Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hard drive wiped clean by move!!

Hard drive wiped clean by move!!

Joe Boy

I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.

I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
physically wrong with HD.

What could possibly cause this?!?!

--
Joe Boy

rf

Joe Boy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
>
> I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
> NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
> physically wrong with HD.
>
> What could possibly cause this?!?!

Is the new house in a different state? You are not allowed to transport XP
across state borders borders.

Also check the windows on the removal truck. If the driver had too many
windows open during transport then XP could well crash.

--
Richard
Killing all threads involving google groups

Sqwertz

Joe Boy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
>
> I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
> NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
> physically wrong with HD.
>
> What could possibly cause this?!?!

Is your new house in close proximity to any of those high-voltage
power lines? Or did you pass under any during the move?

-sw

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Joe Boy wrote:

> I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
>
> I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
> NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
> physically wrong with HD.

I'd be curious to know what testing you did to actually determine there
was "NOTHING" on it.

> What could possibly cause this?!?!

It's Windows, right?

Aha. There's the answer...

--
-bts

Joe Boy

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 01:52:24 GMT, Sqwertz <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Joe Boy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
>>
>> I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
>> NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
>> physically wrong with HD.
>>
>> What could possibly cause this?!?!

>Is your new house in close proximity to any of those high-voltage
>power lines? Or did you pass under any during the move?

Thanks for response - no to both queries.
--
Joe Boy

Dan C

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:32:44 +1000, Joe Boy wrote:

> I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
>
> I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
> NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
> physically wrong with HD.
>
> What could possibly cause this?!?!

My guess would be that your SQ (Stupidity Quotient) is excessively high.
Probably off-the-charts high, in fact. Not much you can do about it,
other than resent your parents.

Joe Boy

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 01:56:20 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Joe Boy wrote:
>
>> I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
>>
>> I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
>> NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
>> physically wrong with HD.

>I'd be curious to know what testing you did to actually determine there
>was "NOTHING" on it.

Booted from a floppy and had a dos window available.

chkdsk c: gave no folders or files present and showed the right
numbers of available (free) bytes for an ampty dirve of its capacity.

--
Joe Boy

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Joe Boy wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>>Joe Boy wrote:
>>> I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
>>>
>>> I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had
>>> NOTHING on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing
>>> physically wrong with HD.

>> I'd be curious to know what testing you did to actually determine
>> there was "NOTHING" on it.

> Booted from a floppy and had a dos window available.
>
> chkdsk c: gave no folders or files present and showed the right
> numbers of available (free) bytes for an ampty dirve of its capacity.

Well. Was this a DOS floppy? An actual MS-DOS operating system?

How would expect MS-DOS to see a Windows XP NTFS file/disk format? Of
course it reported "no folders or files". Your floppy would have said
the same thing on my Linux computer.

You should have booted from the Windows XP CD, and done a simple
Repair-Install. And you would have lost no data.

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Vista

rf

Joe Boy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 02:57:15 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Joe Boy wrote:

>>> Booted from a floppy and had a dos window available.
>>>
>>> chkdsk c: gave no folders or files present and showed the right
>>> numbers of available (free) bytes for an ampty dirve of its capacity.

>>Well. Was this a DOS floppy? An actual MS-DOS operating system?
>>
>>How would expect MS-DOS to see a Windows XP NTFS file/disk format? Of
>>course it reported "no folders or files". Your floppy would have said
>>the same thing on my Linux computer.
>>
>>You should have booted from the Windows XP CD, and done a simple
>>Repair-Install. And you would have lost no data.

> The floppy has a utility for reading NTFS from DOS on a floppy - can't
> remember name of it and I am away from home for a few days so can't
> check that yet.
>
> I tried repair from the CD and it did not work.
>
> I forgot to mention in earlier posts that when I reinstalled I had to
> reformat and the format option showed the C: drive as having the full
> disk capacity as AVAILABLE ie. an empty disk.

Why are you asking these questions in here *after* you have hozed your
disk?

Format is the absolute last resort. That is, if you want to save any
data.

--
Richard
Killing all threads involving google groups

Blinky the Shark

Joe Boy wrote:

> I have a Windows XP computer that was working fine.
>
> I moved to a new house and when I turned it on the hard drive had NOTHING
> on it!! Had to reinstall XP which went OK so nothing physically wrong with
> HD.
>
> What could possibly cause this?!?!

You didn't have Microsoft's permission to move their computer.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups