Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > roaming profile

roaming profile

bhasker srivastava

I have installed a windows 2003 server and make it a domain controller. Then
i have followed all required steps for create roaming profile (shared folder,
users profile path etc)

Actual problem is coming when I am logging in client PC. Client has windows
XP professional and its in domain.

After giving the username and passwords its giving following errors:

User environment:
Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is
attempting to log you on with your local profile...........
Possible causes of this error include problem or insufficient security
rights. If this problem persists...........

it was coming with a timer of 20-25 seconds

After that one more error is coming like :

User environment:
Windows cannot find the local profile and is loging you on with a temporary
profile. Changes you make to the profile will be lost when you log off.

Please tell me the solution....

--
bhasker

Henrik Johansson

"bhasker srivastava" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have installed a windows 2003 server and make it a domain controller.
>Then
> i have followed all required steps for create roaming profile (shared
> folder,
> users profile path etc)
>
> Actual problem is coming when I am logging in client PC. Client has
> windows
> XP professional and its in domain.
>
> After giving the username and passwords its giving following errors:
>
> User environment:
> Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is
> attempting to log you on with your local profile...........
> Possible causes of this error include problem or insufficient security
> rights. If this problem persists...........
>
> it was coming with a timer of 20-25 seconds
>
> After that one more error is coming like :
>
> User environment:
> Windows cannot find the local profile and is loging you on with a
> temporary
> profile. Changes you make to the profile will be lost when you log off.

Check network connectivity between client and file server share.
Check permissions on server (ntfs and share), so they match Microsoft's
requirements.
http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

Edo

Hi,

Same happened to me when trying to do what the MS press book practice
suggests,

I noticed that in my case, I was typing the raoming profile path incorrectly
in the AD profile tab for the user(s) you want to apply te roaming profile.
Make sure, as suggested by Henrik that the computer is really connected to
the domain, once you verify that do make sure the path specified in the
server Shared folder that contains the profile is the same in the "path" for
the users profile and lastly make sure the proper Share and NTFS permissions
are ok so that user can use the profile, I would suggest allwoing full shared
permissions and proper NTFS permissions . That should be enough for the
profile to be loaded, obviously, you have to have to profile loaded in the
mentioned shared folder.

-Edo