Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless woes

wireless woes

ib

I've just changed my home network from cable modem to laptop to switch to
other computers, to cable modem to wireless router to all computers.
Everything worked perfectly before. Now, all computers get internet access
perfectly as before, BUT I'm having a nightmare with shared folders,
printers, etc. All computers show up with their correct names in the
"Attached devices" list on the router. All computers can ping each other.
But mapped drives (after reconnecting a laptop for example) won't connect. I
can usually get it going by rebooting the router, rebooting pcs, counting
backwards from 1000, etc, etc, etc, and eventually it will start working
like it did before.

The router is a Netgear WGT624 v3. There are 3 wired XP pcs, which seem to
behave the best, and an XP and Vista laptop on wireless which seem to behave
the worst. On the vista laptop, sometimes I can connect to a mapped drive on
another pc, but that pc still doesn't appear in the network list.

Can someone help before I go crazy and put all my wires back in?!

Many thanks.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
If you change your Network Topology IP assignment and other Network
parameters probably changed.
Un-map all you Drives/Folders, take care of Sharing, and Map it again.
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"ib" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Cq8Jj.27593$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've just changed my home network from cable modem to laptop to switch to
> other computers, to cable modem to wireless router to all computers.
> Everything worked perfectly before. Now, all computers get internet access
> perfectly as before, BUT I'm having a nightmare with shared folders,
> printers, etc. All computers show up with their correct names in the
> "Attached devices" list on the router. All computers can ping each other.
> But mapped drives (after reconnecting a laptop for example) won't connect.
> I can usually get it going by rebooting the router, rebooting pcs,
> counting backwards from 1000, etc, etc, etc, and eventually it will start
> working like it did before.
>
> The router is a Netgear WGT624 v3. There are 3 wired XP pcs, which seem to
> behave the best, and an XP and Vista laptop on wireless which seem to
> behave the worst. On the vista laptop, sometimes I can connect to a mapped
> drive on another pc, but that pc still doesn't appear in the network list.
>
> Can someone help before I go crazy and put all my wires back in?!
>
> Many thanks.

Phillip Windell

I can't follow your description. But it is pretty straightforward to do:

In my illustration I am refering to your "wireless router" as a NAT Firewall
with a built in Switch and Wireless Access Point. It is a mouthful to say
and no one is expecting you to call it that. But it is important that you
understand that this is what it is when you are working with this stuff.

{cable tv line}

[Cable Modem]

[NAT Firewall/Switch with WAP]-------<wireless devices connecting
wirelessly>
| |
| --------<non-wireless devices to built in
switch>

[LAN Switch]-----<more non-wireless devices to stand-alone switch>

You effectively have two Switches,...the one you mentioned,...plus the
additional ports in the back of the NAT Box (typically 4). Your wired
devices can be plugged into either place. All those ports do the same thing
and go to the same place.

The wireless devices obviously connect through the antennas on the NAT Box
via the built in Access Point.

To make sure all the machies have a compatible TCP/IP config,... set all the
Connections (Interfaces/Nics) to get the Configuration "automatically".
This is selected in two places within the same Dialog box. It needs to be
automatic for both the IP Config and the DNS (yes, its possible to have auto
TCP/IP yet have static DNS).

As far as the sharing stuff,..I'm not sure. I usually just deal with the
networking side of things here in this message group. At our place we run
an Active Directory Domain and sharing is much more straight forward and
controllable than in a "home user" situation. Maybe someone else can chime
in with ideas on that part of it.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

"ib" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Cq8Jj.27593$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've just changed my home network from cable modem to laptop to switch to
> other computers, to cable modem to wireless router to all computers.
> Everything worked perfectly before. Now, all computers get internet access
> perfectly as before, BUT I'm having a nightmare with shared folders,
> printers, etc. All computers show up with their correct names in the
> "Attached devices" list on the router. All computers can ping each other.
> But mapped drives (after reconnecting a laptop for example) won't connect.
> I can usually get it going by rebooting the router, rebooting pcs,
> counting backwards from 1000, etc, etc, etc, and eventually it will start
> working like it did before.
>
> The router is a Netgear WGT624 v3. There are 3 wired XP pcs, which seem to
> behave the best, and an XP and Vista laptop on wireless which seem to
> behave the worst. On the vista laptop, sometimes I can connect to a mapped
> drive on another pc, but that pc still doesn't appear in the network list.
>
> Can someone help before I go crazy and put all my wires back in?!
>
> Many thanks.

ib

Great answers, many thanks, I'll work through this tomorrow and let you know
how I get on.

Cheers, Ian

Wireless opitical mouse woes and some other stuff :) the.empire.state@gmail.com Computer Support 3 03-15-2006 11:59 AM
Wireless Woes! Maybe Computer Support 14 07-09-2005 01:19 AM
Home wireless network woes: Firewall trouble Whodat Computer Information 1 06-05-2005 12:11 AM
Wireless Connection Woes Frenchy Wireless Networking 4 11-04-2004 04:45 PM
adhoc network 11g wireless dropout woes dkh Wireless Networking 1 08-02-2004 01:27 PM

Advertisments