Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Strange problem with S450IP and VOIP

Strange problem with S450IP and VOIP

Dave Saville

I have a Siemens S450IP and it normally dials out on one of my VOIP
connections (Voiptalk.org). If my wife calls our doctor's, which has
some fancy pbx, after a few seconds of talking to the receptionist it
drops out to an engaged tone. This is very repeatable, and is somewhat
anoying. Today she was getting *really* cross so I said to force it
out over BT. She did this and of course it was perfect. Now I realise
that this is a typical example of one, to assume that BT will always
work, but has anyone any ideas what might be going on? It drops out in
the middle of sentences so can't be any silence detection thing.

--
Regards
Dave Saville

Tim

Dave Saville wrote:
> I have a Siemens S450IP and it normally dials out on one of my VOIP
> connections (Voiptalk.org). If my wife calls our doctor's, which has
> some fancy pbx, after a few seconds of talking to the receptionist it
> drops out to an engaged tone. This is very repeatable, and is somewhat
> anoying. Today she was getting *really* cross so I said to force it
> out over BT. She did this and of course it was perfect. Now I realise
> that this is a typical example of one, to assume that BT will always
> work, but has anyone any ideas what might be going on? It drops out in
> the middle of sentences so can't be any silence detection thing.

There are 2 ways to diagnose this problem

1) run wireshark locally and see whether the phone is sending a hangup
(BYE) message or not.

2) Ask Voiptalk to look in their logs and see what is going on.

You could also try a call with another SIP provider to see if that makes
any difference (although interesting, this doesn't rule out a phone problem)

Tim

Dave Saville

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 11:54:26 UTC, Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Dave Saville wrote:
> > I have a Siemens S450IP and it normally dials out on one of my VOIP
> > connections (Voiptalk.org). If my wife calls our doctor's, which has
> > some fancy pbx, after a few seconds of talking to the receptionist it
> > drops out to an engaged tone. This is very repeatable, and is somewhat
> > anoying. Today she was getting *really* cross so I said to force it
> > out over BT. She did this and of course it was perfect. Now I realise
> > that this is a typical example of one, to assume that BT will always
> > work, but has anyone any ideas what might be going on? It drops out in
> > the middle of sentences so can't be any silence detection thing.
> >

> There are 2 ways to diagnose this problem
>
> 1) run wireshark locally and see whether the phone is sending a hangup
> (BYE) message or not.
>
> 2) Ask Voiptalk to look in their logs and see what is going on.
>

> You could also try a call with another SIP provider to see if that makes
> any difference (although interesting, this doesn't rule out a phone problem)

Thanks for the suggestions Tim. After posting I remembered that I had
had a similar problem a few weeks back when my wife was in hospital.
Calling her room via VOIP nearly always did a similar thing. However,
I can't recall what happened when the call dropped - dial tone or
whatever. Now what is interesting is that last year she was in the
same hospital and VOIP worked fine to her room. The difference is that
then I was using a different DECT phone, a Zyxel ATA and a different
SIP provider. Talk about changing one thing at a time to debug

I think 1) is favourite - just a bit of recabling to do it. (Have to
get the base off my switch to a hub so I can trace it.) What does a
hang up look like? Does it actually say BYE?

--
Regards
Dave Saville

Christian

> What does a hang up look like? Does it actually say BYE?

Yep, in plain text even And WireShark will decode it all nicely for
you. The whole SIP-protocol is specified here:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3261

Some examples of what you might see come by can be found here:

If the call hangs up because of a reported error from the other side, you
will also see the (numerical) SIP-error-code on the display of your
S450IP-handsets, you don't even need wireshark for that

Christian

Dave Saville

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 15:10:58 UTC, "Christian"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > What does a hang up look like? Does it actually say BYE?

> Yep, in plain text even And WireShark will decode it all nicely for
> you. The whole SIP-protocol is specified here:
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3261
>
> Some examples of what you might see come by can be found here:
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3261#section-24.2
>
> If the call hangs up because of a reported error from the other side, you
> will also see the (numerical) SIP-error-code on the display of your
> S450IP-handsets, you don't even need wireshark for that

Thanks for that. If I ever get to the bottom of it I will report back.
Just got to wait for SWMBO to feel poorly and call the Doc

--
Regards
Dave Saville

am0000001

On Apr 8, 12:54 pm, Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Dave Saville wrote:
> > I have a Siemens S450IP and it normally dials out on one of my VOIP
> > connections (Voiptalk.org). If my wife calls our doctor's, which has
> > some fancy pbx, after a few seconds of talking to the receptionist it
> > drops out to an engaged tone. This is very repeatable, and is somewhat
> > anoying. Today she was getting *really* cross so I said to force it
> > out over BT. She did this and of course it was perfect. Now I realise
> > that this is a typical example of one, to assume that BT will always
> > work, but has anyone any ideas what might be going on? It drops out in
> > the middle of sentences so can't be any silence detection thing.

> There are 2 ways to diagnose this problem
>
> 1) run wireshark locally and see whether the phone is sending a hangup
> (BYE) message or not.
>
> 2) AskVoiptalkto look in their logs and see what is going on.
>
> You could also try a call with another SIP provider to see if that makes
> any difference (although interesting, this doesn't rule out a phone problem)

Me and my housemates have seen similar behaviour with the S450 when
dialing numbers answered by PBXes. I've been meaning speak to
VoIPtalk about it because it's a repeatable problem.

Next time this happens, I'll make a note of the number and raise it
with support.

Tim: do you think this is a VoIPtalk issue or a handset issue (or some
combination)? It's so repeatable that I can't beleive it's affecting
all S450 users or all VT users...

alex
(ex VoIPtalk staff)

Dave Saville

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 21:01:43 UTC, am0000001 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Apr 8, 12:54 pm, Tim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Dave Saville wrote:
> > > I have a Siemens S450IP and it normally dials out on one of my VOIP
> > > connections (Voiptalk.org). If my wife calls our doctor's, which has
> > > some fancy pbx, after a few seconds of talking to the receptionist it
> > > drops out to an engaged tone. This is very repeatable, and is somewhat
> > > anoying. Today she was getting *really* cross so I said to force it
> > > out over BT. She did this and of course it was perfect. Now I realise
> > > that this is a typical example of one, to assume that BT will always
> > > work, but has anyone any ideas what might be going on? It drops out in
> > > the middle of sentences so can't be any silence detection thing.

> > There are 2 ways to diagnose this problem
> >
> > 1) run wireshark locally and see whether the phone is sending a hangup
> > (BYE) message or not.
> >
> > 2) AskVoiptalkto look in their logs and see what is going on.
> >
> > You could also try a call with another SIP provider to see if that makes
> > any difference (although interesting, this doesn't rule out a phone problem)

> Me and my housemates have seen similar behaviour with the S450 when
> dialing numbers answered by PBXes. I've been meaning speak to
> VoIPtalk about it because it's a repeatable problem.
>
> Next time this happens, I'll make a note of the number and raise it
> with support.
>
> Tim: do you think this is a VoIPtalk issue or a handset issue (or some
> combination)? It's so repeatable that I can't beleive it's affecting
> all S450 users or all VT users...

Interesting - So it is not just me Thinking about it, and bearing
in mind that I only have two examples, both of them are the type of
PBX that first says "If you know the extension you want dial it now"
followed by a menu etc. Although the cut out only seems to happen a
few tens of seconds after you have navigated the menus and someone
actually talks to you.
--
Regards
Dave Saville

alex

On Apr 10, 9:50 am, "Dave Saville" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Although the cut out only seems to happen a
> few tens of seconds after you have navigated the menus and someone
> actually talks to you.

Yep. Exactly.