Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Query: Contract position wages

Query: Contract position wages

jaspalbhullar@yahoo.com

Hello all,

I have a question regarding what salary to expect for a contract
position. This would be a long term (1 year) contract position. Of
course without all the benefits (health, vacation, profit sharing,
stock options etc..).
Note: I am currently not in a position to bargain, i.e. don't have a
job in hand.
Using 100 as the normal salary for a full time employee for this
position, any suggestions how much would be a good figure to ask for.
Also would it be of any benefit to be salaried by the hour, rather
than accepting an annual pay package (which I am assuming means no pay
or time-in-lieu for excessive hours)

Thanks,
Jaspal

Mike Treseler

> I have a question regarding what salary to expect for a contract
> position. This would be a long term (1 year) contract position. Of
> course without all the benefits (health, vacation, profit sharing,
> stock options etc..).
> Note: I am currently not in a position to bargain, i.e. don't have a
> job in hand.

In that case, what difference does it make?

> Using 100 as the normal salary for a full time employee for this
> position, any suggestions how much would be a good figure to ask for.

200. Never hurts to ask.

-- Mike Treseler

jaspalbhullar@yahoo.com

> In that case, what difference does it make?

I DO want the job

> > Using 100 as the normal salary for a full time employee for this
> > position, any suggestions how much would be a good figure to ask for.

> 200. Never hurts to ask.

This will certainly rule out the point above

Jaspal

Bill Mills

On Apr 5, 1:43*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a question regarding what salary to expect for a contract
> position. *This would be a long term (1 year) contract position. Of
> course without all the benefits (health, vacation, profit sharing,
> stock options etc..).
> Note: I am currently not in a position to bargain, i.e. don't have a
> job in hand.
> Using 100 as the normal salary for a full time employee for this
> position, any suggestions how much would be a good figure to ask for.
> Also would it be of any benefit to be salaried by the hour, rather
> than accepting an annual pay package (which I am assuming means no pay
> or time-in-lieu for excessive hours)
>
> Thanks,
> Jaspal

Maybe pick up a copy of "Working for yourself," by Stephen Fishman

Like my old CPA said to me, "Welcome to the world of the self
employed!"

gl!
Bill

Colin Paul Gloster

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in Spring:
|"I have a question regarding what salary to expect for a contract |
|position. This would be a long term (1 year) contract position. [..]"|

I do not know, but I can give you a datum. I have just started a
very short-term (approximately two months long, but it is somewhat
flexible depending on whether I deliver before deadlines as payments
will depend upon delivering results at acceptable times instead of
simply being paid for spending time doing nothing) contract. The
value of the contract is approximately 4000 Euro.

Regards,
Colin Paul Gloster

P.S. I am still searching for a longer term scholarship or
assistantship or for employment to start later (not before
June 200.

rickman

On Apr 5, 7:00 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > In that case, what difference does it make?

> I DO want the job
>
> > > Using 100 as the normal salary for a full time employee for this
> > > position, any suggestions how much would be a good figure to ask for.

> > 200. Never hurts to ask.

> This will certainly rule out the point above
>
> Jaspal

My experience has been that it varies depending on the company.
Normal consultant rates are anywhere from 200% upward. This covers
the costs of benefits, which include things that you don't like
training, and the overhead of being un^H^Hselfemployed. That overhead
covers the time you spend looking for work and the time required to
manage your "business", which is what it is, a business.

But then some companies seem to think that they can hire you by the
hour at the same rate they would pay a regular employee. I have been
out of work before, but never to the point where I would accept a job
at below market rates.

However, there can be mitigating circumstances. For example, if the
job is very flexible letting you work from home, or if it is a new
area that will give you a chance to learn technologies that are new to
you. Then you might consider lowering your rates.

If you consider quoting a fixed price, then you need to be very, very
careful. It is very common for engineers to underestimate the time
required to complete a job. I do it all the time... :^) But then I
am not charging at under the 200% figure I quoted above and I always
take my most pessimistic estimate and add 20% to 50% depending on my
risk factor.

My current task included ongoing manufacturing for a module to supply
to a large networking company. If the volumes pan out, this will be
fairly lucrative. It was only possible because I *didn't* underbid
myself.

Thomas Stanka

On 23 Mai, 13:22, Colin Paul Gloster <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> will depend upon delivering results at acceptable times instead of
> simply being paid for spending time doing nothing) contract. The
> value of the contract is approximately 4000 Euro.

I hope you get this per month. 4k is a lot of money for someone
unemployed, could be more than a year income for someone doing
assembly in china or east europe, but is not much for a 2 month
developing contract in an industrial state.

bye Thomas

rickman

On Apr 5, 4:43 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a question regarding what salary to expect for a contract
> position. This would be a long term (1 year) contract position. Of
> course without all the benefits (health, vacation, profit sharing,
> stock options etc..).
> Note: I am currently not in a position to bargain, i.e. don't have a
> job in hand.

You can always bargain. If you have no job, say you are "consulting"
or working "freelance", not "unemployed". Personally, I am *never*
unemployed. I alway work for myself,... no, really!