Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > connecting 2 laptops

connecting 2 laptops

KRK

Hello

I have 2 laptop pcs, both run Vista Home Premium and both are 'wireless
enabled' , though the wireless facility is switched off on both at present.

Laptop 1 is connected to the internet via a cable ; I don't have wireless
internet access. My printer is also connected to laptop 1 (via a usb port)

Laptop 2 is used elsewhere in the house and a wired connection is
impractical. It has never been connected to the net.

Can I get Laptop 1 and laptop 2 to talk to each other wirelessly ? and if
so, how? Do I need extra software?

Can I get laptop 2 to access the internet via laptop 1's connection ?

Can I get laptop 2 to talk to my printer via laptop 1 ?

Would I need a device plugged into the usb port (as supplied with wireless
keyboards) ?

Thanks for all help & suggestions

KK

Sooner Al [MVP]

You should be able to setup an adhoc wireless network between the two using
the built-in wireless hardware.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...spx?=&qu=adhoc

File and Print Sharing help...

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...etworking.mspx

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"KRK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
>
> I have 2 laptop pcs, both run Vista Home Premium and both are 'wireless
> enabled' , though the wireless facility is switched off on both at
> present.
>
> Laptop 1 is connected to the internet via a cable ; I don't have
> wireless internet access. My printer is also connected to laptop 1 (via a
> usb port)
>
> Laptop 2 is used elsewhere in the house and a wired connection is
> impractical. It has never been connected to the net.
>
> Can I get Laptop 1 and laptop 2 to talk to each other wirelessly ? and if
> so, how? Do I need extra software?
>
> Can I get laptop 2 to access the internet via laptop 1's connection ?
>
> Can I get laptop 2 to talk to my printer via laptop 1 ?
>
> Would I need a device plugged into the usb port (as supplied with wireless
> keyboards) ?
>
> Thanks for all help & suggestions
>
> KK

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
First you set up the two to communicate Ad-Hoc (as mention by Al above).
Then you set the Internet Sharing (ICS).
http://practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...b14771033.mspx
However if your Internet source is an External Modem you are much better off
getting a Wireless Cable/DSL Router and connect independent one from the
other.
Jack (MVP-Networking).