Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Need some info from computer knowledgeable people who had or have aHP notebook

Need some info from computer knowledgeable people who had or have aHP notebook

GeneCook2008@gmail.com

Hi folks,

I have a computer and the adapter from the regular power outlet in the
wall into the computer broke. You know what I mean: that thing that
you use to charge the battery and that thing (modem?) that provides
regular power to your computer

It doesn't say exactly what it is but on the back side it says REPLACE
WITH HP SPARE 402018-001.

I called HP and they told me that it costs me approx. USD 170, which
is an outrageous price for that little thing, if you ask me.

I was at Wallmart lately and saw that they have different kind of
adapters but I have no clue if other adapters fit in a HP notebook.

And here is my question:

Did any of you ever had to replace this particular HP spare part and
did you replace it with something else than from HP and how did it
work?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Best regards,

Gene

M.L.

>> I have a computer and the adapter from the regular power outlet in
>> the
>> wall into the computer broke. You know what I mean: that thing that
>> you use to charge the battery and that thing (modem?) that provides
>> regular power to your computer
>>
>> It doesn't say exactly what it is but on the back side it says
>> REPLACE
>> WITH HP SPARE 402018-001.
>>
>> I called HP and they told me that it costs me approx. USD 170, which
>> is an outrageous price for that little thing, if you ask me.
>>
>> I was at Wallmart lately and saw that they have different kind of
>> adapters but I have no clue if other adapters fit in a HP notebook.
>>
>> And here is my question:
>>
>> Did any of you ever had to replace this particular HP spare part and
>> did you replace it with something else than from HP and how did it
>> work?

> There are generic third party power adapters available that may suit
> your Laptop.
> However to use one of these you need to ensure the specifications
> match your Laptop's requirements.

> Mr Arnold pointed you to at least one site that appears to have the
> genuine article at a much better price.
> http://www.impactcomputers.com/402018-001.html

Costs $19.99 here, but don't know reliability of merchant.
http://www.pricegrabber.com/user_sal...lot_id=8302077

GeneCook2008@gmail.com

On Apr 5, 7:17 pm, "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Hi folks,

> > I have a computer and the adapter from the regular power outlet in the
> > wall into the computer broke. You know what I mean: that thing that
> > you use to charge the battery and that thing (modem?) that provides
> > regular power to your computer

> > It doesn't say exactly what it is but on the back side it says REPLACE
> > WITH HP SPARE 402018-001.

> > I called HP and they told me that it costs me approx. USD 170, which
> > is an outrageous price for that little thing, if you ask me.

> > I was at Wallmart lately and saw that they have different kind of
> > adapters but I have no clue if other adapters fit in a HP notebook.

> > And here is my question:

> > Did any of you ever had to replace this particular HP spare part and
> > did you replace it with something else than from HP and how did it
> > work?

> > Thanks in advance for your advice.

> > Best regards,

> > Gene

> Gene
>
> There are generic third party power adapters available that may suit your
> Laptop.
> However to use one of these you need to ensure the specifications match your
> Laptop's requirements.
> Respectfully the description in your first paragraph suggests you do not
> have the skills to ascertain the suitability of these generic third party
> power supplies for you Laptop.
>
> Therefore you either stump up for the genuine part knowing it will work.
> or
> You take your laptop and power supply to a suitably qualified person who can
> advise you if a generic third party supply will be suitable.
>
> Mr Arnold pointed you to at least one site that appears to have the genuine
> article at a much better price.http://www.impactcomputers.com/402018-001.html
>
> Best.

Thanks, yes, I am not a computer literate but I got my answer. Thanks
a lot!

Gene

GeneCook2008@gmail.com

On Apr 5, 8:43 pm, "M.L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> I have a computer and the adapter from the regular power outlet in
> >> the
> >> wall into the computer broke. You know what I mean: that thing that
> >> you use to charge the battery and that thing (modem?) that provides
> >> regular power to your computer

> >> It doesn't say exactly what it is but on the back side it says
> >> REPLACE
> >> WITH HP SPARE 402018-001.

> >> I called HP and they told me that it costs me approx. USD 170, which
> >> is an outrageous price for that little thing, if you ask me.

> >> I was at Wallmart lately and saw that they have different kind of
> >> adapters but I have no clue if other adapters fit in a HP notebook.

> >> And here is my question:

> >> Did any of you ever had to replace this particular HP spare part and
> >> did you replace it with something else than from HP and how did it
> >> work?

> > There are generic third party power adapters available that may suit
> > your Laptop.
> > However to use one of these you need to ensure the specifications
> > match your Laptop's requirements.
> > Mr Arnold pointed you to at least one site that appears to have the
> > genuine article at a much better price.
> >http://www.impactcomputers.com/402018-001.html

> Costs $19.99 here, but don't know reliability of merchant.http://www.pricegrabber.com/user_sal...erid=63809780&...

That is even better!