Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Problem with Windows Folder Options / file type

Problem with Windows Folder Options / file type

Ruud

Under Windows NT, I have a problem when I change (or add) a file type
(in Folder Options).
If I try and edit a file type (e.g. XLS), and go to "Advanced" and
then change/add an action, it autmatically append %1 to the action
string. Even if I delete this %1, it still shows up after I go back to
editing.
It seems that (my) Windows does this for all extension/action that I
'touch'.
This is really a nusiance, since many applicaions do not start
correctly when they are passed with the %1 (arguments).
Any solution to correct this starnge behaviour?

(If this is the wrong discussion group to post this message to, please
pass it on to a more appriate group).

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

On 3 Apr, 10:46, Ruud <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Under Windows NT, I have a problem when I change (or add) a file type
> (in Folder Options).
> If I try and edit a file type (e.g. XLS), and go to "Advanced" and
> then change/add an action, it autmatically append %1 to the action
> string. Even if I delete this %1, it still shows up after I go back to
> editing.
> It seems that (my) Windows does this for all extension/action that I
> 'touch'.
> This is really a nusiance, since many applicaions do not start
> correctly when they are passed with the %1 (arguments).
> Any solution to correct this starnge behaviour?
>
> (If this is the wrong discussion group to post this message to, please
> pass it on to a more appriate group).

Does it make a difference whether the filename has spaces in it?

Look where the %1 is,

(You seem to have found it.. but it's somewhere like tools..folder
options..file types..advanced...edit (may need to click a restore
button for the advanced button to appear. something like that
nayway.).

put quotes around the whole thing.

I had some problem like that.

May be that one you have.

Just to add-
In short..

I found the problem from a different angle..
When I double clicked a PDF, FoxIt was not opening them.. I got some
error. And I think that might have been causing windows media player
to not open files with spaces in them either.. I had to drag the file
into the thing to open it. Or do file..open within the application.

If you knew batch files , you'd know the %1 is important, it lets you
double click the file and that open the application. The %1 becomes
the name of the file.
You can try it form the command line substituting %1 for the filename.
drag the file onto the command line to get the path there so you don't
have to type it.
like
c:>c:\program files\blah app\the prog.exe the file.abc
so like that i could reproduce what was happening with the %1.. And I
put quote around it and that worked. So that told me to put quote
around it in the text with the %1 in tools..folder options.
Becuase that is what it translates to.
can't remember exactly where the quotes went, may need 2 sets of
quotes.. will check

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

On 3 Apr, 16:53, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 3 Apr, 10:46, Ruud <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Under Windows NT, I have a problem when I change (or add) a file type
> > (in Folder Options).
> > If I try and edit a file type (e.g. XLS), and go to "Advanced" and
> > then change/add an action, it autmatically append %1 to the action
> > string. Even if I delete this %1, it still shows up after I go back to
> > editing.
> > It seems that (my) Windows does this for all extension/action that I
> > 'touch'.
> > This is really a nusiance, since many applicaions do not start
> > correctly when they are passed with the %1 (arguments).
> > Any solution to correct this starnge behaviour?

> > (If this is the wrong discussion group to post this message to, please
> > pass it on to a more appriate group).

> Does it make a difference whether the filename has spaces in it?
>
> Look where the %1 is,
>
> (You seem to have found it.. but it's somewhere like tools..folder
> options..file types..advanced...edit * *(may need to click a restore
> button for the advanced button to appear. something like that
> nayway.).
>
> put quotes around the whole thing.
>
> I had some problem like that.
>
> May be that one you have.
>
> Just to add-
> In short..
>
> I found the problem from a different angle..
> When I double clicked a PDF, FoxIt was not opening them.. I got some
> error. *And I think that might have been causing windows media player
> to not open files with spaces in them either.. *I had to drag the file
> into the thing to open it. Or do file..open within the application.
>
> If you knew batch files , you'd know the %1 is important, it lets you
> double click the file and that open the application. The %1 becomes
> the name of the file.
> You can try it form the command line substituting %1 for the filename.
> drag the file onto the command line to get the path there so you don't
> have to type it.
> like
> c:>c:\program files\blah app\the prog.exe the file.abc
> so like that i could reproduce what was happening with the %1.. And I
> put quote around it and that worked. So that told me to put quote
> around it in the text with the %1 in tools..folder options.
> Becuase that is what it translates to.
> can't remember exactly where the quotes went, may need 2 sets of
> quotes.. will check

These things were called file associations in windows 3.1 (win xp
seems to call them registered file types, but people still (rightly!)
call them file associations.

The error I have run into, is opening filenames where the filename or
path to filename, (i.e. file path including filename) contains spaces.

To correct this,

The line should be like this
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" "%1"

quotes around the program name(I mean its file path) are if / incase/
because, the program name has spaces.

quotes around the %1 are if/incase/because the file path specified (As
a parameter to the program), contains spaces.

The %1 is a variable to refer to whatever is specified as a parameter
to the program . When you double click the file, it runs the program
name, followed by the path to the file you specified.

e.g.
"C:\Program Files\Andy\AcroRd32.exe" "%1"
becomes
"C:\Program Files\Andy\AcroRd32.exe" "c:\crp\blah cog\h.pdf"

So for example, if with FoxIt PDF Reader, you do not include quotes
around the C:\Program Files\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader
then it won`t even open.
And if you do, but
if quotes for the %1 are missing for some reason, and the specified
filename has a path with a space or the specified filename itself
contains a space, then Foxit opens but since it cannot open the file,
it popups up a message box, telling you how to call foxit.

You would get the same effect if running foxit from the command line /
command prompt, or from start..run, and specifying the filename or
file path, as a parameter.

To get to the screen with the program name followed by %1, you do
tools..folder options...(then highlight the file extension)...advanced
(i.e. you click Advanced)

I noticed that when highlighting file extensions the tools..folder
options window, some offer the buttons Change and Advanced
But others (a few) offer Change and Restore
Now, Forgetting the Change Button. You want the other button to say
Advanced, not Restore..
The Restore or Advanced button are in the exact same place.
Solution to that little problem , is
If you click Restore, then the text on that command button changes to
"Advanced" / you get the advanced button .