Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Voipraider.com ip address

Voipraider.com ip address

hammond

All my voipraider.com calls are being charged whilst voipcheap.com
calls are not. I think this maybe because I have a dynamic IP address.
How do I get round this can I use Voxalot or something, how long will
I need the same IP address for, for the calls to be free ?

Brian A

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 08:03:08 -0700 (PDT), hammond
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>All my voipraider.com calls are being charged whilst voipcheap.com
>calls are not. I think this maybe because I have a dynamic IP address.
>How do I get round this can I use Voxalot or something, how long will
>I need the same IP address for, for the calls to be free ?

I use Voxalot for justVoip and it works fine. The possibility of the
IP changing is the reason I am not making any justVoip calls direct
from my ATA.
I put the question, re what happened if the IP changed etc., in a post
recently, and no one appeared to have an answer. You might be the
guinea pig here. I guess that the 7 day thing might have a bearing on
it. You might have to miss out on 1 day or even 7 - who can tell! I
would start by using voxalot and waiting one day before you make any
calls. Make one call on one day and, if you get charged, try again the
following day.

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---

hammond

Things is I only really want to use landline to landline or via an
access number

Brian A

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 18:25:51 +0100, Jono <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>on 14/04/2008, Brian A supposed :
>> On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 08:03:08 -0700 (PDT), hammond
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> All my voipraider.com calls are being charged whilst voipcheap.com
>>> calls are not. I think this maybe because I have a dynamic IP address.
>>> How do I get round this can I use Voxalot or something, how long will
>>> I need the same IP address for, for the calls to be free ?

>> I use Voxalot for justVoip and it works fine. The possibility of the
>> IP changing is the reason I am not making any justVoip calls direct
>> from my ATA.
>> I put the question, re what happened if the IP changed etc., in a post
>> recently, and no one appeared to have an answer. You might be the
>> guinea pig here. I guess that the 7 day thing might have a bearing on
>> it. You might have to miss out on 1 day or even 7 - who can tell! I
>> would start by using voxalot and waiting one day before you make any
>> calls. Make one call on one day and, if you get charged, try again the
>> following day.
>>

>Their "per unique IP address" rule is to stop call centres using the
>service with a single tenner's credit; not to make dynamic IP
>addresses cost more to use......

I agree that this was introduced to stop fraud but it is a case of
what is the 'fall out' for the ordinary honest user. They actually say
"per unique IP address" on JustVoip. An IP address is 'unique' so I
think they have chosen the wrong word here. I think they mean per
single, static IP address - and therein lies the problem. Just last
week I set up an SPA-3102 for some relations. I did consider setting
up the ATA to make calls directly but I couldn't take the risk with
someone else's set up - thus I chose to use Voxalot because I know
that it will work consistently. As, currently, they only want to make
outgoing calls there was no extra cost involved. The OP is now
experiencing what I feared might happen.

---

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:37:17 +0100, "Pet - www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Brian A wrote:
>
>> I agree that this was introduced to stop fraud but it is a case of
>> what is the 'fall out' for the ordinary honest user. They actually say
>> "per unique IP address" on JustVoip. An IP address is 'unique' so I
>> think they have chosen the wrong word here.
>> I think they mean per
>> single, static IP address -

>Why?
>I have 3 internet connections through 2 separate accounts 2 of which
>have dynamic IP Addresses. Both home connection and work connection use
>the same voipcheap account to dial out, thereby using the same minutes
>in other words doubling up on the free minutes.

When you say 'doubling up' what do you mean exactly. Presumably you
are still only getting your 300mins/7 days maximum.
Still, it is surprising that you have managed to use 2 dynamic IPs on
the same account.

>> and therein lies the problem. Just last
>> week I set up an SPA-3102 for some relations. I did consider setting
>> up the ATA to make calls directly but I couldn't take the risk with
>> someone else's set up -

>I would have thought using voxalot was _more_ of a risk.
>How can setting up an ATA to do what it's made to do be risky?

Only because there were people who were using their free call
allowance in a fraudulent way. It is because of this that the IP
condition was introduced.

>All you are doing by using voxalot surely is introducing an additional
>point of failure into the chain.

That is very true.

>Am I missing something?

Yes, just one thing. There was a problem using Voxalot but there was
collaboration to sort it out. The use of Voxalot with Betamax services
seems to be assured.

>Pete

---

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 23:56:59 +0100, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Brian A wrote:
>
>>> in other words doubling up on the free minutes.

>> When you say 'doubling up' what do you mean exactly. Presumably you
>> are still only getting your 300mins/7 days maximum.

>Well, no, if I ever managed to use more than 300 minutes per 7 days I
>could tell you, however home<->work calls are sip<->sip through
>voipfone.co.uk so they are free regardless then.
>Between home and work calls from two separate ADSL connections we don't
>(too my knowledge) ever go past 7 hours a week though there is no way of
>telling really as we're using 2 different IP addresses. :)
>
>> Still, it is surprising that you have managed to use 2 dynamic IPs on
>> the same account.

>Static or dynamic makes no odds. You don't actually have to have the ATA
>registered to make an outboud call. the call is made through the
>internet using your account number and password.
>ATA registration is only needed if youhave an incoming voip number so
>your ATA can tell your VOIP provider your _current_ registered IP
>address whether it is the same as yesterday of has changed in the last
>10 minutes (unlikely unless you have re-booted your modem (able or ADSL)
>
>> Only because there were people who were using their free call
>> allowance in a fraudulent way. It is because of this that the IP
>> condition was introduced.

>They wouldn't have been using it in a "fraudulent" way. A more
>fraudulent way would be to aquire a fresh IP address once you had hit
>your free minute allowance then start a fresh with new IP address.
>.....but that's not fraudulent as they say it's OK to do.
>I guess the rare minority that feel the need to squeeze extra minutes is
>so small it's not a financial issue.
>
>>> Am I missing something?

>> Yes, just one thing. There was a problem using Voxalot but there was
>> collaboration to sort it out. The use of Voxalot with Betamax services
>> seems to be assured.

>no, I mean, why are you using voxalot in the first place?
> From my own usage I can't understand the need for it.

I use it for several reasons, the main ones are:-
1. I can register more than 1 incoming number to ring on one phone.
In fact I only register 1 number, the other number is pointed at
Voxalot. I don't use Betamax for incoming calls.
2. I can divert calls to voicemail on a timed basis.
3. I can send certain unwanted calls to oblivion.
4. I can divert to my mobile, or other phone, if I am going to be away
from home for a while.
5. I can have a common voicemail box for both incoming numbers.

....and, yes, Jono, now I think about it, I agree with you re the point
you made about the one IP from Voxalot being an original culprit in
the 'so called' fraudulent use.

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---

Chris Davies

Jose <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Don't take it personally - I never heard of Betamax ever replying to
> one single customer ;-P

I got a reply from them and it was (nearly) helpful. Once.
Chris