Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > slight problem while making a network between two computers(again!)

slight problem while making a network between two computers(again!)

giddy

hi,

I'm terribly sorry I'm making this post again, I did make a post
earlier and somehow got a network done between my PC and laptop, i did
make a few notes on how I did it all, but now it seems i'm stuck
again!

I'll be much clearer this time,

I have one desktop pc, one latop. The desktop has two LAN cards the
laptop has one.

Lan1 on my desktop connects to the internet,I've set it to share its
conection.
Lan2 on my desktop is on my PCI and I've set the IP to 192.168.0.1,
Sub mask:2552552550

The Lan on the laptop is set to obtain the IP automatically, i can see
DHCP is enabled.

Both computers are set to ONE work group (GIDGROUP) and have a
separate computer name for each.

however, when i connect the two with a UTP cable on the desktop the
Lan2 on the desktop says its unplugged and the Lan on the laptop says
Limited or no connectivity?

What exactly is the problem then? I did notice the Lan on the laptop
gets/obtains a very odd IP address?? When i check details on the
property sheet to the Lan, the IP says : 169.254.79.75? Way different
from Desktop Lan1s IP??

Would really appreciate some help!

Thanks so much
Gideon

giddy

hi,

Thanks for your reply.

A router would be more or less a waste of money because I have
everything I need! and I need the network only for some time before I
move, its temporary.

What exactly is the advantage of the router? Beside the slight ease in
setup?

Do you think the Lan2 on my desktop is bad, the Leds on it don't light
up like they used to and no matter what I do it says its unplugged?

yes, it is a crossover cable.

Thanks
Gideon

Dave

On Apr 8, 3:09 am, giddy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> hi,
>
> I'm terribly sorry I'm making this post again, I did make a post
> earlier and somehow got a network done between my PC and laptop, i did
> make a few notes on how I did it all, but now it seems i'm stuck
> again!
>
> I'll be much clearer this time,
>
> I have one desktop pc, one latop. The desktop has two LAN cards the
> laptop has one.
>
> Lan1 on my desktop connects to the internet,I've set it to share its
> conection.
> Lan2 on my desktop is on my PCI and I've set the IP to 192.168.0.1,
> Sub mask:2552552550
>
> The Lan on the laptop is set to obtain the IP automatically, i can see
> DHCP is enabled.
>
> Both computers are set to ONE work group (GIDGROUP) and have a
> separate computer name for each.
>
> however, when i connect the two with a UTP cable on the desktop the
> Lan2 on the desktop says its unplugged and the Lan on the laptop says
> Limited or no connectivity?
>
> What exactly is the problem then? I did notice the Lan on the laptop
> gets/obtains a very odd IP address?? When i check details on the
> property sheet to the Lan, the IP says : 169.254.79.75? Way different
> from Desktop Lan1s IP??
>
> Would really appreciate some help!
>
> Thanks so much
> Gideon

I would certainly echo the other comment. Use a router. Then you
won't have to keep the desktop turned on just to use the laptop, for
example. (At today's prices for electricity, there are some economics
in that!) Routers are not that expensive, certainly your time isn't
free either.

giddy

hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have been told before to go by a router but down here LAN cards cost
around $4-$8 and a router would cost over $50! and I can really afford
anything after i got a laptop worth $650+ And like i said, I need the
share only for a few months.

Anyway, I've done this before with a borrowed laptop!! It worked, i
was able to share files and my connection, I'm not sure whats wrong
this time.

I gave the Lan2 card for a checkup to see if its working, it keeps
saying its unplugged!

DeskRabbit, could you rephrase if i've not mentioned what you need
please? My Lan1card is inbuilt into my motherboard, is a Realtek and I
have a Broadband internet running on it.

Thanks so much
Gideon

why?

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 06:36:41 -0700 (PDT), giddy wrote:

>hi,
>
>Thanks for your reply.

really have to go with vote 3 for a router, it's so much easier.

>I have been told before to go by a router but down here LAN cards cost

'down where', that's an expensive router isn't it?

>around $4-$8 and a router would cost over $50! and I can really afford

<snip>

Me

why?

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 02:09:10 -0700 (PDT), giddy wrote:

>hi,
>
>I'm terribly sorry I'm making this post again, I did make a post
>earlier and somehow got a network done between my PC and laptop, i did
>make a few notes on how I did it all, but now it seems i'm stuck
>again!
>
>I'll be much clearer this time,
>
>I have one desktop pc, one latop. The desktop has two LAN cards the
>laptop has one.

The hard way

>Lan1 on my desktop connects to the internet,I've set it to share its
>conection.

What version of Windows? So this is ICS sharing?

>Lan2 on my desktop is on my PCI and I've set the IP to 192.168.0.1,
>Sub mask:2552552550

255.255.255.0

<groan> It's often mention, using the Network Setup Wizards </groan>

Wouldn't ICS take care of this automagically, you need to set a value? I
have never used ICS but isn't the point share Lan1/Desktop to
Lan2/Desktop without you forcing an IP. ICS should be serving out IP
addresses not you. BTW I have never used ICS.

>The Lan on the laptop is set to obtain the IP automatically, i can see
>DHCP is enabled.

Fine.

>Both computers are set to ONE work group (GIDGROUP) and have a
>separate computer name for each.

Fine.

>however, when i connect the two with a UTP cable on the desktop the

Ok crossover mentioned later. Tested cable and it's okay?

>Lan2 on the desktop says its unplugged and the Lan on the laptop says
>Limited or no connectivity?
>
>What exactly is the problem then? I did notice the Lan on the laptop
>gets/obtains a very odd IP address?? When i check details on the
>property sheet to the Lan, the IP says : 169.254.79.75? Way different

This is the APIPA address,
http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/p...ldef_apipa.htm

From about Win 2000 on, there is static IP, DHCP, and Alternate
Configuration. TCP/IP Properties / the Alt Config tab. / Automatic
private IP address.

It's meant to make home networking easier by agreeing across the PCs
what addresses to use when there is no DHCP server.

>from Desktop Lan1s IP??
>
>Would really appreciate some help!

Do you really want the LAN home networking links posted all over again?

Ah good thought not.

You can get then by searching 24HSHD,
http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...elpdesk/topics

home network links

From: why?
Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
Subject: Re: Going Wireless
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 12:40:14 GMT

Search for the message ID here,
http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q=&

Me

giddy

aha! "wireless dongle".. awesome!

Thats the perfect solution, but sadly, down here, most of the shops I
asked didn't exactly know what I was talking about!!(You probably
wouldn't want to know where down here is!) I might not be able to
order one from amazon, so I guess I'll re check at better shops when I
get my Lan card back tomorrow, I think it was probably bad? But the
place I gave it to are not completely sure!

Anyway, thanks so much for your replies.I hope it turns out well.

Gideon

giddy

aha! "wireless dongle".. awesome!

Thats the perfect solution, but sadly, down here, most of the shops I
asked didn't exactly know what I was talking about!!(You probably
wouldn't want to know where down here is!) I might not be able to
order one from amazon, so I guess I'll re check at better shops when I
get my Lan card back tomorrow, I think it was probably bad? But the
place I gave it to are not completely sure!

Anyway, thanks so much for your replies.I hope it turns out well.

Gideon

giddy

ok, as always my computing ventures take a very unexpected twist.

Lan2 on the desktop was faulty, I bought a new one.

Now i connected everything, I could finally ping my desktop from my
laptop . The internet sharing wasn't working at all **until** I put
entered my DNS numbers into my LAPTOPS LAN.

NOW, after that it worked for 2 mins and my whole internet connection
itself stopped working then, IOW i didn't have internet working on my
desktop anymore! I struggled for 2 hours, even called my ISP and tried
all sorts of things, and now found out, that WHEN i plug my laptop IN
my whole connection jams, I Can still ping my ISP gateway but the DNS
servers don't respond, so yes, i took off the DNS's off my laptops lan
and the same thing still happens. The second I connect the laptop I
can't ping my DNS's from my desktop and the second I plug it OUT I can
ping them and everything works fine!! What exactly is going on!!

Also, I've set to share files and they still don't show up on my
Network places, If i'm correct i chose sharing and security in a
folders property sheet and had it shared? Well, it still doesn't show?

Here are my settings

Desktop:
LAN1[<myIP><MASK><Gateway>] [PreferredDNS,Alt DNS]-->Connects to
Broadband Internet, ICS enabled. (Should I enable DHCP here? Makes no
Diff?)
LAN2[<192.168.0.1><255.255.255.0><myIP>]

Laptop:
LAN[<192.168.0.4><255.255.255.0><192.168.0.1>][Should I have those
DNS's here??]

ALSO, my earlier LAN when it was installed has 192.168.0.1 on my
desktop, so when I give my new card the same IP windows warns me but i
ignore it.If i do change Lan2 to say 192.168.0.2 and change the laptop
Lan accordingly I can't even ping the desktop anymore??

Would someone please help, I'm losing my mind here!! X0

Thanks so much
Gideon

giddy

Is this part of the madness of WinXp x64? Because thats what I have on
the laptop(and yes I'm going to take it off soon)