Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Adding wap to a domain

Adding wap to a domain

HDI

Hi,

Is adding a wireless access point in a windows domain the same as
adding one to a workgroup?

Thx

Phillip Windell

WAPs are Layer 1&2 devices.
You don't add them to domains or workgroups

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

"HDI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Is adding a wireless access point in a windows domain the same as
> adding one to a workgroup?
>
> Thx

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Wireless Access Point are like Wireless Hubs they are transparent to the
traffic.
Depending on how your Network is set you might need to adjust the WAP's core
IP to much the subnet and allow the MAC, as they do appear on the Network.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"HDI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Is adding a wireless access point in a windows domain the same as
> adding one to a workgroup?
>
> Thx

HDI

I mean a 'winows domain network' and a 'windows workgroup network'.

On 7 apr, 17:42, "Phillip Windell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> WAPs are Layer 1&2 devices.
> You don't add them to domains or workgroups
>
> --
> Phillip Windellwww.wandtv.com
>
> The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,
>
> "HDI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Hi,

> > Is adding a wireless access point in a windows domain the same as
> > adding one to a workgroup?

> > Thx- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

Phillip Windell

"HDI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I mean a 'winows domain network' and a 'windows workgroup network'.

Same thing.

A Domain is just an Administrative "entity" or "boundary". A Domain is not
a "network".

A workgroup is almost "nothing",...almost "imaginary". It is just a
handfull of machines with the workgroup parameter set to the same "word".
There is no central administrative ability with a workgroup. A workgroup is
also not a "network".

Anyway,..it is just like Jack said,...adding a WAP is not any different than
adding a Hub or Switch to the network.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com