the HTTP
> headers that specify whether a resource is to be treated as HTML, as
> plain text, or as something else. On the other hand, using ".txt"
> _usually_ makes the server send a header that tells that the resource is
> plain text.
>
> Second, IE has been observed to ignore the HTTP header and treat data as
> HTML, if IE "thinks" that it "looks like" HTML. This is all wrong, but
> what can you do?
>
> And does it matter? Anyone who can possibly benefit from seeing HTML
> markup probably knows how to do View Source. On the other hand, HTML
> markup written by someone who does odd tricks to do a simple thing and
> multiposts advice on it is hardly worth copying or imitating.
>
> --
> Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

I have to multipost. I don't have a newsreader and I got rid of my
news account. I post from Google groups so there is no way to cross
post, unless I have not figured it out yet.

Els

Bob wrote:

> I have to multipost. I don't have a newsreader and I got rid of my
> news account. I post from Google groups so there is no way to cross
> post, unless I have not figured it out yet.

In my Google Groups 'new post' form, I see a field "To Newsgroups". My
guess is that that is meant to be plural. Especially since right below
that file there's a sentence saying "(Separate multiple groups with
commas)".

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Bob:

> I have to multipost.

Thank you for the clarification. Now we know that we need to kill-
file you.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Nick Theodorakis

Bob wrote:
> I have to multipost. I don't have a newsreader and I got rid of my
> news account. I post from Google groups so there is no way to cross
> post, unless I have not figured it out yet.

You just type in the other newsgroups in the "Newsgroups" field,
separated by commas.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis