Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Real Estate photography

Re: Real Estate photography

Rita Berkowitz

Murray Crabb wrote:

>> Yeah, I was talking to one guy doing this and he's using a D3 in DX
>> mode with a 12-24/4 DX lens. Go figure! Buy a $5,000 camera and
>> put a shitty DX
>> lens on it. Of course I told him he needs a 17-35/2.8 and he looked
>> at me funny. Of course if his clients don't care and they pay
>> him.....

> I use the same lens for RE photography and the compliments pour in -
> not too much wrong with this DX lens in my view. It's what you do
> with the image afterwards that counts.

The 12-24/4 is an OK lens and was designed as a stopgap quick fix to fill
the void caused by the DX format. It was an overpriced DX hack that was
designed to replace the 17-35/2.8. To even let this lens touch the D3's
lens mount is blasphemy! But, then again, RE photography really isn't that
demanding image quality wise.

Rita

murrayc

"Rita Berkowitz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Murray Crabb wrote:
>
>>> Yeah, I was talking to one guy doing this and he's using a D3 in DX
>>> mode with a 12-24/4 DX lens. Go figure! Buy a $5,000 camera and
>>> put a shitty DX
>>> lens on it. Of course I told him he needs a 17-35/2.8 and he looked
>>> at me funny. Of course if his clients don't care and they pay
>>> him.....

>> I use the same lens for RE photography and the compliments pour in -
>> not too much wrong with this DX lens in my view. It's what you do
>> with the image afterwards that counts.

> The 12-24/4 is an OK lens and was designed as a stopgap quick fix to fill
> the void caused by the DX format. It was an overpriced DX hack that was
> designed to replace the 17-35/2.8. To even let this lens touch the D3's
> lens mount is blasphemy! But, then again, RE photography really isn't
> that demanding image quality wise.
>

> Rita

Really? My experience in RE over many years says image quality means plenty
and quality gets noticed.

mc

Paul Bartram

"murrayc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> Really? My experience in RE over many years says image quality means
> plenty and quality gets noticed.

Wish someone would tell rental managers that. Look through any online rental
list and you'll see plenty of fuzzy camera-phone pictures of what could be
an apartment block, or it might be a cardboard box... An owner doesn't get
much service for the equivalent of one week's rent!

However, if you pay $5,000 plus for a basic sales listing, I reckon you
should get your own web site, with inter-active panoramic shots, not
out-of-focus, sloping, point-and-shoot snapshots, but often that's all you
do get.

Paul

Michael Brown

Have to disagree there Rita,

I have been seeing a major change in RE photography here lately. Especially
in the high end market, they are really going for the higher quality style
of shots.

Nearly all of the affluent suburbs produce high end glossy magazines which
require very good quality shots. But the clients are paying for the
service, which makes the property stand out amongst the hundreds listed.

Mick B

On 4/4/08 9:45 PM, in article
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), "Rita Berkowitz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Murray Crabb wrote:
>
>>> Yeah, I was talking to one guy doing this and he's using a D3 in DX
>>> mode with a 12-24/4 DX lens. Go figure! Buy a $5,000 camera and
>>> put a shitty DX
>>> lens on it. Of course I told him he needs a 17-35/2.8 and he looked
>>> at me funny. Of course if his clients don't care and they pay
>>> him.....

>> I use the same lens for RE photography and the compliments pour in -
>> not too much wrong with this DX lens in my view. It's what you do
>> with the image afterwards that counts.

> The 12-24/4 is an OK lens and was designed as a stopgap quick fix to fill
> the void caused by the DX format. It was an overpriced DX hack that was
> designed to replace the 17-35/2.8. To even let this lens touch the D3's
> lens mount is blasphemy! But, then again, RE photography really isn't that
> demanding image quality wise.
>

> Rita

Tony Polson

Michael Brown <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have been seeing a major change in RE photography here lately. Especially
>in the high end market, they are really going for the higher quality style
>of shots.
>
>Nearly all of the affluent suburbs produce high end glossy magazines which
>require very good quality shots. But the clients are paying for the
>service, which makes the property stand out amongst the hundreds listed.

Real Estate is a major part of my workload. It has got to the point
where anything less than top quality shots stand out in the property
magazines because the overall standard is so high. The recent
slowdown in the property market hasn't affected this.

If anything, there is even greater pressure to present properties as
well as possible in order to gain the best price in a market whose
prices are static at best, and noticeably beginning to fall. More
money is being spent on marketing properties, not less, and one sign
of this is an increase in demand for full page images, A4 and bigger.