Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > FireFox 3 Rocks (I think)

FireFox 3 Rocks (I think)

yogi22

As a fan of LifeHacker, I subscribe to their RSS feed. Here is a very
recent blog entry.
"the Firefox 3 beta is leaner, meaner, faster, and just plain better
than Firefox 2"

<http://tinyurl.com/6699x2>

It also says that FF3 Beta 5 is ready for prime time. I took their
advice for chickens, and have downloaded and installed the portable
version, plus copied over my FF2 profile.

FAST! FAST! FAST! Sorry, but I had to shout, as I am so excited! Tabs
loaded from a Google search seem to load instantly. I think this has
something to do with "prefetching", a practice that some geeks
disapprove of. Any thoughts on this forum?

I have experienced some difficulty with some extensions, but I will be
using FF3 quite often to see if I can work around. Apparently, the
final version will be out in June, but LifeHacker says, and I think I
agree, "Don't wait until then!"

BTW, Harry McCracken's PCWorld blog says, " Firefox: On Its Way to Web
Domination?"
<http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/006535.html>
kk

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

yogi22 wrote:
> As a fan of LifeHacker, I subscribe to their RSS feed. Here is a very
> recent blog entry.
> "the Firefox 3 beta is leaner, meaner, faster, and just plain better
> than Firefox 2"
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/6699x2>
>
> It also says that FF3 Beta 5 is ready for prime time. I took their
> advice for chickens, and have downloaded and installed the portable
> version, plus copied over my FF2 profile.

FF 3 is not ready for prime time. In the first couple of
lines it says: "Mozilla says its for testing purposes only."
Therefore, its still being developed and tested on. So,
what you have today, may change tomorrow.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Leonidas Jones

yogi22 wrote:
> As a fan of LifeHacker, I subscribe to their RSS feed. Here is a very
> recent blog entry.
> "the Firefox 3 beta is leaner, meaner, faster, and just plain better
> than Firefox 2"
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/6699x2>
>
> It also says that FF3 Beta 5 is ready for prime time. I took their
> advice for chickens, and have downloaded and installed the portable
> version, plus copied over my FF2 profile.
>
> FAST! FAST! FAST! Sorry, but I had to shout, as I am so excited! Tabs
> loaded from a Google search seem to load instantly. I think this has
> something to do with "prefetching", a practice that some geeks
> disapprove of. Any thoughts on this forum?
>
> I have experienced some difficulty with some extensions, but I will be
> using FF3 quite often to see if I can work around. Apparently, the
> final version will be out in June, but LifeHacker says, and I think I
> agree, "Don't wait until then!"
>
> BTW, Harry McCracken's PCWorld blog says, " Firefox: On Its Way to Web
> Domination?"
> <http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/006535.html>
> kk

Extension support with a new release, particularly one in beta, will
always lag behind.

Even once it does reach release status, if there are extensions that are
important to you, its usually best to wait, say two weeks, before
installing the new version, to allow the extension writers to catch up.

From what I hear, this will likely be the final beta, , but there will
be a round of release candidates to come. C hanges are still likely
before a true release is made.

Lee

yogi22

On Apr 7, 8:04 pm, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> yogi22 wrote:
> > As a fan of LifeHacker, I subscribe to their RSS feed. Here is a very
> > recent blog entry.
> > "the Firefox 3 beta is leaner, meaner, faster, and just plain better
> > than Firefox 2"

> > <http://tinyurl.com/6699x2>

> > It also says that FF3 Beta 5 is ready for prime time. I took their
> > advice for chickens, and have downloaded and installed the portable
> > version, plus copied over my FF2 profile.

> > FAST! FAST! FAST! Sorry, but I had to shout, as I am so excited! Tabs
> > loaded from a Google search seem to load instantly. I think this has
> > something to do with "prefetching", a practice that some geeks
> > disapprove of. Any thoughts on this forum?

> > I have experienced some difficulty with some extensions, but I will be
> > using FF3 quite often to see if I can work around. Apparently, the
> > final version will be out in June, but LifeHacker says, and I think I
> > agree, "Don't wait until then!"

> > BTW, Harry McCracken's PCWorld blog says, " Firefox: On Its Way to Web
> > Domination?"
> > <http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/006535.html>
> > kk

> Extension support with a new release, particularly one in beta, will
> always lag behind.
>
> Even once it does reach release status, if there are extensions that are
> important to you, its usually best to wait, say two weeks, before
> installing the new version, to allow the extension writers to catch up.
>
> From what I hear, this will likely be the final beta, , but there will
> be a round of release candidates to come. Changes are still likely
> before a true release is made.
>
> Lee

Both these and Peter's points are well taken, and I was aware of them.
This is why I "installed" the portable version. This way, I can play
around with the new version without risking problems with my FF2 which
is tweaked just the way I like it. The LifeHacker article and its
links explain how to "install" the portable version, and how to have
most of the extensions work, despite not having been certified for
FF3.

I recommend that any FF fans with time on their hands (retirement is
great) should test FF3. I think they would like it, especially the
speed. Installing the portable version means one can still play with
the program, without affecting their normal surfing.
kk

Leonidas Jones

yogi22 wrote:
> On Apr 7, 8:04 pm, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> yogi22 wrote:
>>> As a fan of LifeHacker, I subscribe to their RSS feed. Here is a very
>>> recent blog entry.
>>> "the Firefox 3 beta is leaner, meaner, faster, and just plain better
>>> than Firefox 2"
>>> <http://tinyurl.com/6699x2>
>>> It also says that FF3 Beta 5 is ready for prime time. I took their
>>> advice for chickens, and have downloaded and installed the portable
>>> version, plus copied over my FF2 profile.
>>> FAST! FAST! FAST! Sorry, but I had to shout, as I am so excited! Tabs
>>> loaded from a Google search seem to load instantly. I think this has
>>> something to do with "prefetching", a practice that some geeks
>>> disapprove of. Any thoughts on this forum?
>>> I have experienced some difficulty with some extensions, but I will be
>>> using FF3 quite often to see if I can work around. Apparently, the
>>> final version will be out in June, but LifeHacker says, and I think I
>>> agree, "Don't wait until then!"
>>> BTW, Harry McCracken's PCWorld blog says, " Firefox: On Its Way to Web
>>> Domination?"
>>> <http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/006535.html>
>>> kk

>> Extension support with a new release, particularly one in beta, will
>> always lag behind.
>>
>> Even once it does reach release status, if there are extensions that are
>> important to you, its usually best to wait, say two weeks, before
>> installing the new version, to allow the extension writers to catch up.
>>
>> From what I hear, this will likely be the final beta, , but there will
>> be a round of release candidates to come. Changes are still likely
>> before a true release is made.
>>
>> Lee

> Both these and Peter's points are well taken, and I was aware of them.
> This is why I "installed" the portable version. This way, I can play
> around with the new version without risking problems with my FF2 which
> is tweaked just the way I like it. The LifeHacker article and its
> links explain how to "install" the portable version, and how to have
> most of the extensions work, despite not having been certified for
> FF3.
>
> I recommend that any FF fans with time on their hands (retirement is
> great) should test FF3. I think they would like it, especially the
> speed. Installing the portable version means one can still play with
> the program, without affecting their normal surfing.
> kk

I have tried it. I install it on my hard drive, with a clean profile.

I don't notice any significant difference in speed though.

Lee

History Fan

I'm curious to see if FF3 lives up to the hype regarding improvements
in memory leakage.

Achtung: SIPGATE Rocks !!!! peter UK VOIP 25 10-03-2005 06:51 AM
This is totally FREE and it ROCKS! Paul King ASP .Net 0 09-24-2005 11:21 PM
NetMeter rocks! Thanks fred Computer Support 2 02-25-2005 01:04 AM
Perl Rocks!!!! Steve Bennett Perl 0 08-27-2004 06:51 AM
Cool Java Program : JPhotoBrush Pro rocks!!!! Irshian Java 5 09-30-2003 02:19 PM

Advertisments