Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Utility?

Utility?

JJ

I have a 'friend' who sends me loads of dumb emails every day with huge
videos attached...'a real nuisance.
He sends them to a whole list at once...'and I'm on that list.
I don't want to upset him by telling him to f*ck off, but I want to somehow
have him think my server is bouncing emails with attachments, and hopefully
he'll stop sending them. Is there a utility anywhere (preferable free) I
could use to do this?

Cheers.

Thip

"JJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QHvLj.21984$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>I have a 'friend' who sends me loads of dumb emails every day with huge
>videos attached...'a real nuisance.
> He sends them to a whole list at once...'and I'm on that list.
> I don't want to upset him by telling him to f*ck off, but I want to
> somehow have him think my server is bouncing emails with attachments, and
> hopefully he'll stop sending them. Is there a utility anywhere (preferable
> free) I could use to do this?
>
> Cheers.

I haven't used one in years, but there are free e-mail checkers that will
let you delete messages off the server without downloading them. Since you
don't want to upset your friend, that might be an option. I'm opposed to
bouncing, especially with large files.

Try looking here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/comm/fwemcheck.html

HEMI-Powered

JJ added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

> I have a 'friend' who sends me loads of dumb emails every day
> with huge videos attached...'a real nuisance.
> He sends them to a whole list at once...'and I'm on that list.
> I don't want to upset him by telling him to f*ck off, but I want
> to somehow have him think my server is bouncing emails with
> attachments, and hopefully he'll stop sending them. Is there a
> utility anywhere (preferable free) I could use to do this?

No need to bash your friend, if he is really a "friend" and not just
a casual acquaintance will poor manners. How about just politely
telling him that you don't find the videos enjoyable and you'd
appreciate him taking you out of his group list. People usually
respond to polite requests.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"That's all I have to say about that" - Forrest Gump

VanguardLH

JJ wrote:

> I have a 'friend' who sends me loads of dumb emails every day with huge
> videos attached...'a real nuisance.
> He sends them to a whole list at once...'and I'm on that list.
> I don't want to upset him by telling him to f*ck off, but I want to somehow
> have him think my server is bouncing emails with attachments, and hopefully
> he'll stop sending them. Is there a utility anywhere (preferable free) I
> could use to do this?

Doesn't sound like a friend, to me. I have friends that have added me
to their "jokes" distro. I simply tell them to remove me and they do.
There is no animosity involved.

YOU are not involved in the mail session to be sure just who is the
sending mail host to know where to bounce your bogus NDR (non-delivery
report). Any innocent getting "bounce spam" can report you to the
public blacklists because of your misdirected backscatter. Bouncing
from the client end is just plain stupid. Instead see if you can define
a block list up on the mail server by using the webmail interface to
your e-mail account. How your e-mail provider's mail server handles the
blocked e-mails depends on how they handle blocklists. Most still will
accept any e-mails that pass the provider's own blacklist(s) and then
deliver it. They really cannot afford to attempt delivery to check if
the status says the e-mail got rejected because of a personal block list
at each recipient's mailbox. So it is likely that a server-side
blacklist will just auto-trash the blocked e-mail. But then if your
"friend" is unwilling to stop sending you their crap then you can decide
to automatically flush ALL their e-mails - and tell them so since they
may want to send you other e-mails and decide that they really should
stop sending you their crap stuff. The server-side blacklist probably
lets you move the unwanted e-mails into a junk or trash folder where it
remains for awhile, so you could retrieve it after a few days if you
really wanted it by moving it back into the Inbox or just viewing it in
the junk/trash folder using the webmail interface.

You never bothered to announce WHICH e-mail client you use. Some let
you *not* download e-mails that exceed a specified size. So you
download all e-mails except those that exceed the threshold. However,
those e-mails remain in your mailbox and consume your disk quota so you
will have to occasionally download and delete them or use the webmail
interface to delete them.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"JJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a 'friend' who sends me loads of dumb emails every day with huge
>videos attached...'a real nuisance.
>He sends them to a whole list at once...'and I'm on that list.
>I don't want to upset him by telling him to f*ck off, but I want to somehow
>have him think my server is bouncing emails with attachments, and hopefully
>he'll stop sending them. Is there a utility anywhere (preferable free) I
>could use to do this?

Mail washer will bounce his email
http://www.mailwasher.net/

As far as I know this is free, but I haven't used it since 3.1

--

Moments
http://funtasticus.com/20080409/catch-the-moment/

JJ

"Lookout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 22:32:32 +0100, "JJ" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I have a 'friend' who sends me loads of dumb emails every day with huge
>>videos attached...'a real nuisance.
>>He sends them to a whole list at once...'and I'm on that list.
>>I don't want to upset him by telling him to f*ck off, but I want to
>>somehow
>>have him think my server is bouncing emails with attachments, and
>>hopefully
>>he'll stop sending them. Is there a utility anywhere (preferable free) I
>>could use to do this?
>>
>>Cheers.

> Believe me you're not the only one who should tell him to knock it
> off. I'd send a return email to EVERYONE ON THE LIST and ask him to
> stop. Watch what happens. You'll be a hero!

I'd love to be a hero...'but he's not that easy to put off as he thinks
everyone should read/see his stuff. The problem is, he sends it to app., 40
folk, who then send it to another 40 folk and so on, and if any one of those
folk send (forward) 'him' a mail with attachments, he forwards the lot to
'his' list of addresses and we end up seeing all their email addys as well.
It's got to be dangerous for sure, but he's the type of 'friend' who thinks
this is funny and I'd be a 'loser' for not joining in, He'd take it to heart
and we'd fall out over it....'I know.

Blinky the Shark

Mitch wrote:

> In article <QHvLj.21984$(E-Mail Removed)2>, JJ
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have a 'friend' who sends me loads of dumb emails every day with huge
>> videos attached...'a real nuisance.
>> He sends them to a whole list at once...'and I'm on that list. I don't
>> want to upset him by telling him to f*ck off, but I want to somehow
>> have him think my server is bouncing emails with attachments, and
>> hopefully he'll stop sending them. Is there a utility anywhere
>> (preferable free) I could use to do this?

> Wrong solution; YOU might solve it, but everyone else on that long list
> is going to continue to suffer.
>
> Make him stop. Seriously -- force it. Show him how much better a Web
> site is for such garbage. Show him that e-mail isn't for attachments.
> Explain to him that if you or anyone else were to lose an important
> message because you've got a ninja kitten movie filling the in box,
> they'll kill everything in his yard.
>
> This is not a small issue that only you are feeling; make it a BIG deal.

OP: What Mitch said, plus bitch about him apparently broadcasting all of
those people's email addresses to everybody else on his list by not
putting their addresses in the BCC field (which hides them, instead -
the B in BCC means "Blind"); you didn't give him permission to send your
email address in the clear to everybody he knows.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups