Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Book report (it took me 16 years to read the book )

Re: Book report (it took me 16 years to read the book )

Mara

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 17:47:42 -0500, "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>BOOK REPORT
>
>by Little Philo T. Ogden GRADE 1
>Teacher: Mrs. Setter
>>Title of Book : Gravity's Rainbow

>Author : Thomas Pynchon
>
>The book is an epistiological dialysis of the phenonomena of phreneological
>dispensation based upon a Dionysian synthetic tautological excesiology.
>Drawing upon the essence of the Platonical paradoxes of the Meno.
>Pynchon poses the Modus Tolens argument for the face of war.
>The normal vs. moribund sociological arguement microspically drawn to
>continuum through the narrative of "Slothrop" proves to be one of the
>most provoking Word War II discussions of the present era.

Translation: I'll wait for the movie.

--
Goodbye, Army, dear old Army of the Potomac. Tattered and torn,
you are crowned with the victor's laurels at last.
-- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Col. 2nd R. I., July 15, 1865

thanatoid

"philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Mara" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 17:47:42 -0500, "philo"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>> >BOOK REPORT
>> >
>> >by Little Philo T. Ogden GRADE 1
>> >Teacher: Mrs. Setter
>> >Author : Thomas Pynchon
>> >
>> >The book is an epistiological dialysis of the phenonomena
>> >of

> phreneological
>> >dispensation based upon a Dionysian synthetic
>> >tautological excesiology. Drawing upon the essence of the
>> >Platonical paradoxes of the Meno. Pynchon poses the Modus
>> >Tolens argument for the face of war. The normal vs.
>> >moribund sociological arguement microspically drawn to
>> >continuum through the narrative of "Slothrop" proves to
>> >be one of the most provoking Word War II discussions of
>> >the present era.

>> Translation: I'll wait for the movie.
>>
>> --
>> Goodbye, Army, dear old Army of the Potomac. Tattered and
>> torn, you are crowned with the victor's laurels at last.
>> -- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, Col. 2nd R. I., July 15,
>> 1865

> I doubt if Gravity's Rainbow will ever become a movie.
>
> Some folks asked me how I could keep track of what was
> going on in the book...'
> since it took me 16 years to read it.
>
> Considering I never knew what was going on in the first
> place... it was not too difficult.
>
> I am still working on another book that I started reading
> in 1963... I expect to finish is within the next five years
> or so...

Having read "V" and "The Crying of Lot 49" I do not intend to
attempt "G's R" let alone his (possibly, I have a hard time
keeping track of time) latest, IIRC something "about" the Mason
Dixon line, apparently written in 150-year old American English.

But last year I read "Remembrance of Things Past" for the second
time, in less than 2 months. But stylistic concerns aside,
Proust is piece of a madeleine compared to Pynchon, especially
the 2nd time.

I have no idea why I'm posting this.

I have not forgotten my NY's resolutions.

--
The lonely child plays with eternity, while a gang of children
plays with time.

Karel Capek

thanatoid

"philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

<SNIP>

> About 4 years ago...a friend of mine who is a Kook artist
> made a huge piece of artwork
> depicting the mayor of our city. It was maybe ten feet
> high.

I had never heard the term "Kook artist". But I saw the story,
your friend seems like a very groovy cat. I wish I were that
kind of person, but a) no chance in hell b) I will probably be
dead way before I reach that age.
Too bad there was no pic of the piece. What did the mayor think
about it, I wonder?

> He built it in his back yard, then enlisted the help of a
> slew of sub-kook's to help him erect it in his front yard.
>
> It was a cold day and I just wanted to get it installed and
> to go home.
>
> A guy name Frank said that we needed to discuss exactly how
> we were going to put it up...
> but I would have none of that.
>
> I just yelled: allright everyone lets just grab it and put
> it up there, we can always discuss later...how we did it
> wrong!

I used to plan things when there was still a reasonable chance
they might turn out right. For about twenty years now I only
think ahead about 3 days at a time max.

I always thought Milwaukee must be kind of cool.

Regards.

--
The lonely child plays with eternity, while a gang of children
plays with time.

Karel Capek

Aardvark

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:23:20 -0500, philo wrote:

> But I have been practically everywhere in the US and have lived in
> Eurpope too

Eurpope? Would that be in Vatican City???

--
Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
http://www.liverpool08.com

thanatoid

"philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

<SNP>

> I can't believe I found the picture...here it is:
>
> http://www.plazaearth.com/philo/wattnorquist.jpg

Thanks, I like it. Kind of a Van Gogh kind of mayor huh?

> I took it , so I'm not in it...Bob is wearing the red hat
>
> Frank is the guy in front of the image (on the left)
>
> on the right, touching the piece is David Ruehl...they guy
> who cut out the plywood and assembled it
> and did most of the actual painting to Bob's
> specifications.
>
> Bob is very laid back. An old hippie to be sure.

That's exactly the impression I got.

> If you went to his house and liked one of his paintings
> he'd probably give it to you and say;
> "Let me lay this on you man."

<SNIP>

> My taxes are about 20 times what I paid for rent back in
> 1971 and I don't think there is going to be any backing
> down on that one.

That sounds terrible. And a little hard to comprehend. Oh well -
the government has always been our friend, right?

> Anyway I'm still glad I live here.

Thanks for the info and the pic.

I looked around your site and remembered visiting it before. I
see your work is getting more abstract. Nice stuff, congrats on
the exposition.

I really liked the "smokers" photo. Has a nice totally real yet
kind of dreamy feel to it.

I don't smoke. Wish I did. Kind of hard (and kind of pointless)
to start at 53.