Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > voipcheap incoming number

voipcheap incoming number

Ian Pawson

I have an incoming number set for my voipcheap service, but it only
rings when using their windoze app and not when using sip. The sip says
that it is 'registered' and I can make calls ok.
Does anyone know if it is possible to get the incoming number to work
using sip, and if so, how?

Graham.

"Ian Pawson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ftht82$9g2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an incoming number set for my voipcheap service, but it only
> rings when using their windoze app and not when using sip. The sip says
> that it is 'registered' and I can make calls ok.
> Does anyone know if it is possible to get the incoming number to work
> using sip, and if so, how?

I have an 0161 700 xxxx number from an old dormant voipcheap.co.uk
account, the xxxx is quite memorable so I hope I can keep it indefinitely.
It has always been problematic, even when it was registered on my
local Asterisk box and I had full control, it tended to lose registration
and my callers would get that rather too loud "This user is currently not
on line" that you will no doubt be familiar with.
At the moment I have got it registered with mysipswitch with
the minimum refresh time (60 sec IIRC) and, touch wood, it seems
to be OK. Pity about my callers hearing a "Continental" style ringing tone
though.
--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Ian Pawson

Pet - www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
> Ian Pawson wrote:
>> I have an incoming number set for my voipcheap service, but it only
>> rings when using their windoze app and not when using sip. The sip says
>> that it is 'registered' and I can make calls ok.
>> Does anyone know if it is possible to get the incoming number to work
>> using sip, and if so, how?

> Are you sure the ATA device is registered.
> If you fired up the windoze app. it will register as the primary device,
> so if you have timing on your ATA set to 60 minutes for example it won't
> attempt to re-register yet may still show registered on the screen when
> you log in as that was it's last state. My Draytek usually needs to have
> the refresh button hit to update the accurate status.
>
> To phone out your device doesn't need to be registered, you just need
> the right user name & password.
>
> Also make sure the voipcheap application is not lurking still registered
> on the task bar but hidden.
>
> My guess is the first point though.
>
> is it voipcheap.com ? if so, then the incomining number would
> presumably be an 056 number which shows in the control panell when you
> log in to your account.

The ATA is set not to make calls unless registered and the web interface
says that it it registered.
As I don't use windoze I can safely say that their app is not running<g>.
Yes, my incoming number is shown when I log into my voipcheap.co.uk account.

Nick

Ian Pawson wrote:
> Pet - www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
>> Ian Pawson wrote:
>>> I have an incoming number set for my voipcheap service, but it only
>>> rings when using their windoze app and not when using sip. The sip says
>>> that it is 'registered' and I can make calls ok.
>>> Does anyone know if it is possible to get the incoming number to work
>>> using sip, and if so, how?

>> Are you sure the ATA device is registered.
>> If you fired up the windoze app. it will register as the primary device,
>> so if you have timing on your ATA set to 60 minutes for example it won't
>> attempt to re-register yet may still show registered on the screen when
>> you log in as that was it's last state. My Draytek usually needs to have
>> the refresh button hit to update the accurate status.
>>
>> To phone out your device doesn't need to be registered, you just need
>> the right user name & password.
>>
>> Also make sure the voipcheap application is not lurking still registered
>> on the task bar but hidden.
>>
>> My guess is the first point though.
>>
>> is it voipcheap.com ? if so, then the incomining number would
>> presumably be an 056 number which shows in the control panell when you
>> log in to your account.
>>

> The ATA is set not to make calls unless registered and the web interface
> says that it it registered.
> As I don't use windoze I can safely say that their app is not running<g>.
> Yes, my incoming number is shown when I log into my voipcheap.co.uk account.

I not really sure what I'm talking about but... if you are behind a NAT
router are you forwarding the VOIP port (5060).

Ian Pawson

Pet - www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
> Ian Pawson wrote:
>> I have an incoming number set for my voipcheap service, but it only
>> rings when using their windoze app and not when using sip. The sip says
>> that it is 'registered' and I can make calls ok.
>> Does anyone know if it is possible to get the incoming number to work
>> using sip, and if so, how?

> Are you sure the ATA device is registered.
> If you fired up the windoze app. it will register as the primary device,
> so if you have timing on your ATA set to 60 minutes for example it won't
> attempt to re-register yet may still show registered on the screen when
> you log in as that was it's last state. My Draytek usually needs to have
> the refresh button hit to update the accurate status.
>
> To phone out your device doesn't need to be registered, you just need
> the right user name & password.
>
> Also make sure the voipcheap application is not lurking still registered
> on the task bar but hidden.
>
> My guess is the first point though.
>
> is it voipcheap.com ? if so, then the incomining number would
> presumably be an 056 number which shows in the control panell when you
> log in to your account.

Well, I have now changed my ATA for my shiny new C475IP and to my
surprise the incoming voip now works fine. I must have missed a setting
on the ATA. Very please with the C475Ip phone, I do like being able to
upload the directories to each handset fro a file on the PC.

Dave Saville

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 15:57:10 UTC, Ian Pawson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Well, I have now changed my ATA for my shiny new C475IP and to my
> surprise the incoming voip now works fine. I must have missed a setting
> on the ATA. Very please with the C475Ip phone, I do like being able to
> upload the directories to each handset fro a file on the PC.

Yes is is quite good, apart from the fact that on the S450IP at least,
one can set more things in the directories than can be
exported/imported. Like speed dial keys, VIP setting etc.

--
Regards
Dave Saville