Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Questions about Memory Error -- The use of Memtest

Questions about Memory Error -- The use of Memtest

larry moe 'n curly

(E-Mail Removed)3.hu wrote:

> On Apr 11, 4:13 am, spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote:

> > I'm assuming you let the memtest cdrom do it's thing for more than one
> > pass, right?

> Yep. Ran the memtest cdrom thing overnight, for 4 nights. 2 nights
> each for memtest86 v 3.4 and for memtest86+ v 2.01
>
> No error whatsoever from both versions.

Another diagnostic is Gold Memory, from www.goldmemory.cz. For me,
ver. 5.07 has found more errors than the newer versions have,
including when MemTest86 has found none (and vice-versa).

spodosaurus

CBFalconer wrote:
> spodosaurus wrote:
>> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)3.hu wrote:
>>

> ... snip ...
>>> Switch the sticks to test the other DDR2 module. Ran the memtest
>>> from http://hcidesign.com/memtest/ -- again no error !
>>>
>>> Now I'm totally confused. Why when I ran the test with both DDR2
>>> modules, I got errors, and no error when I ran the modules one
>>> at a time??
>>>
>>> So I ran the bootCD memtest test again, this time with one module
>>> at a time. Again no error on both runs !
>>>
>>> What am I doing wrong here? How am I going to locate which module
>>> that is giving out errors? Can anyone help out please?

>> So the only time this error pops up is from within windows?
>>
>> I'm assuming you let the memtest cdrom do it's thing for more than
>> one pass, right?

> This is no help with your present difficulty, but it should help
> avoid similar problems in future. You should have bought a system
> with ECC memory (and the capability to use it). That converts
> unreliable memory into quite reliable memory, and avoids all the
> intermittent errors due to cosmic reays etc.
>
> Just remember the phrase ECC and don't let anyone talk you out of
> it.

Don't be a dick.

Unknown

No, like you.
"CBFalconer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> spodosaurus wrote:
>> CBFalconer wrote:
>>>>
>>> ... snip ...

>>> This is no help with your present difficulty, but it should help
>>> avoid similar problems in future. You should have bought a system
>>> with ECC memory (and the capability to use it). That converts
>>> unreliable memory into quite reliable memory, and avoids all the
>>> intermittent errors due to cosmic reays etc.
>>>
>>> Just remember the phrase ECC and don't let anyone talk you out of

>> Don't be a dick.

> Such as the ignorant ramblings of spodosaurus.
>
> --
> [mail]: Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
> [page]: <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>
> Try the download section.

Re: Memtest stops at pass 78% and other problems.... pcbutts1 Computer Support 0 07-29-2005 05:41 AM
memtest problem gimp NZ Computing 3 07-26-2005 10:33 PM
memtest 86 doS Computer Support 5 03-25-2005 09:46 AM