Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Bermuda Triangle

Wireless Bermuda Triangle

pubscout

I posted this on another group, but so far have come up empty.

Here's my deal: I have four computers. One is an iMac hardwired to my Belkin
router. The other three are laptops--one MacBook and two PC's running XP Pro.
All four can access the internet, three of them wirelessly.

My Macs can see each other, share files, copy files, etc. I'd like my PC's
to do the same. I don't care if the PC's can see the Macs. I'd like to be
able to share files between the two PC's, since one is in a remote part of
the house.

My problem: Everything I've tried, using HP help, Microsoft help and a next
door neighbor who claims expertise on PC's has proven unsuccessful. I've put
in about six hours on this and I'm where the title of this post suggests.

Isn't there a simple way to have these two computers recognize each other?

Thanks in advance.

pubscout

Did as you suggested, TP, but no results. I looked for the shared folder in
My Network Places and it wasn't there. If I went to "add a network place" it
told me that the folder was unavailable.

"Trespasser" wrote:

> "pubscout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I posted this on another group, but so far have come up empty.
> >
> > Here's my deal: I have four computers. One is an iMac hardwired to my
> > Belkin
> > router. The other three are laptops--one MacBook and two PC's running XP
> > Pro.
> > All four can access the internet, three of them wirelessly.
> >
> > My Macs can see each other, share files, copy files, etc. I'd like my PC's
> > to do the same. I don't care if the PC's can see the Macs. I'd like to be
> > able to share files between the two PC's, since one is in a remote part of
> > the house.
> >
> > My problem: Everything I've tried, using HP help, Microsoft help and a
> > next
> > door neighbor who claims expertise on PC's has proven unsuccessful. I've
> > put
> > in about six hours on this and I'm where the title of this post suggests.
> >
> > Isn't there a simple way to have these two computers recognize each other?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> >Try this:

> on the pc's (not macs) open a window,
> click 'tools'
> click 'folder options'
> click the "view" TAB
>

> Scroll all the way down and UNTICK 'use simple file sharing'
>
> ################
>
> Goto the folder or drive you want to share, now you have to set sharing
> permissions manually...... eg ....
> everyone......bob....bert.....mom....dad.....etc.. ..etc.
>
> probably "everyone" will suffice , but please make sure your wireless is
> secure !
>
> regards

pubscout

TP,

Voila! I think I've managed to connect the PC's so each can access the
other's files. Here's what I did:

I went to Network Connections and clicked "Create a new connection." The New
Connection Wizard appears. Click "Next."

Click "Set up an advanced Connection."
Click "Connect directly to another computer." Click next
Click Host. Click Next
Click Next again
Be sure "Guest" is checked. Click Next.

When you finish, you should see a new connection under the heading "Incoming."

Warning: all computers have to be on and running to share; they cannot be on
standby or hibernate.