Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > CompTIA

CompTIA

Tiago Davila

Anyone have some advice on how I go about preparing for and taking the
CompTIA A+ Exam.

--
Tiago Davila

Dustin Harper

Read a good book, learn what is being tested (from comptia.org), do some
hands on, take a few practice tests.

--

Dustin Harper
(E-Mail Removed)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

pointy_ears@hotmail.com

On Apr 6, 9:07 pm, "Tiago Davila" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Anyone have some advice on how I go about preparing for and taking the
> CompTIA A+ Exam.
>
> --
> Tiago Davila
> (E-Mail Removed)

The most important thing, of course, is studying. We all know that
there's a difference between knowing the material in a practical sense
and being able to answer the questions on a test. This is made even
worse by the cost of each exam (and there are often several for each
certification). Plus, of course, you're a busy person and don't have
lots of time to waste on the tests...so you might really want to
consider hooking up with a company that will help ensure your ability
to pass. I know that there are a lot of them out there. CareerSaver
is one that I happened across recently -- http://www.careersaver.com
They even say that they'll give you a refund and pay for your exam if
you don't pass, so that's pretty cool...plus I think they say that
their stuff will make it possible to prepare in less time (also good).
Something along those lines should help, and if you're serious about
going into this career field, then you have lots of these
certifications in your future.
Best of luck.

pointy_ears@hotmail.com

On Apr 8, 10:09 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Apr 6, 9:07 pm, "Tiago Davila" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Anyone have some advice on how I go about preparing for and taking the
> > CompTIA A+ Exam.

> > --
> > Tiago Davila
> > (E-Mail Removed)

> The most important thing, of course, is studying. We all know that
> there's a difference between knowing the material in a practical sense
> and being able to answer the questions on a test. This is made even
> worse by the cost of each exam (and there are often several for each
> certification). Plus, of course, you're a busy person and don't have
> lots of time to waste on the tests...so you might really want to
> consider hooking up with a company that will help ensure your ability
> to pass. I know that there are a lot of them out there. CareerSaver
> is one that I happened across recently --http://www.careersaver.com
> They even say that they'll give you a refund and pay for your exam if
> you don't pass, so that's pretty cool...plus I think they say that
> their stuff will make it possible to prepare in less time (also good).
> Something along those lines should help, and if you're serious about
> going into this career field, then you have lots of these
> certifications in your future.
> Best of luck.

Actually, after making my previous post, I noticed that the site I was
mentioning also has an article about 2008's "hottest" certifications
-- http://careersaver.com/TopCerts.asp -- as well as a chart of
average salaries based on certification -- http://careersaver.com/SalaryByCertification.asp
I know that these don't specifically help you with your current
certification, but they might help you figure out where you want to go
from there. Sorry for my absent-mindedness in not noticing them
before.

Boris Badenov

"Tiago Davila" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone have some advice on how I go about preparing for and taking the
> CompTIA A+ Exam.
>
> --
> Tiago Davila
> (E-Mail Removed)

It's the old joke about "how to get to Carnegie Hall"? Answer: "Practice,
practice, practice"!

Seriously, since I just got certified in January I will tell you what I
used. Mike Meyer's book "ALL IN ONE CompTIA A+ Certification (Sixth
Edition).
It covers everything. The important point to remember is that there is a
lot of memorization to this cert., so use the testing software. More
importantly, UNDERSTAND what you are memorize. Don't just be a parrot or
you not do your prospective employers any good.

In addition to Mike's book, I also check out every A+ book my library had.
Many had testing CD's which I drilled over and over again. Missing
questions allowed me to study and restudy what I was week on. So, don't
overlook FREE as in your library.

Good luck.

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

"Tiago Davila" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone have some advice on how I go about preparing for and taking the
> CompTIA A+ Exam.

Hmmm. I can't believe anybody even offered this as part of their
recommendation.

[1] Build a computer from scratch!

[2] Install the OS (Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista) from scratch!

[3] Upgrade the OS (Win2000 to WinXP; WinXP to Vista).

[4] Install a Service Pack; install updates.

[5] Install some apps (Antivirus, Windows Defender, IE7, Microsoft Office).

[6] Uninstall the apps.

[7] Run diagnostics on the major components.... disk, RAM, CPU, Video

[8] Disassemble the computer and put it back together.

[9] Repeat steps [1] through [8] until you can do them without looking at
written instructions.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP, MCBMSP, MCTS(x4), MCP
Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-200

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Dude

I used the Mike Meyers books to study for Network+ and some of the Server
2003 MCSE exams. I've had good luck with them.