Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Where do we draw the line?

Where do we draw the line?

Dudley Hanks

"Alienjones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ftvci1$ld8$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Dudley Hanks wrote:
>

> | Now, Douglas, is that really called for? Isn't the copyright notice
> on your
> | site sufficient protection on its own?
> |
> | Besides, I don't at present derive any photographically generated
> income,
> | and, if I did, only images I have shot myself would be worth anything,
> | either to me or my customers. Moreover, given that I have only about 2%
> | vision, wouldn't it be a bit obvious I've stolen someone else's work if
> | were to present a technically perfect photograph as part of my
> collection?
> |
> | Take Care,
> | Dudley
> |

> Apparently Dudley People like some of those who offered you advise have
> no regard for the copyright or other people. One such person is Paul
> Furman who pretended to offer you advise on composition of your picture.
>
> He took some of my images, without my permission,

Fair Dealing...

illegally altered them

Analyzed them...

> without my consent and attempted to discredit my findings of an example
> of two different cameras, with thousands of dollars price difference not
> producing all that different a quality image with the altered images.

He had the audacity to disagree with you...

> Despite legal action being commenced today against his host, he figured

Again? Shouldn't you wait for the last legal action you launched against
his ISP to wrap up?

> he'd leave the evidence in place with just the index image removed. So
> yes... Reminding people reading this thread that my images are copyright
> and that I will pursue my intellectual property rights in protecting
> myself against such idiots is very timely.

A complete waste of time and bandwidth?

> I don't for a single moment suggest you are in the same gutter as he is.

No, my gutter is much colder...

> The warning was timely for the other idiots inhabiting these photo
> groups who think nothing is illegal on Usenet.

Sorry, couldn't think of anything humourous to end on...

Take Care,
Dudley

Dudley Hanks

"Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> Alienjones wrote:
>>
>> Cynicor wrote:
>> have
>> picture.

>> them
>> example
>> not
>> |
>> | Which law states that he can't take your image, alter it, and redisplay
>> | it for non-commercial purposes?
>>

>> The DMC Act specifically forbids use of a person's Intellectual Property
>> in another person's copyright work... It's called Plagiarism.

> I would not be surprised if the DMCA also made this post illegal because
> Sony had copyrighted the word "the".

And, didn't McDonald's copyright the word "copyright"? Or, was it "McCopy,"
I can't remember...

> Paul
>> Furman used my images in a web page he clearly copyrighted in his own
>> name with no reference or courtesy note as to where he got the images
>> from. That is illegal.
>>
>> I also have copyright protection from people who would use my copyright
>> work in a way that may insult, harass or defame me. Paul Furman sought
>> to take my images, alter them in a way that made my opinion and findings
>> ~ *seem* to be wrong and sought to discredit me with them. That is
>> illegal.
>>
>> Fair use of copyright material specifically excluded the uses Paul
>> Furman put my images to.

Dudley Hanks

"Rob Morley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> In article <WFAMj.23693$KP5.4814@edtnps89>, Dudley Hanks
>
>> As for the pic itself, is there anything else that needs attention? Too
>> busy? Bad pose? Other?
>>

> Great pose. A couple of bits of conifer around her ears are catching
> the light and are a bit distracting, but could easily be darkened.

Thanks, Rob, I'll get my son to see if he can tone it down a bit. He's just
learning how to use Photoshop, so he likes doing this kind of stuff. But,
being a teenager, his attention span sometimes gets a bit short, so he
doesn't always catch these things...

Take Care,
Dudley

Dudley Hanks

"Ray Fischer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4802dfa0$0$36335$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dudley Hanks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Crop lines, that is...
>>
>>http://www.geocities.com/hanks.dudley/Dima.html

> If you move the doggy away from the tree by a several feet then you
> can use a wide aperture to throw the tree out of focus and make it
> clear that the dog is the subject of the photo. I'd also

Not coming from a portrait photography background, this is one thing I keep
forgetting. I think to myself, "I want trees for a backdrop," so I position
myself with the branches scraping my neck and get Dima to hit the ground in
front of me. Then I sneek in front of her and snap the shot. I've got to
alter this methodology and take a couple of steps to ensure sufficient room
gets inserted.

However, I'm shooting with a Canon Powershot A720, so depth-of-field is
fairly deep, even at f/2.8; I'm not sure I'll be able to put enough
distance in to get the effect I want. I may have to change locations
entirely.

get down
> lower to get rid of the ground.

I think I need to couple this suggestion with others I've received to crop
tighter. Up till now, I've been simply content to get my subject in the
frame, not too far away from my target zone.

I'm getting more used to the way my camera captures and processes an area,
so I can start paying more attention to getting closer and cropping out
extrenuous areas such as the grassy area in front. Thanks for pointing that
one out.

I'm making a list of all the suggestions I receive, and I'll be reviewing it
prior to each shoot in the future.

This should help a lot.

Take Care,
Dudley

Alienjones

Dudley Hanks wrote:
| "Alienjones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:ftvci1$ld8$(E-Mail Removed)...
|>
|> Dudley Hanks wrote:

|> |
|> | Now, Douglas, is that really called for? Isn't the copyright notice
|> on your
|> | site sufficient protection on its own?
|> |
|> | Besides, I don't at present derive any photographically generated
|> income,
|> | and, if I did, only images I have shot myself would be worth anything,
|> | either to me or my customers. Moreover, given that I have only
about 2%
|> | vision, wouldn't it be a bit obvious I've stolen someone else's
work if
|> | were to present a technically perfect photograph as part of my
|> collection?
|> |
|> | Take Care,
|> | Dudley
|> |
|> |

|> Apparently Dudley People like some of those who offered you advise have
|> no regard for the copyright or other people. One such person is Paul
|> Furman who pretended to offer you advise on composition of your picture.
|>
|> He took some of my images, without my permission,
|
| Fair Dealing...
|
| illegally altered them
|
| Analyzed them...
|
|> without my consent and attempted to discredit my findings of an example
|> of two different cameras, with thousands of dollars price difference not
|> producing all that different a quality image with the altered images.
|
| He had the audacity to disagree with you...
|
|> Despite legal action being commenced today against his host, he figured
|
| Again? Shouldn't you wait for the last legal action you launched against
| his ISP to wrap up?
|
|> he'd leave the evidence in place with just the index image removed. So
|> yes... Reminding people reading this thread that my images are copyright
|> and that I will pursue my intellectual property rights in protecting
|> myself against such idiots is very timely.
|
| A complete waste of time and bandwidth?
|
|> I don't for a single moment suggest you are in the same gutter as he is.
|
| No, my gutter is much colder...
|
|> The warning was timely for the other idiots inhabiting these photo
|> groups who think nothing is illegal on Usenet.
|
| Sorry, couldn't think of anything humourous to end on...
|
| Take Care,
| Dudley

You're doing pretty well for a blind person if you can't see my
portraits but you can see Furman's plagiarism of my photos.

- --

from Douglas,
If my PGP key is missing, the
post is a forgery. Ignore it.

tony cooper

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 13:22:33 -0700, "Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>> I didn't mind the tree pointing up and away from the dog. I see it
>>> as a not-so-subtle metaphor, something of a consoling apparition
>>> regarding the dog's and your circumstances.

>> This observation is why I posted my earlier comment about what
>> Dudley is trying to do; provide an image of his dog, or provide a
>> composition that includes an image of the dog. If you view it from
>> the "composition that includes an image of the dog", then the
>> symbolic arrow - formed by the trees - pointing to the heavens over
>> a dog that is terminally ill becomes a vital part of the
>> composition. If it's intended as an image of his dog, then I feel
>> the trees become a distraction.

>I guess you must have thought I didn't understand. That explains why
>you posted this comment.
>
>Done and done.

No, I really didn't give any thought to whether or not you understood.
If anything, I assumed you did. We're just voicing some parallel
thoughts along with some differences in reaction to the image. Nuffin
wrong with that.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Dudley Hanks

"Alienjones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fu15pe$ke6$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Dudley Hanks wrote:
> | "Alienjones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | news:ftvci1$ld8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> |>
> |> Dudley Hanks wrote:
> |>
> |> |
> |> on your
> |> |
> |> income,
> anything,
> about 2%
> work if
> |> collection?
> |> |
> |> |
> |> |

> |> Apparently Dudley People like some of those who offered you advise have
> |> no regard for the copyright or other people. One such person is Paul
> |> Furman who pretended to offer you advise on composition of your
> picture.
> |>
> |> He took some of my images, without my permission,
> |
> | Fair Dealing...
> |
> | illegally altered them
> |
> | Analyzed them...
> |
> |> without my consent and attempted to discredit my findings of an example
> |> of two different cameras, with thousands of dollars price difference
> not
> |> producing all that different a quality image with the altered images.
> |
> | He had the audacity to disagree with you...
> |
> |> Despite legal action being commenced today against his host, he figured
> |
> | Again? Shouldn't you wait for the last legal action you launched
> against
> | his ISP to wrap up?
> |
> |> he'd leave the evidence in place with just the index image removed. So
> |> yes... Reminding people reading this thread that my images are
> copyright
> |> and that I will pursue my intellectual property rights in protecting
> |> myself against such idiots is very timely.
> |
> | A complete waste of time and bandwidth?
> |
> |> I don't for a single moment suggest you are in the same gutter as he
> is.
> |
> | No, my gutter is much colder...
> |
> |> The warning was timely for the other idiots inhabiting these photo
> |> groups who think nothing is illegal on Usenet.
> |
> | Sorry, couldn't think of anything humourous to end on...
> |
> | Take Care,
> | Dudley
> |

> You're doing pretty well for a blind person if you can't see my
> portraits but you can see Furman's plagiarism of my photos.
>
> - --
>
> from Douglas,
> If my PGP key is missing, the
> post is a forgery. Ignore it.

I haven't seen the actual images, but I've followed the threads. The images
don't matter, only legal principles...

Take Care,
Dudley

Dudley Hanks

"Alienjones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fu15pe$ke6$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Dudley Hanks wrote:
> | "Alienjones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | news:ftvci1$ld8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> |>
> |> Dudley Hanks wrote:
> |>
> |> |
> |> on your
> |> |
> |> income,
> anything,
> about 2%
> work if
> |> collection?
> |> |
> |> |
> |> |

> |> Apparently Dudley People like some of those who offered you advise have
> |> no regard for the copyright or other people. One such person is Paul
> |> Furman who pretended to offer you advise on composition of your
> picture.
> |>
> |> He took some of my images, without my permission,
> |
> | Fair Dealing...
> |
> | illegally altered them
> |
> | Analyzed them...
> |
> |> without my consent and attempted to discredit my findings of an example
> |> of two different cameras, with thousands of dollars price difference
> not
> |> producing all that different a quality image with the altered images.
> |
> | He had the audacity to disagree with you...
> |
> |> Despite legal action being commenced today against his host, he figured
> |
> | Again? Shouldn't you wait for the last legal action you launched
> against
> | his ISP to wrap up?
> |
> |> he'd leave the evidence in place with just the index image removed. So
> |> yes... Reminding people reading this thread that my images are
> copyright
> |> and that I will pursue my intellectual property rights in protecting
> |> myself against such idiots is very timely.
> |
> | A complete waste of time and bandwidth?
> |
> |> I don't for a single moment suggest you are in the same gutter as he
> is.
> |
> | No, my gutter is much colder...
> |
> |> The warning was timely for the other idiots inhabiting these photo
> |> groups who think nothing is illegal on Usenet.
> |
> | Sorry, couldn't think of anything humourous to end on...
> |
> | Take Care,
> | Dudley
> |

> You're doing pretty well for a blind person if you can't see my
> portraits but you can see Furman's plagiarism of my photos.
>
> - --
>
> from Douglas,
> If my PGP key is missing, the
> post is a forgery. Ignore it.

My condition (retinitis pigmentosa) has been documented by the genetics
department of the University of Alberta since I was 14 years old. The
physical deterioration of both the blood vessels in my eye and my retina can
be observed by any optomatrist. I am a member of the Canadian National
Institute for the Blind, an institute which requires medical verification of
blindness prior to registration. I am a certified guide dog handler,
acreddited by Guide Dogs for the Blind Inc with head offices in San Rafael,
California -- also an institute which requires medical verification of
blindness prior to accepting a candidate for training. I received my first
guide dog from that organization 15 years ago.

Very thorough documentation of my condition can (and will) be provided upon
request (COD).

Take Care,
Dudley

Alienjones

Dudley Hanks wrote:
| "Alienjones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:fu15pe$ke6$(E-Mail Removed)...
|
| You're doing pretty well for a blind person if you can't see my
| portraits but you can see Furman's plagiarism of my photos.
|

| My condition (retinitis pigmentosa) has been documented by the genetics
| department of the University of Alberta since I was 14 years old. The
| physical deterioration of both the blood vessels in my eye and my
retina can
| be observed by any optomatrist. I am a member of the Canadian National
| Institute for the Blind, an institute which requires medical
verification of
| blindness prior to registration. I am a certified guide dog handler,
| acreddited by Guide Dogs for the Blind Inc with head offices in San
Rafael,
| California -- also an institute which requires medical verification of
| blindness prior to accepting a candidate for training. I received my
first
| guide dog from that organization 15 years ago.

| Very thorough documentation of my condition can (and will) be provided
upon
| request (COD).

| Take Care,
| Dudley

Dudley... I did not question your blindness, I gave you a complement
that you were doing pretty well for a blind person.

My mother was a life member of the Victorian Institute for the blind in
Australia. I have a great deal of contact with legally blind people. One
of my friends is legally blind and she too does pretty well for a blind
person. Holding guitar lessons and creating some really strange water
colour paintings.

You may well be defensive for good reason. I am not one of your
detractors. Consider me a supporter if you want to class me as anything.

I have an issue with 3 people on the Internet who are mischief makers.
Paul Furman is one of them. The ting you need to be aware of is that
posting to a public forum does not in itself give you ownership of the
thread you create.

I will continue to highlight the theft of my intellectual property
whenever someone who has misused it presents the opportunity. The thread
you started encouraged a couple of misfits looking for mischief to cross
post it to aus.photo in the hope of making some entertainment for
themselves yet I notice you either didn't see what they did or don't care.

Whichever is of no consequence to me but it is relevant to what you said
earlier about "using your thread" to expose Paul Furman's copyright
abuse. I am not the only person to do what you speak out about but
seemingly the only one you choose to chastise.

- --

from Douglas,
If my PGP key is missing, the
post is a forgery. Ignore it.

Dudley Hanks

"tony cooper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 03:21:00 GMT, "Dudley Hanks"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Crop lines, that is...
>>
>>http://www.geocities.com/hanks.dudley/Dima.html
>>

> Kinda depends on what you are trying to present. Are you presenting
> an image of Dima, or presenting a composition with Dima in the image?
>
> There's an interesting pyramid of the lighter fir (pun intended)
> behind Dima, but - in my opinion - it leads the eye away from the dog.
> It's like a big arrow directing the eye to go upwards.
>
> If your intent is present an image of Dima, then I'd crop it
> horizontally lose the trees. Put Dima's tags on a vertical line about
> a third of the way from the left of image.
> http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...er213/dima.jpg
>
> Overall, your composition is too balanced for my taste. Static.
>

> --
>
> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Thanks, Tony, I appreciate the feedback.

Concert photography was what I loved doing in the past, so action, drama
energy were what I strove for. With my present current shift to more still
life type shots, it's taking a bit of experimentation to achieve the effect
I want. So, I am grateful you pointed out the overall static atmosphere.

As for my intention, I am not so much into doing a portrait of Dima;
rather, I want a composition which tells a bit of her story. When we
graduated, GDB brought in a pro shooter to do a grad portrait of the two of
us, so I have a shot of her in harness by my side which looks very nice.

With my first guide, Bonner, he loved to lay around on the beach. When we
were on holidays, when we frequented the beach areas of Vancouver, Canada,
and the Sunshine Coast (a bit north of Vancouver), Bonner was in his glory
just lazing around, lying on the sand and trying to dig holes (when I wasn't
looking). So, I took a good shot of him in that setting, a very low-angle
shot taken from just in front of a fore-paw, his head lifted, mouth open in
a smile like expression and his eyes gazing out over the water. The shot
was low enough that his head was surrounded by sky, and the light -- nearly
white -- sand adding contrast to his darker fur.

When people think of guide dogs, they have this stereotypical view of guides
which excludes the dog's real nature. What people miss is that guides have
a life out of harness as well. I don't want just another shot of my guide,
in harness, on the job, playing a supportive role. I want the shot to say
something about my guide's soul.

In Dima's case, she loves the great outdoors. When we go camping, she
relishes in chasing squirrles, birds and little things that hop, scurry or
slither across the ground. She would run off into the trees and find a big
stick and bring it back. Then, we would play tug with it, and she would
chew it to pieces. She would wait for wasps, bees, dragon-flys and other
flying insects to get close. Then, she would whip out her muzzle and snag
them in mid-flight. She got stung a few times, but it never slowed her
down. one time, when she was in harness and we were at a busy bus stop,
waiting for a bus to take us home at the end of a busy day, she forgot
herself and leaped about four feet into the air from a sitting position,
snagging something that got too close. She snapped her jaws about 3 or four
times in mid-air before she got it, but she got it. At least, that is what
one of the totally shocked bystanders told me, after regaining her
composure. I think they thought Dima was a rogue guide who was about to go
for their throats -- sort of a Cujo in harness.

This is why I want something in the picture to symbolize the woods -- and
her spirit.

While I didn't plan the big arrow pointing to the sky, I like what it stands
for, and I want to thank you for pointing that compositional element out as
well. I have been thinking about doing a reshoot in a different area to see
what I get, but the composition you describe almost sounds poetic,
definitely prophetic.

Today, Dima is having a bit of an off day. I have been getting used to her
nearly back to normal demeanor, but she was a bit quieter and calmer today
than she usually is. I wouldn't say she has been lethargic, but definitely
more subdued.

I'll need to monitor her closely tonight, I think.

Thanks for the suggestions, Tony.

Take Care,
Dudley

gifs or jpgs won't draw on some pages dougbabacool@voila.fr Firefox 3 01-13-2006 11:20 PM
Can't draw new maps mapmaker Firefox 2 10-22-2004 03:31 AM
Re: !! IMPORTANT !! Problem with owner draw listbox Yair Cohen ASP .Net 0 09-04-2003 05:54 PM
tool to draw FSM bubble diagram Ingmar Seifert VHDL 5 08-01-2003 06:13 PM
Question: User control shows up at bottom / can't "draw" it VB Programmer ASP .Net 2 07-08-2003 08:09 PM

Advertisments