Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Two connection icons in system tray

Two connection icons in system tray

geermeister@gmail.com

I now have two connection icons in the system tray, though I only have
one connection. One says Local Area Connection, 100Mbps and the new
one says Internet Connection, 150Mbps. Why might I suddenly have the
second one?

aboringcreatedname

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I now have two connection icons in the system tray, though I only have
> one connection. One says Local Area Connection, 100Mbps and the new
> one says Internet Connection, 150Mbps. Why might I suddenly have the
> second one?

Make sure the computer isn't set to always dial the default connection if it
isn't have you installed/reinstalled a router recently?

Edna.

geermeister@gmail.com

On Apr 7, 4:44 am, "aboringcreatedname" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> >I now have two connection icons in the system tray, though I only have
> > one connection. One says Local Area Connection, 100Mbps and the new
> > one says Internet Connection, 150Mbps. Why might I suddenly have the
> > second one?

> Make sure the computer isn't set to always dial the default connection if it
> isn't have you installed/reinstalled a router recently?
>
> Edna.

No new router install, no dial up connection. I use DSL.

ded

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Apr 7, 4:44 am, "aboringcreatedname" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> >I now have two connection icons in the system tray, though I only have
>> > one connection. One says Local Area Connection, 100Mbps and the new
>> > one says Internet Connection, 150Mbps. Why might I suddenly have the
>> > second one?

>> Make sure the computer isn't set to always dial the default connection if
>> it
>> isn't have you installed/reinstalled a router recently?
>>
>> Edna.

> No new router install, no dial up connection. I use DSL.

OK, and how is your DSL service configured, is it virginmedia/NTL's
full package and how is the cable modem connected - USB right?
Your original post is topsy turvey, you list your Internet connection
as second, but ask why you have a second icon, but you mean the
LAN connection right?
Place cursor on it and RIGHT click and from menu select:
"Show Available Connections"
Usually a wizard appears and looks for a device such as a router
or whatever, if nothing is found then all that has happened is you
have a card installed that previously was disabled but somehow
has become enabled, you can disable it if you want so that pesky
second icon no longer appears.
Close all windows
RIGHT click "My Computer"
From sub menu select "Properties"
A dialog appears, click the "Hardware" tab
Click the "Device Manager" button
Listed will be the hardware, scroll down to "Network adapters"
Open the tree, listed maybe several entries, including your NTL
connection, probably also 1394 net adapters, and an entry for
something titled a PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter, if so then RIGHT
click on it and select "Disable".
Close all windows
Pesky second icon will be gone.

geermeister@gmail.com

I had unwittingly checked a box in a Windows dialogue to show this
Internet connection in the system tray. I simply unchecked the box.
Problem solved.

There was no additional card. I knew I didn't have more than one
Internet connection, I simply had two connection icons showing
different things for the same connection.

D.