Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless connections control

Wireless connections control

WebNewsReader

How can I control the wireless connections (using user authentication) ?
There is any free software to do that ?
I would like authentication by username and password, bandwidth control.
I will use a AP connected to a PC. Windows XP or windows 98 are avaiable,
but linux is also a posssibility.
I supose that a windows server with isa server would be better, but I prefer
a cheaper way
Any help ?

Nobody

You could probably setup an access list by MAC address within the router,
that would be a form of "user name". The enable WEP and that would
be your password.

"WebNewsReader" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> How can I control the wireless connections (using user authentication) ?
> There is any free software to do that ?
> I would like authentication by username and password, bandwidth control.
> I will use a AP connected to a PC. Windows XP or windows 98 are avaiable,
> but linux is also a posssibility.
> I supose that a windows server with isa server would be better, but I

prefer
> a cheaper way
> Any help ?

kapil [MSFT]

You can make use of the Internet Authentication Service ( IAS) available
with Windows Server.
This website can provide more details
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx

The AP can act as an IAS client.
--
************************************************** *****************************************
************************************************** *****************************************

"WebNewsReader" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> How can I control the wireless connections (using user authentication) ?
> There is any free software to do that ?
> I would like authentication by username and password, bandwidth control.
> I will use a AP connected to a PC. Windows XP or windows 98 are avaiable,
> but linux is also a posssibility.
> I supose that a windows server with isa server would be better, but I
> prefer
> a cheaper way
> Any help ?

Jack \(MVP\)

Hi

On peer to peer Network (I.e. using Win98 or and WinXP) the Wireless client
does not log to a computer (server) but to the Access Point. Entry Level
Access Point has no provision to control log on with User name and Password.
When a Wireless Client logs to in order to Use the Internet your Network
computers are Not even part of the picture.

So short of Installing Windows 2003 (which is the right solution). Secure
your Wireless to the max. and use Airsnare to alert you to intruders.

Configure Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

AirSnare - http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/index.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).