Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WPA

Edward W. Thompson

I have just changed the security setting on my home wireless network
(desktop+laptop) from WEP to WPA. The deskyop connects to the router via
ethernet and the laptop via wireless. I have configured the laptop to WPA
with the appropriate key and the laptop communicates OK with the router and
to the net. However, the laptop task bar now shows an icon (screen with a
yellow exclamation mark) and the associated balloon states 'limited or no
connectivity'. Does this have any meaning and if so what? As I have said,
the laptop connects to the web and to my email account so all appears to be
OK no lack or limited connectivity is apparent, at least not yet . (WINXP
Pro SP2 on both machines).

I will appreciate your advice.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

1. If your computer is currently connected to the Internet and the LAN
without any connection problem, you may want to disable the message "Limited
or No Connectivity". Or check this search result.

Troubleshooting limited or no connectivity"This connection has limited or no
connectivity. " "You might not be able to access the Internet or some
network resources" ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/troublesh...nnectivity.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"Edward W. Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have just changed the security setting on my home wireless network
>(desktop+laptop) from WEP to WPA. The deskyop connects to the router via
>ethernet and the laptop via wireless. I have configured the laptop to WPA
>with the appropriate key and the laptop communicates OK with the router and
>to the net. However, the laptop task bar now shows an icon (screen with a
>yellow exclamation mark) and the associated balloon states 'limited or no
>connectivity'. Does this have any meaning and if so what? As I have said,
>the laptop connects to the web and to my email account so all appears to be
>OK no lack or limited connectivity is apparent, at least not yet .
>(WINXP Pro SP2 on both machines).
>
> I will appreciate your advice.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
It is probably the Icon of the Wire LAN card that almost every laptop has
too.
Look at the device manager if you there a wire LAN entry and you do do use
write click on it and disable it.
http://www.ezlan.net/example/dm_ok.jpg
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Edward W. Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have just changed the security setting on my home wireless network
>(desktop+laptop) from WEP to WPA. The deskyop connects to the router via
>ethernet and the laptop via wireless. I have configured the laptop to WPA
>with the appropriate key and the laptop communicates OK with the router and
>to the net. However, the laptop task bar now shows an icon (screen with a
>yellow exclamation mark) and the associated balloon states 'limited or no
>connectivity'. Does this have any meaning and if so what? As I have said,
>the laptop connects to the web and to my email account so all appears to be
>OK no lack or limited connectivity is apparent, at least not yet .
>(WINXP Pro SP2 on both machines).
>
> I will appreciate your advice.

Pavel A.

"Edward W. Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have just changed the security setting on my home wireless network
> (desktop+laptop) from WEP to WPA. The deskyop connects to the router via
> ethernet and the laptop via wireless. I have configured the laptop to WPA
> with the appropriate key and the laptop communicates OK with the router
> and to the net. However, the laptop task bar now shows an icon (screen
> with a yellow exclamation mark) and the associated balloon states 'limited
> or no connectivity'. Does this have any meaning and if so what? As I
> have said, the laptop connects to the web and to my email account so all
> appears to be OK no lack or limited connectivity is apparent, at least not
> yet . (WINXP Pro SP2 on both machines).

The 'limited or no connectivity' means usally that your adapter is set to
use dhcp,
but fails to obtain the IP address - though connection to the AP is
successful.
( "Limited" here is because other non-IP protocols may still work over this
connection )
This can mean encryption problems, as dhcp messages are
subject to the encryption.

--PA

Edward W. Thompson

"Pavel A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uoq$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Edward W. Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have just changed the security setting on my home wireless network
>> (desktop+laptop) from WEP to WPA. The deskyop connects to the router via
>> ethernet and the laptop via wireless. I have configured the laptop to
>> WPA with the appropriate key and the laptop communicates OK with the
>> router and to the net. However, the laptop task bar now shows an icon
>> (screen with a yellow exclamation mark) and the associated balloon states
>> 'limited or no connectivity'. Does this have any meaning and if so what?
>> As I have said, the laptop connects to the web and to my email account so
>> all appears to be OK no lack or limited connectivity is apparent, at
>> least not yet . (WINXP Pro SP2 on both machines).
>>

> The 'limited or no connectivity' means usally that your adapter is set to
> use dhcp,
> but fails to obtain the IP address - though connection to the AP is
> successful.
> ( "Limited" here is because other non-IP protocols may still work over
> this connection )
> This can mean encryption problems, as dhcp messages are
> subject to the encryption.
>
> --PA

Thanks to all for your advice.

Edward W. Thompson

"Edward W. Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have just changed the security setting on my home wireless network
>(desktop+laptop) from WEP to WPA. The deskyop connects to the router via
>ethernet and the laptop via wireless. I have configured the laptop to WPA
>with the appropriate key and the laptop communicates OK with the router and
>to the net. However, the laptop task bar now shows an icon (screen with a
>yellow exclamation mark) and the associated balloon states 'limited or no
>connectivity'. Does this have any meaning and if so what? As I have said,
>the laptop connects to the web and to my email account so all appears to be
>OK no lack or limited connectivity is apparent, at least not yet .
>(WINXP Pro SP2 on both machines).
>
> I will appreciate your advice.

Thanks for the advice. As a follow up I have been reading (Google) of some
having problems when changing from WEP to WPA when connecting to printers
that are hard wired to their routers I thought the WEP and WPA encryption
only applied to those devices that connect through a wireless link and not
to those devices that are hard wired. Is my understanding correct?

Pavel A.

"Edward W. Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Edward W. Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have just changed the security setting on my home wireless network
>>(desktop+laptop) from WEP to WPA. The deskyop connects to the router via
>>ethernet and the laptop via wireless. I have configured the laptop to WPA
>>with the appropriate key and the laptop communicates OK with the router
>>and to the net. However, the laptop task bar now shows an icon (screen
>>with a yellow exclamation mark) and the associated balloon states 'limited
>>or no connectivity'. Does this have any meaning and if so what? As I
>>have said, the laptop connects to the web and to my email account so all
>>appears to be OK no lack or limited connectivity is apparent, at least not
>>yet . (WINXP Pro SP2 on both machines).
>>
>> I will appreciate your advice.

> Thanks for the advice. As a follow up I have been reading (Google) of some
> having problems when changing from WEP to WPA when connecting to printers
> that are hard wired to their routers I thought the WEP and WPA
> encryption only applied to those devices that connect through a wireless
> link and not to those devices that are hard wired. Is my understanding
> correct?

Yes it is correct. However I don't know about that issue with printers.

Regards,
--PA