Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How to link to machines at home

How to link to machines at home

Starvoyager

OK, Ive been here before and I hope I dont aggravate anyone.
I have 2 machines. emachines desktop Vista Premium and alienware notebook XP
home.
The desktop is hooked up to comcast cable with a cable modem and a wireless
Linksys wireless router. My brother accesses my network with his laptop and
his internal card. I can access the connection from my alienware notebook and
a Linksys card.
But.... How can I access the files on my desktop from my notebook and vice
versa. YES! I know how to enable file and print sharing but whats the next
step. What is the procedure to actually see the files on my desktop from my
notebook and vice versa?

I have read thousands of web page links on the subject and have not seen one
yet that actually explains this.
Ok, Im sitting in front of my desktop with Vista. I have my right hand on
the mouse. Im looking at the screen.
Ive already enabled file sharing on both machines. (If I did it right).

What do I do? Where do I go? What do I click on? What do I enter?

I greatly appreciate anyones time and input, and I tried to include whatever
info may be needed to answer this.

Greg

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
There are few ways. The one that make it easy is to Map folders/drives and
than you can use Windows Explorer to copy etc. just like you do on a single
computers.
See here, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html#map
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Starvoyager" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, Ive been here before and I hope I dont aggravate anyone.
> I have 2 machines. emachines desktop Vista Premium and alienware notebook
> XP
> home.
> The desktop is hooked up to comcast cable with a cable modem and a
> wireless
> Linksys wireless router. My brother accesses my network with his laptop
> and
> his internal card. I can access the connection from my alienware notebook
> and
> a Linksys card.
> But.... How can I access the files on my desktop from my notebook and vice
> versa. YES! I know how to enable file and print sharing but whats the next
> step. What is the procedure to actually see the files on my desktop from
> my
> notebook and vice versa?
>
> I have read thousands of web page links on the subject and have not seen
> one
> yet that actually explains this.
> Ok, Im sitting in front of my desktop with Vista. I have my right hand on
> the mouse. Im looking at the screen.
> Ive already enabled file sharing on both machines. (If I did it right).
>
> What do I do? Where do I go? What do I click on? What do I enter?
>
> I greatly appreciate anyones time and input, and I tried to include
> whatever
> info may be needed to answer this.
>
> Greg

Starvoyager

Thanks for the reply. It makes more sense than anything Ive seen yet.
But... In the vista machine, I open computer the map network drive. I choose
Z and and then browse, the window comes up with "network" then "Greg PC" then
"my computer". Greg pc is the name of my vista computer. the name of my
notebook is hal 9000. The name of my notebook workgroup is "workgroup". When
I click on the "my computer" I get a log on window for user name and
password.

I have no idea what user name and password it wants. Im going to give up and
forget about it. Its crazy! but thanks Jack for the input.

Greg

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> There are few ways. The one that make it easy is to Map folders/drives and
> than you can use Windows Explorer to copy etc. just like you do on a single
> computers.
> See here, http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html#map
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Starvoyager" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > OK, Ive been here before and I hope I dont aggravate anyone.
> > I have 2 machines. emachines desktop Vista Premium and alienware notebook
> > XP
> > home.
> > The desktop is hooked up to comcast cable with a cable modem and a
> > wireless
> > Linksys wireless router. My brother accesses my network with his laptop
> > and
> > his internal card. I can access the connection from my alienware notebook
> > and
> > a Linksys card.
> > But.... How can I access the files on my desktop from my notebook and vice
> > versa. YES! I know how to enable file and print sharing but whats the next
> > step. What is the procedure to actually see the files on my desktop from
> > my
> > notebook and vice versa?
> >
> > I have read thousands of web page links on the subject and have not seen
> > one
> > yet that actually explains this.
> > Ok, Im sitting in front of my desktop with Vista. I have my right hand on
> > the mouse. Im looking at the screen.
> > Ive already enabled file sharing on both machines. (If I did it right).
> >
> > What do I do? Where do I go? What do I click on? What do I enter?
> >
> > I greatly appreciate anyones time and input, and I tried to include
> > whatever
> > info may be needed to answer this.
> >
> > Greg

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
All your computers have to be set to the same Workgroup(Network), and each
one has a unique name.
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
> [...]

>> > vice
>> > versa. YES! I know how to enable file and print sharing but whats the
>> > next
>> > step. What is the procedure to actually see the files on my desktop
>> > from
>> > my
>> > notebook and vice versa?
>> >
>> > I have read thousands of web page links on the subject and have not
>> > seen
>> > one
>> > yet that actually explains this.
>> > Ok, Im sitting in front of my desktop with Vista. I have my right hand
>> > on
>> > the mouse. Im looking at the screen.
>> > Ive already enabled file sharing on both machines. (If I did it right).
>> >
>> > What do I do? Where do I go? What do I click on? What do I enter?
>> >
>> > I greatly appreciate anyones time and input, and I tried to include

RxK

....dragged and dropped into my OE "saved posts" folder, thank - you
sooooooooo much Jack !

regards, Richard

news:(E-Mail Removed)...