Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: A big thank you and a small question.

Re: A big thank you and a small question.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mike Barnard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 23:44:04 +0100, Mike Barnard
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >www.thermachek.com
> >

> >And, I have one other small niggle thats annoying me. On the index
> >page I have a small <ol>. Why are the numbers flowing left further
> >than the rest of the text? It should indent, shouldn't it?

> This is still nagging me.

Have you tried:

<ol style="list-style: inside; list-style-type: decimal;">

Btw, your lead in to the list of "three options" does not suggest an
"ordered" list.

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mike Barnard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 08:31:04 +1000, dorayme
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Mike Barnard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> This is still nagging me.

> Hi again. Nice to 'hear' from you.

No need to put the "hear" in quotes. Why am I using them then in the
last sentence, I hear you ask. Because I am quoting the word. And
please, I know what you are wondering, why am I so pedantic. But you
will need to send $10 to get an answer on that one. You can't have just
anything from me for free, old son.

> >Have you tried:
> >
> ><ol style="list-style: inside; list-style-type: decimal;">

> Nope, new to me. But what isn't? I'll research what that means,
> tomorrow. Thanks.
>
> >Btw, your lead in to the list of "three options" does not suggest an
> >"ordered" list.

> Heh, you and your list fetish! To me it says... "3" options, but
> yes it could easily be an ul as well.

I am as cool as a cucumber about lists. Let's see now, you have 3
options. That does not mean they are ordered options. This is the
important point about the idea behind an ordered list, the order! Or so
it is thought by many, including probably the inventors.

There is an idea, I don't know if you know about it, that semantic mark
up is a good thing to aim for. Thus, if you have a paragraph, make it a
latter just because you want some text REALLY BIG and this html element
happens to have a default css style in most browsers of big and bold.
Big and bold is a presentational thing which can be achieved by styling
the appropriate element. ols happen to default to decimals but this does
not mean you should use this html element it because it has the numbers.

However, you are in luck with a lot of browsers. I have noticed that you
can use a ul and still have the code I suggest to get your numbers. Now,
you get an unordered list with numbers, no semantic mistake being made.

<ul style="list-style: inside; list-style-type: decimal;">

Try it!

And if it proves not wholly reliable cross-brower, there is always the
ul with "1. List item" and "2. List item" to fall back on.

You have fallen int a world that is richer and lovelier than the Garden
of Eden.

Your website is looking good. (btw. I like the dynamic effect of your
portrait. It goes from being frightening on the left to nice on the left
and now it has gone to the right. When you get into absolute
positioning, you can have it anywhere you want).

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mike Barnard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme
> > Mike Barnard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> dorayme
> >> Hi again. Nice to 'hear' from you.
> >>

> >No need to put the "hear" in quotes.

> Because I can't really hear you, just read you, but saying read you
> doesn't sound right even if it is. Is it? So I emphasised that hear
> isn't quite right, or so I intended.

I know why you did it. You might as well put '' around "see" when you
use it to acknowledge understanding as in "I see what you mean ..." No
need.

--
dorayme