Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Mixer.exe - why running?

Mixer.exe - why running?

Terry Pinnell

I noticed that several programs were responding sluggishly this
morning, on my XP Home PC. Task Mgr showed that mixer.exe was taking
5-30% of CPU. It's part of the Creative Soundblaster stuff. But right
now I don't have any audio program open, so why would mixer.exe be
constantly running please?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Evan Platt

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 08:14:46 +0100, Terry Pinnell
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I noticed that several programs were responding sluggishly this
>morning, on my XP Home PC. Task Mgr showed that mixer.exe was taking
>5-30% of CPU. It's part of the Creative Soundblaster stuff. But right
>now I don't have any audio program open, so why would mixer.exe be
>constantly running please?

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&hl...pu&btnG=Search

Terry Pinnell

Evan Platt <evan@*******************************> wrote:

>On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 08:14:46 +0100, Terry Pinnell
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I noticed that several programs were responding sluggishly this
>>morning, on my XP Home PC. Task Mgr showed that mixer.exe was taking
>>5-30% of CPU. It's part of the Creative Soundblaster stuff. But right
>>now I don't have any audio program open, so why would mixer.exe be
>>constantly running please?

>http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&hl...pu&btnG=Search

Thanks. I'd seen some of those but this one I'd missed and is
particularly informative:
http://www.file.net/process/mixer.exe.html

Haven't yet decided whether to zap it permanently, which might have
side-effects, or just unload it whenever it starts using measurable
resources. But at least I now see it is a common problem.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK