Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > signature

signature

PWB

I wonder if anyone can help me please? I have tried to add a HTML
signature that will send all the time in Thunderbird but not had much
success can someone please explain only I looked at Mozilla help page
but couldn't really understand what the
y were saying . TIA

ded

"PWB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fnmJj.27704$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I wonder if anyone can help me please? I have tried to add a HTML signature
>that will send all the time in Thunderbird but not had much success can
>someone please explain only I looked at Mozilla help page but couldn't
>really understand what the
> y were saying . TIA

It is a subject that has been covered many times, HTML in usenet posts
and/or in emails are frowned upon. Many will have their clients configured
not to display HTML content or to block entirely. So your posts/emails
won't be received etc
You maybe an entirely innocent poster who just wants to include one
of those annoying jazzy signatures that are popular amongst googlers
and AOL'ers etc. But HTML content can be a security issue so most will
block such content. Read here:

http://www.zzee.com/email-security/

http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html..._is_evil.shtml

http://email.about.com/od/staysecure...ug_privacy.htm

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur...way_with_html_...

http://www.webmin.com/security.html

Don't do HTML.

catchme

PWB wrote:
> I wonder if anyone can help me please? I have tried to add a HTML
> signature that will send all the time in Thunderbird but not had much
> success can someone please explain only I looked at Mozilla help page
> but couldn't really understand what the
> y were saying . TIA

first you have to typs a sig. to word and save it as html, then you have
to click the browse button in thunderbird to locate the file you just
created.
note- posting html to many groups is a no-no.
make sure that the group allows it (you'll need to search for the FAQ
for the respective groups, though many will post the faq on a weekly or
monthly basis...this one doesnt), before posting.
saving a sig. in plaintext is better- it allows those who have html
turned off in their newsreaders to read your sig. file.
just paste into notebook, and it will save as .txt (TEXT if Macintosh).

--
but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist
whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters

PWB

ded wrote:
> "PWB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fnmJj.27704$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I wonder if anyone can help me please? I have tried to add a HTML signature
>> that will send all the time in Thunderbird but not had much success can
>> someone please explain only I looked at Mozilla help page but couldn't
>> really understand what the
>> y were saying . TIA

> It is a subject that has been covered many times, HTML in usenet posts
> and/or in emails are frowned upon. Many will have their clients configured
> not to display HTML content or to block entirely. So your posts/emails
> won't be received etc
> You maybe an entirely innocent poster who just wants to include one
> of those annoying jazzy signatures that are popular amongst googlers
> and AOL'ers etc. But HTML content can be a security issue so most will
> block such content. Read here:
>
> http://www.zzee.com/email-security/
>
> http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html..._is_evil.shtml
>
> http://email.about.com/od/staysecure...ug_privacy.htm
>
> http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur...way_with_html_...
>
> http://www.webmin.com/security.html
>

> Don't do HTML.

Its not for a newsgroup its for personal emails.

Mike Easter

PWB wrote:
> I wonder if anyone can help me please? I have tried to add a HTML
> signature that will send all the time in Thunderbird but not had much
> success can someone please explain only I looked at Mozilla help page
> but couldn't really understand what the
> y were saying . TIA

> Its not for a newsgroup its for personal emails.

Definition of a 'signature' in the context of mail and news - a sig
delimited file or string which may be auto added by the mail or news
agent.

It is fundamentally not appropriate to have an autoadded html sig. It
is not appropriate to add an html sig to news messages and it is not
appropriate to have the default mode of email to be html. Html mail
should only be sent to specific recipients who are known to have
specific mailuser agents configured in a specific manner so the default
configuration should be plaintext and only an individual particular
recipient should be emailed in html.

Tbird, unlike some other MUAs like OE, does not have a feature to be
able to 'flip' an individual mail message from plaintext to html or vice
versa. The overall account is configured in preferences, so Tbird's
overall mail configuration should be plaintext, not html. If you were
to configure a specifc Tbird account to be used for one specific
recipient, to send that specific recipient html, the way you would do it
would be to configure that particular email account to send in html
instead of plaintext.

The way Tbird handles sigs is also primitive. The account is configured
to sigattach or to not sigattach a sigfile. If you configure to attach
a sigfile to this html sending mail account, the sigfile could be an
html file which you would create with your favorite html editor.

--
Mike Easter

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

PWB wrote:

>> "PWB" wrote:
>>> I wonder if anyone can help me please? I have tried to add a HTML
>>> signature that will send all the time in Thunderbird but not had
>>> much success can someone please explain only I looked at Mozilla
>>> help page but couldn't really understand what the y were saying .

> Its not for a newsgroup its for personal emails.

What exactly is it you want to place in the signature? A link to your
web site?

Have you read this yet? Everything you need to know:
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Signatures>

If all you want is something like the link to your web site, just type
the URL in the text file used for signatures. Be sure to include the
dash-dash-space on the first line separately.

Type the URL as such:
http://www.example.com/

--
-bts

Blinky the Shark

PWB wrote:

> ded wrote:
>> "PWB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:fnmJj.27704$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I wonder if anyone can help me please? I have tried to add a HTML
>>> signature that will send all the time in Thunderbird but not had much
>>> success can someone please explain only I looked at Mozilla help page
>>> but couldn't really understand what the
>>> y were saying . TIA

>> It is a subject that has been covered many times, HTML in usenet posts
>> and/or in emails are frowned upon. Many will have their clients
>> configured not to display HTML content or to block entirely. So your
>> posts/emails won't be received etc
>> You maybe an entirely innocent poster who just wants to include one of
>> those annoying jazzy signatures that are popular amongst googlers and
>> AOL'ers etc. But HTML content can be a security issue so most will block
>> such content. Read here:
>>
>> http://www.zzee.com/email-security/
>>
>> http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html..._is_evil.shtml
>>
>> http://email.about.com/od/staysecure...ug_privacy.htm
>>
>> http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur...way_with_html_...
>>
>> http://www.webmin.com/security.html
>>

>> Don't do HTML.
>>

> Its not for a newsgroup its for personal emails.

Your friends don't want HTML-crapped-up sigs in email, either. Unless
your friends are retarded.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

PWB

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> PWB wrote:
>
>> ded wrote:
>>> "PWB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:fnmJj.27704$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> It is a subject that has been covered many times, HTML in usenet posts
>>> and/or in emails are frowned upon. Many will have their clients
>>> configured not to display HTML content or to block entirely. So your
>>> posts/emails won't be received etc
>>> You maybe an entirely innocent poster who just wants to include one of
>>> those annoying jazzy signatures that are popular amongst googlers and
>>> AOL'ers etc. But HTML content can be a security issue so most will block
>>> such content. Read here:
>>>
>>> http://www.zzee.com/email-security/
>>>
>>> http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html..._is_evil.shtml
>>>
>>> http://email.about.com/od/staysecure...ug_privacy.htm
>>>
>>> http://blog.washingtonpost.com/secur...way_with_html_...
>>>
>>> http://www.webmin.com/security.html
>>>

>>> Don't do HTML.
>>>

>> Its not for a newsgroup its for personal emails.

> Your friends don't want HTML-crapped-up sigs in email, either. Unless
> your friends are retarded.

I object to the word 'retarded' , do you know the true meaning of the
word? I work with disabled people and am one myself

Dan C

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 21:50:38 +0000, PWB wrote:

>> Your friends don't want HTML-crapped-up sigs in email, either. Unless
>> your friends are retarded.

> I object to the word 'retarded' , do you know the true meaning of the
> word? I work with disabled people and am one myself

Do you like "STUPID" better? How about "A ****ING MORON"?

Don't like either one? Well, I guess your just a ****ing retard then.

Bugger off.

PWB

Mike Easter wrote:
> PWB wrote:
>
>> I object to the word 'retarded' , do you know the true meaning of the
>> word?

> Up until fairly recently, the American Association of Mental Retardation
> was still using the term 'mental retardation' and calling itself by that
> term which is what /retarded/ is felt to mean. The business about the
> term being handled pejoratively is another subject by which some forms
> of political correctness try to be destructive to language and its
> evolution.
>
> The generic term retarded means slowed, delayed, decelerated if you are
> talking about how something is being processed, which includes mentally.
>
> The concept that one should/must use a term like developmentally
> disabled or 'significantly below normal global intellectual capacity as
> an adult' to express a concept is silly. The concept that one should
> use descriptive terms 'carefully' in the presence of those whose
> sensitivities might be offended is yet another consideration.
>
>> I work with disabled people and am one myself

> We are all 'challenged' to one degree or another. Does that mean we
> should be pussy-footing around with our language?
>
> Sometimes I use terms like stupid and dumb, which dumb has nothing to do
> with mute.

I agree with you but there is a context of using the word and the way
the reply from the poster that originally said it

(Do you like "STUPID" better? How about "A ****ING MORON"?

Don't like either one? Well, I guess your just a ****ing retard then.)

Bugger off. to me only proves its not worth replying to him or
retaliating, because I dont think hes using it in the right context or
replying , with the Queens/Kings english

Turning a signature-changing decorator into a signature-preservingone Gustavo Narea Python 14 02-16-2009 04:58 PM
Putting my signature in messages. Jim07D4 Firefox 10 07-08-2004 09:38 PM
UTF-8 with signature & UTF-8 without signature JJBW ASP .Net 1 04-24-2004 10:21 AM
Signature file Olena Firefox 8 04-06-2004 09:20 PM
Mozilla e-mail signature useless? charles adams Firefox 2 01-27-2004 04:31 PM

Advertisments