Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Connection Strings in the Windows Registry --- Performance?

Connection Strings in the Windows Registry --- Performance?

Gerard Marshall Vignes

I was recently cautioned against storing an ADO.NET Connection String in the
Windows Registry because access to the Windows Registry would be serialized
and therefore impact scalability.

I have been able to find reasons to not use the Registry for storing
Connection Strings, but the reasons given seem to be security-related.

Does anyone know if there are performance-related reasons for NOT storing
Connection Strings in the Windows Registry?

Thanks!

Gerard Marshall Vignes

I see your point. Even if there is serialization, you can work around it by
caching and refreshing the cache periodically. Thank you

I am still also trying to verify if this serialization will indeed occur.

"Aaron Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Could just go ahead and use the registry to store the strings, then at
> runtime cache the value the first time you access it into the

application's