Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Googles privacy policy.

Googles privacy policy.

Lord Turkey Cough

I just had a look at this when it tried to install some more
'security stuff' on my machine.
Bascially it waffled on a bit about what it collected and
stored, then it casually mentioned it's main security police
(see main security policy).

I took the trouble to find than and have a look at it and
basically it said "we will send out every thing we
know about you to any site you visit"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I thought I am not having this new stuff and I will
ditch the old stuff when I can.

Anyway I unselected the bits to be installed but it
would not take no for an answer!!!

So I had to kill my browser to get rid of it!!!

I am going to have to get rid of it.
It is just too intrusive.

Wilson

sometime in the recent past Lord Turkey Cough posted this:
> I just had a look at this when it tried to install some more
> 'security stuff' on my machine.
> Bascially it waffled on a bit about what it collected and
> stored, then it casually mentioned it's main security police
> (see main security policy).
>
> I took the trouble to find than and have a look at it and
> basically it said "we will send out every thing we
> know about you to any site you visit"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> So I thought I am not having this new stuff and I will
> ditch the old stuff when I can.
>
> Anyway I unselected the bits to be installed but it
> would not take no for an answer!!!
>
> So I had to kill my browser to get rid of it!!!
>
> I am going to have to get rid of it.
> It is just too intrusive.

I get nothing for this, but Google's attitude and some astute
person mentioned Clusty as a search engine. Not too bad, much less
ads. Check out their policy at http://clusty.com/privacy
They say they don't track anything and don't care to start doing
it now.

--
Wilson N45 W67

Fred

Wilson wrote:
> sometime in the recent past Lord Turkey Cough posted this:
>> I just had a look at this when it tried to install some more
>> 'security stuff' on my machine.
>> Bascially it waffled on a bit about what it collected and
>> stored, then it casually mentioned it's main security police
>> (see main security policy).
>>
>> I took the trouble to find than and have a look at it and
>> basically it said "we will send out every thing we
>> know about you to any site you visit"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> So I thought I am not having this new stuff and I will
>> ditch the old stuff when I can.
>>
>> Anyway I unselected the bits to be installed but it
>> would not take no for an answer!!!
>>
>> So I had to kill my browser to get rid of it!!!
>>
>> I am going to have to get rid of it.
>> It is just too intrusive.
>>

> I get nothing for this, but Google's attitude and some astute person
> mentioned Clusty as a search engine. Not too bad, much less ads. Check
> out their policy at http://clusty.com/privacy
> They say they don't track anything and don't care to start doing it now.

Also have a look at "scroogle scraper".

Sn!pe

Wilson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > I am going to have to get rid of it.
> > It is just too intrusive.
> >

> I get nothing for this, but Google's attitude and some astute
> person mentioned Clusty as a search engine. Not too bad, much less
> ads. Check out their policy at http://clusty.com/privacy
> They say they don't track anything and don't care to start doing
> it now.

Scroogle (Google scraper) <http://scroogle.org/>
There's a plug-in for your browser, too.

--
^^ Sn!pe <(E-Mail Removed)>

---{ WOTD: abstruse }---

Lord Turkey Cough

"Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mERIj.84$(E-Mail Removed)...
> sometime in the recent past Lord Turkey Cough posted this:
>> I just had a look at this when it tried to install some more
>> 'security stuff' on my machine.
>> Bascially it waffled on a bit about what it collected and
>> stored, then it casually mentioned it's main security police
>> (see main security policy).
>>
>> I took the trouble to find than and have a look at it and
>> basically it said "we will send out every thing we
>> know about you to any site you visit"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> So I thought I am not having this new stuff and I will
>> ditch the old stuff when I can.
>>
>> Anyway I unselected the bits to be installed but it
>> would not take no for an answer!!!
>>
>> So I had to kill my browser to get rid of it!!!
>>
>> I am going to have to get rid of it.
>> It is just too intrusive.

> I get nothing for this, but Google's attitude and some astute person
> mentioned Clusty as a search engine. Not too bad, much less ads. Check out
> their policy at http://clusty.com/privacy
> They say they don't track anything and don't care to start doing it now.

Well I might still use google, bt not the tool bar.

> --
> Wilson N45 W67

Lord Turkey Cough

"Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mERIj.84$(E-Mail Removed)...
> sometime in the recent past Lord Turkey Cough posted this:
>> I just had a look at this when it tried to install some more
>> 'security stuff' on my machine.
>> Bascially it waffled on a bit about what it collected and
>> stored, then it casually mentioned it's main security police
>> (see main security policy).
>>
>> I took the trouble to find than and have a look at it and
>> basically it said "we will send out every thing we
>> know about you to any site you visit"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> So I thought I am not having this new stuff and I will
>> ditch the old stuff when I can.
>>
>> Anyway I unselected the bits to be installed but it
>> would not take no for an answer!!!
>>
>> So I had to kill my browser to get rid of it!!!
>>
>> I am going to have to get rid of it.
>> It is just too intrusive.

> I get nothing for this, but Google's attitude and some astute person
> mentioned Clusty as a search engine. Not too bad, much less ads. Check out
> their policy at http://clusty.com/privacy

Hmmm......

It says a few things but it does not say "We don't collect personally
identifiable information". Which it could say if it were true.

"No personally identifiable information is ever *required* by Clusty."

Note the use of the word required, it could say collected here, but it is
careful to avoid that word, because obviously it knows that would be
untrue!!

"Clusty is *intended* to be an anonymous service. "

Note the use of the word *intended*
It could say "Clusty is an anonymous service", but
it avoids that statement, presumable because it is untrue.

"Clusty is *intended* to be an anonymous service. "

Translates to:- "Clusty is not an anonymous service." in my book.

> They say they don't track anything and don't care to start doing it now.
>
> --
> Wilson N45 W67

Old Jinglebollocks

Yeah but Jayzizz, this argument was already won and lost thirty years
ago, when we all had to face the fact that The Boys up at Menwith Hill
are monitoring our every move whenever they want to, without any need
for a 'court order' or anything like that, and supplying details of
our private telephone calls to the cops and to Daily Mail journalists
at will.

I have personal experience of Melanie Phillips of the Daily Mail
knowing all about my private telephone calls, courtesy of The Boys up
at Menwith Hill, because I dared to criticise a Daily Mail
journalist.

And yet we have this bizarre *fake debate* about 'data protection
laws' and 'privacy laws'........ such a joke, when The Boys up at
Menwith Hill are monitoring your every move and have been doing so for
the past forty years.

Arthur Scargill found out about The Boys up at Menwith Hill during the
miners' strike of the early 1980s.

Thank God the present civilisation is coming to an end soon.

-Pete Newman, North Yorkshire