Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hard drive wiped clean by move!!

Reply
Thread Tools

Hard drive wiped clean by move!!

 
 
chuckcar
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2008
Joe Boy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
>
> I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
> NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
> physically wrong with HD.
>
> What could possibly cause this?!?!
>


Virus (not likely: they're an endangered species these days, The're
being usurped by the far less worthy trojans). Someone who has a warped
version of humor. Someone who doesn't like you scrawing with you. You
making a mistake without realizing it. The list goes on and on. Asking
after the fact with no details to speak of is like asking why the power
went out at one house on some day in 1953.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Joe Boy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2008
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:33:09 +0100, Desk Rabbit <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Joe Boy wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 02:57:15 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Joe Boy wrote:
>>>
>>>> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>>>>> Joe Boy wrote:
>>>>>> I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
>>>>>> NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
>>>>>> physically wrong with HD.
>>>>> I'd be curious to know what testing you did to actually determine
>>>>> there was "NOTHING" on it.
>>>> Booted from a floppy and had a dos window available.
>>>>
>>>> chkdsk c: gave no folders or files present and showed the right
>>>> numbers of available (free) bytes for an ampty dirve of its capacity.
>>> Well. Was this a DOS floppy? An actual MS-DOS operating system?
>>>
>>> How would expect MS-DOS to see a Windows XP NTFS file/disk format? Of
>>> course it reported "no folders or files". Your floppy would have said
>>> the same thing on my Linux computer.
>>>
>>> You should have booted from the Windows XP CD, and done a simple
>>> Repair-Install. And you would have lost no data.

>>
>> The floppy has a utility for reading NTFS from DOS on a floppy - can't
>> remember name of it and I am away from home for a few days so can't
>> check that yet.
>>
>> I tried repair from the CD and it did not work.
>>
>> I forgot to mention in earlier posts that when I reinstalled I had to
>> reformat and the format option showed the C: drive as having the full
>> disk capacity as AVAILABLE ie. an empty disk.

>Of course it did you moron. Format formats the entire partition not just
>the unused parts. Duh!


Please read my previous post carefully. Take it easy now, one word at
a time if you are capable.

The format OPTION (implying BEFORE the format was done) showed showed
an empty drive, **NOT AFTER** the format.
--
Joe Boy
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ponder
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2008
Hiya Joe Boy.

In <(E-Mail Removed)> you wrote:

> What could possibly cause this?!?!


Reading the thread I can see you've got the answers prepared, so I'm going
to guess at an over-active imagination and a really decent, friendly, troll
attempt that's working quite nicely

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
Homepage: http://www.colinjones.co.uk ICQ# 1707811
Skittles Team: http://www.ddskittles.co.uk
 
Reply With Quote
 
sandy58
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2008
On Apr 10, 2:32 am, Joe Boy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
>
> I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
> NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
> physically wrong with HD.
>
> What could possibly cause this?!?!
>
> --
> Joe Boy


You packed your PC (hard drives) in close proximity to some form of
magnetic field (large old speakers with woofers an' the like) or drove
too near a sub-station which was in the throes of an overload or you
attempted to arc-weld your U-Drive doors closed (to prevent theft in
transit) and "blew" the lot.
I'll bet on the first one.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mara
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2008

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 06:42:46 -0500, "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>"Joe Boy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
>>
>> I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
>> NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
>> physically wrong with HD.
>>
>> What could possibly cause this?!?!
>>
>>

>
>I see that a few folks have suggested a strong magnetic field may have wiped
>the drive...
>but that's virtually impossible.
>
>Someone must have fooled with the machine when it was out of your sight.


Unless he looked for a non-DOS partition he wouldn't have seen anything anyway.
and some of the so-called "NTFS partition tools" out in the wild simply don't
work. Fdisk will, *if* you tell it what to look for.

There's also the question of how badly the machine was handled in transit. If
you beat one up badly enough, or treat it like a box of cereal, cables come
loose and jumpers can fall off if they weren't on well enough to begin with. A
loose cable can do strange things to a system.

The system was off and unplugged during the move. There is no possible way the
drive could have been wiped during that.

--
Goodbye, Army, dear old Army of the Potomac. Tattered and torn,
you are crowned with the victor's laurels at last.
-- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Col. 2nd R. I., July 15, 1865
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sens Fan Happy In OH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2008
On Apr 9, 9:32*pm, Joe Boy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
>
> I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
> NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
> physically wrong with HD.
>
> What could possibly cause this?!?!
>
> --
> Joe Boy


Yikes, sorry to hear that! My guess might be some kind of electrical
or magnetic issue. I had an old backup drive that I placed into an
external case where the wires were coming apart and it wiped the
entire drive clean - lost over 70GBs of stuff I'd collected for years.
Thankfully I had backups made of most of the files, but I did still
lose a few very precious things I could never get back. Even an expert
was baffled as to how it happened, but verified the drive was erased
but not damaged.

My guess is electricity - high-voltage power lines, possibly even a
magnetic field of some kind. It could be something as simple as being
placed near a speaker with powerful magnets in it. But I'd guess it
would be more than just common household speakers. Now stadium/concert
speakers, yea I could see that!

Or it could even be you had a virus and that particular act "wiped"
everything on that set date. But I would have at least had an expert
examine it carefully to be sure the data was all gone before re-
formatting the drive.
 
Reply With Quote
 
why?
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2008

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 18:39:39 +1000, Joe Boy wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:33:09 +0100, Desk Rabbit <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Joe Boy wrote:
>>> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 02:57:15 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Joe Boy wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>>>>>> Joe Boy wrote:
>>>>>>> I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
>>>>>>> NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
>>>>>>> physically wrong with HD.
>>>>>> I'd be curious to know what testing you did to actually determine
>>>>>> there was "NOTHING" on it.
>>>>> Booted from a floppy and had a dos window available.
>>>>>
>>>>> chkdsk c: gave no folders or files present and showed the right
>>>>> numbers of available (free) bytes for an ampty dirve of its capacity.
>>>> Well. Was this a DOS floppy? An actual MS-DOS operating system?
>>>>
>>>> How would expect MS-DOS to see a Windows XP NTFS file/disk format? Of
>>>> course it reported "no folders or files". Your floppy would have said
>>>> the same thing on my Linux computer.


<snip>

>>> I forgot to mention in earlier posts that when I reinstalled I had to
>>> reformat and the format option showed the C: drive as having the full
>>> disk capacity as AVAILABLE ie. an empty disk.

>>Of course it did you moron. Format formats the entire partition not just
>>the unused parts. Duh!

>
>Please read my previous post carefully. Take it easy now, one word at
>a time if you are capable.
>
>The format OPTION (implying BEFORE the format was done) showed showed
>an empty drive, **NOT AFTER** the format.


But what did you use to verify only the partition table had a fault. No
partition table i.e. blank disk. Last time I lost 3 partitions on a
boot, www.runtime.org and GetDataBack for NTFS recovered everything.

Me
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mara
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2008

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 08:27:16 -0500, observer wrote:

<snip>

>strong enough magnetic field will cause problems. Can't say if it
>will wipe entire drive tho.


I just finished working on a WD 160Gb hdd that said it didn't have a partition
and wouldn't boot because of it. However, when I ran fdisk, there were actually
4 partitions on the drive, all NTFS. I didn't bother to rescue it; it's a hdd I
just bought in a parts system, and there wouldn't have been anything on it I
wanted anyway, so I just deleted the partitions and went from there.

IMHO the chances of the system being around a magnetic current strong enough to
wipe the hard drive, while simply being moved from place to place at ground
level, would be somewhere around 0.000001%. Or less.

--
Goodbye, Army, dear old Army of the Potomac. Tattered and torn,
you are crowned with the victor's laurels at last.
-- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Col. 2nd R. I., July 15, 1865
 
Reply With Quote
 
William Poaster
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2008
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 12:03:08 -0500, Mara wrote:

>
> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 08:27:16 -0500, observer wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>strong enough magnetic field will cause problems. Can't say if it will
>>wipe entire drive tho.

>
> I just finished working on a WD 160Gb hdd that said it didn't have a
> partition and wouldn't boot because of it. However, when I ran fdisk,
> there were actually 4 partitions on the drive, all NTFS. I didn't bother
> to rescue it; it's a hdd I just bought in a parts system, and there
> wouldn't have been anything on it I wanted anyway, so I just deleted the
> partitions and went from there.
>
> IMHO the chances of the system being around a magnetic current strong
> enough to wipe the hard drive, while simply being moved from place to
> place at ground level, would be somewhere around 0.000001%. Or less.


I can only think of EMP, x-rays & gamma rays from which the resulting
electric & magnetic fields could damage a HDD & possibly wipe the entire
drive. A broadband, high-intensity, short-duration burst of
electromagnetic energy.

--
Free-BSD 7.0, PC-BSD 1.5
Linux systems: PCLOS 2007,Fedora 8, Kubuntu 7.10.
Mandriva One 2008.1
-- On 64bit systems --

 
Reply With Quote
 
Hp
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-11-2008


Lookout wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:32:44 +1000, Joe Boy <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:


> >I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.


> >I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
> >NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
> >physically wrong with HD.


> >What could possibly cause this?!?!


> Home Land Security?



I VOTE for this one, there are no Limits upon the amount of paranoids
working in Homeland Security these days, AND they have carte blanch
permissions granted to them to intrude where ever and when ever
they choose. You should accept this as "Oh Crabs, I'm under the
microscope now".

Some poor lady in Fla was told that it was a matter of
"Homeland Security" when during some sort of local event she wanted
to take off her top as a form of political protest statement.
I seem to recall that she was arrested by a 'Homeland Security droid'
right on the spot.
Arrested by a
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Formatting on drive wiped out when testing another drive docsavage20@yahoo.com Computer Support 84 06-09-2006 01:31 AM
Clean up my Hard drive before selling it. Clean Registry? what else? baaab Computer Support 5 05-10-2005 08:30 AM
Re: sp2 wiped my hard drive Jupiter Jones [MVP] Microsoft Certification 0 09-07-2004 05:26 PM
Help, Hard Drive hell......Hard drive not installing. Win98se Anthropy Computer Support 4 02-24-2004 08:54 PM
Moving Mozilla files from old hard drive to new hard drive Nate Firefox 1 02-21-2004 09:09 PM



Advertisments