Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > HttpHandler

HttpHandler

Joe

Is it possible to return a page in the ProcessRequest method?
For example if someone enters www.mydomain.com/user/joe I want to return a
page user.aspx?user=joe but I don't want the URL to show in the browser. I
tried context.Server.Transfer but it always returns an error.
context.Request.Redirect works but then the URL changes.

Any ideas?

Thnaks,
Joe

George Ter-Saakov

Google "rewrite url in ASP.NET"

George.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it possible to return a page in the ProcessRequest method?
> For example if someone enters www.mydomain.com/user/joe I want to return a
> page user.aspx?user=joe but I don't want the URL to show in the browser. I
> tried context.Server.Transfer but it always returns an error.
> context.Request.Redirect works but then the URL changes.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thnaks,
> Joe

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Joe,

As George has mentioend, what you want to do is called "Url Rewriting" in
web application.

In ASP.NET, you can use a custom httpmodule to perform such URL rewriting
task. For example, in the "Begin_Request" event, you can parse the original
url and redirect the request to the actual url/page. Here are some web
articles introduced some of these means:

#Tip/Trick: Url Rewriting with ASP.NET
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archi...l-rewriting-wi
th-asp-net.aspx

#URL Rewriting in ASP.NET

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

--------------------
>From: "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: HttpHandler
>Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:10:14 -0400

>Is it possible to return a page in the ProcessRequest method?
>For example if someone enters www.mydomain.com/user/joe I want to return a
>page user.aspx?user=joe but I don't want the URL to show in the browser. I
>tried context.Server.Transfer but it always returns an error.
>context.Request.Redirect works but then the URL changes.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thnaks,
>Joe

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

hi Joe,

Have you got any progress on this or does the information in previous
mesages help you some?

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(E-Mail Removed).

ications.

--------------------

>From: (E-Mail Removed) (Steven Cheng [MSFT])
>Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 02:40:07 GMT
>Subject: RE: HttpHandler

>Hi Joe,
>
>As George has mentioend, what you want to do is called "Url Rewriting" in
>web application.
>
>In ASP.NET, you can use a custom httpmodule to perform such URL rewriting
>task. For example, in the "Begin_Request" event, you can parse the

original
>url and redirect the request to the actual url/page. Here are some web
>articles introduced some of these means:
>
>#Tip/Trick: Url Rewriting with ASP.NET
>http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archi...rl-rewriting-w

>th-asp-net.aspx
>
>#URL Rewriting in ASP.NET
>http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms972974.aspx
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Steven Cheng
>
>Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead
>

>Delighting our

Joe

Sorry for the late reply. I ended up using the Application_BeginRequest to
re-write the URL.

Thanks,
Joe

"Steven Cheng [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0RayX%(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi Joe,
>
> Have you got any progress on this or does the information in previous
> mesages help you some?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Steven Cheng
>
> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

> (E-Mail Removed).

> ications.
> rights.
>
> --------------------
>
>>From: (E-Mail Removed) (Steven Cheng [MSFT])
>>Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 02:40:07 GMT
>>Subject: RE: HttpHandler

>>Hi Joe,
>>
>>As George has mentioend, what you want to do is called "Url Rewriting" in
>>web application.
>>
>>In ASP.NET, you can use a custom httpmodule to perform such URL rewriting
>>task. For example, in the "Begin_Request" event, you can parse the

> original
>>url and redirect the request to the actual url/page. Here are some web
>>articles introduced some of these means:
>>
>>#Tip/Trick: Url Rewriting with ASP.NET
>>http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archi...rl-rewriting-w

>>th-asp-net.aspx
>>
>>#URL Rewriting in ASP.NET
>>http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms972974.aspx
>>
>>Hope this helps.
>>
>>Sincerely,
>>
>>Steven Cheng
>>
>>Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead
>>

>>Delighting our

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks for your followup Joe,

Glad that you've found out the solution.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(E-Mail Removed).

--------------------
>From: "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)>

<(E-Mail Removed)>
<0RayX#(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: Re: HttpHandler
>Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:38:28 -0400

>Sorry for the late reply. I ended up using the Application_BeginRequest to
>re-write the URL.
>
>Thanks,
>Joe
>
>"Steven Cheng [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:0RayX%(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> hi Joe,
>>
>> Have you got any progress on this or does the information in previous
>> mesages help you some?
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Steven Cheng
>>
>> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead
>>

>> Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments and

Please