Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Why can I not make it work right?

Why can I not make it work right?

Travis Newbury

On Apr 14, 2:46 pm, Neredbojias <me@http://www.neredbojias.com/_eml/
fliam.php> wrote:
> Happy Monday??? Ugh. Why don't you go scratch your ass...

I did, that's why it's a happy monday...

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ok so like what the sam hell is the trick here to get a division to
> float where I want it to?
> When I display it in FF, "name" and "label" appear on two seperate
> lines.with a float:left for "label".
>
> Using the same example dorayme gave, it worked just fine.
> I go to add in other css elements and it won't float. No how no way.
> So what am I not doing right?
>

> .bigbox { width:500px; height:200px;...}
> .row1 {text-align:center;...}
> .row2a {width:20%;}
> .row2b { float:left; width:30%;}

In a thread called "Back to basics on divisions" on this ng yesterday or
so, I gave you some code and replied to you about some difficulties you
had then when you found your variations not working. Without knowing, at
that stage, what changes you had made. You changed the thread and the
dummy content (why either?) and here we are back.

The reason for your difficulty in the above is that the first child div,
'row1' is not an inline element, it is a block and plonks itself down as
a box while the browser then asks, "OK, what's on the next line?"
The answer is, a floated div. So that is where it goes - on the next
line - and jammed up to the left as is its nature.

If you put the float where I put it in the code - on the first child
'row2a' - you have a div that is taken out of the flow. Here was my css
(I adapt to your changed text):

div {border: 1px solid; text-align: center;}
..bigbox {width: 40em;}
..row2a {float:left; width:50%;}

The following div (row2b) now thinks "Hey, here I go" as it looks at the
*very same line* the float is on. The float is out of the flow and so
the line has a notice on it, as it were: "the line is still free, so if
you following elements want a place in this flow, just plonk yourself
right here on this line providing you can fit"

Now, in my code, I gave no instructions about width for this second
child. It was simply the default 100% width. Well, there is plenty of
room for the div on the line for its 100% width because the float is out
of the flow, it sits on top of this div!

It is a tricky matter, I agree, to understand some basic things about
flow, floats and block elements. None of it is at all intuitive or
commonsensical. Even the "providing you can fit" hides a multitude of
issues.

[There are some very interesting issues that emerge if you give the
second child in my code a width that is less than 56% which anyone is
welcome to raise with me.]

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mike Barnard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 20:51:20 +1000, dorayme
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >> you'd better look at the example
> >> code on page 1. It doesn't match the descriptons. If you're not then
> >> look anyway and laugh at the author.

> >Match*? If I have erred, I will correct. Always hard to proof one's own
> >stories.
> >
> >Before you jump in though, please verify that the sort of code in the
> >captions does *not* give you the result that is being talked about and
> >meant in the text.

> OK, what I meant was...
>

> "...Let us put an explicit height on them both, see how they might
> then appear and compare:"
>
> Fig 3. <div style="width:500px;"></div>
>
> There is no explicit height in the text although it must be in the
> source.

Having just said we shall put an explicit height, I assumed my readers
would trust me and I was lazy to repeat in the caption! I did a lot of
quick judging and editing of what was sufficient for the captions to
keep them short but give the general idea along with the main text. But
I am thinking you are right and it would lessen confusion. I will put it
in. It is in now! Thank you. I have been meaning to find time to go
through all the captions... bit boring now it is done!

> " ... whereas the one in (3) has no width at all."
> "I know, it seems queer that the div in (3) has a height but no
> width..."
>
> Yes it has, 500px.

Thanks Mike, really, I appreciate this one even more, it was plain wrong
in the caption, should have read 0 as in the real code. Fixed.

> And I love figure 5. I wonder if a use could be made of it on a page?

Oh I should show you my border art and div art one day...

But keep that proof-reading up old son! In return, I will commission you
to give me a fire-risk assessment for some of my hotter websites. <g>

--------------------------
[If anyone does see obvious mistakes, but prefers not to associate with
me publicly (which is perfectly understandable given my despicable and
cowardly and rude public demeanour) there is always the privacy of
email!

Why, I hate to gossip like this but, only the other day, at our little
tete a tete in his luxurious killfile, JK was saying that if he was not
able to meet me so regularly in it, he would like to email me privately
and would I mind very much. He explained that a named individual with a
persona of great authority cannot be seen to be consorting with the
likes of me in public. We discussed this in terms of the interesting
counterfactuals depicted and our little morning session was longer than
usual on that occasion. My my how sweetly these meetings are going.]

--
dorayme

Travis Newbury

On Apr 14, 10:29 pm, Neredbojias <me@http://www.neredbojias.com/_eml/
fliam.php> wrote:
> >> Happy Monday??? Ugh. Why don't you go scratch your ass...

> > I did, that's why it's a happy monday...

> Oh. Well what do you scratch on Tuesday?

Nothing. Tuesday is "probe" day...

Travis Newbury

On Apr 15, 7:33 pm, Neredbojias <me@http://www.neredbojias.com/_eml/
fliam.php> wrote:
> > Nothing. Tuesday is "probe" day...

> Hemorrhoids, huh?

Sigh.... one of many ailment... (suckx getting old)

> One day last week while browsing The Net, I can across a
> site with an ad for something that claimed it could not only shrink
> hemorrhoids without surgery but induce penile enlargement with the same
> process.

LINK? LINK????

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias wrote:

>>> Hemorrhoids, huh?

>> Sigh.... one of many ailment... (suckx getting old)

> Think how Blinky feels. He's an old fish.

Old fish never die. They just&@#@*^%%*NO CARRIER

Jonathan N. Little

Neredbojias wrote:
> On 16 Apr 2008, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Old fish never die. They just&@#@*^%%*NO CARRIER

> Ooo, I know. They just fin-ish...

No they just get sea-nile...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Travis Newbury

On Apr 17, 11:17 am, Sherman Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Old fish never die. They just&@#@*^%%*NO CARRIER

> > Ooo, I know. They just fin-ish...

> Old fish never die, they just go to pisces.

you guys are really fishing for some laughs here

Jonathan N. Little

Travis Newbury wrote:
>>> Ooo, I know. They just fin-ish...

>> Old fish never die, they just go to pisces.

> you guys are really fishing for some laughs here

And hooked you though...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Neredbojias wrote:
>> On 16 Apr 2008, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Old fish never die. They just&@#@*^%%*NO CARRIER

>> Ooo, I know. They just fin-ish...
>>

> No they just get sea-nile...

There's one I hadn't heard before. Five points.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups