Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > IE vs. FF

IE vs. FF

sheldonlg

Here is a VERY strange occurance. I modified a Zen Cart installation by
editing the stylesheet.css. When I looked at it in Firefox all the
changes are there. (Basically, all I did was change background colors,
colors and borders). When I looked at in IE6, only the earlier changes
were there.

So, I figured that there was caching. I deleted the temp files and the
cookies. Exited the browser (while on a different page), and reopened.
Same thing.

Then I went to another machine that had never looked at this site. Same
thing.

I did a view source on both FF and IE and they are both identical and
pointing to the same css file.

How is this possible?

The URL is http://peglegsurf.com/store/index.ph...=index&cPath=6

Jonathan N. Little

sheldonlg wrote:
> Here is a VERY strange occurance. I modified a Zen Cart installation by
> editing the stylesheet.css. When I looked at it in Firefox all the
> changes are there. (Basically, all I did was change background colors,
> colors and borders). When I looked at in IE6, only the earlier changes
> were there.
>
> So, I figured that there was caching. I deleted the temp files and the
> cookies. Exited the browser (while on a different page), and reopened.
> Same thing.
>
> Then I went to another machine that had never looked at this site. Same
> thing.
>
> I did a view source on both FF and IE and they are both identical and
> pointing to the same css file.
>
> How is this possible?
>
> The URL is http://peglegsurf.com/store/index.ph...=index&cPath=6

HINT: // is not a CSS comment...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Nik Coughlin

"Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:569a8$47f40ecf$40cba7c3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> sheldonlg wrote:
>> Here is a VERY strange occurance. I modified a Zen Cart installation by
>> editing the stylesheet.css. When I looked at it in Firefox all the
>> changes are there. (Basically, all I did was change background colors,
>> colors and borders). When I looked at in IE6, only the earlier changes
>> were there.
>>
>> So, I figured that there was caching. I deleted the temp files and the
>> cookies. Exited the browser (while on a different page), and reopened.
>> Same thing.
>>
>> Then I went to another machine that had never looked at this site. Same
>> thing.
>>
>> I did a view source on both FF and IE and they are both identical and
>> pointing to the same css file.
>>
>> How is this possible?
>>
>> The URL is http://peglegsurf.com/store/index.ph...=index&cPath=6

> HINT: // is not a CSS comment...

Hint #2:
/* This is a CSS comment */

sheldonlg

Nik Coughlin wrote:
> "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:569a8$47f40ecf$40cba7c3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> sheldonlg wrote:
>>> Here is a VERY strange occurance. I modified a Zen Cart installation
>>> by editing the stylesheet.css. When I looked at it in Firefox all
>>> the changes are there. (Basically, all I did was change background
>>> colors, colors and borders). When I looked at in IE6, only the
>>> earlier changes were there.
>>>
>>> So, I figured that there was caching. I deleted the temp files and
>>> the cookies. Exited the browser (while on a different page), and
>>> reopened. Same thing.
>>>
>>> Then I went to another machine that had never looked at this site.
>>> Same thing.
>>>
>>> I did a view source on both FF and IE and they are both identical and
>>> pointing to the same css file.
>>>
>>> How is this possible?
>>>
>>> The URL is http://peglegsurf.com/store/index.ph...=index&cPath=6

>> HINT: // is not a CSS comment...

> Hint #2:
> /* This is a CSS comment */

Thank you. That did it. I am a PHP programmer who does some Javascript
and now I had to tackle a CSS. Force of habit. Interestingly, FF seems
to handle it as a comment since I do all of my development in FF.

Thanks again.

Jonathan N. Little

sheldonlg wrote:

> Thank you. That did it. I am a PHP programmer who does some Javascript
> and now I had to tackle a CSS. Force of habit. Interestingly, FF seems
> to handle it as a comment since I do all of my development in FF.
>
> Thanks again.

Actually, FF handles it as an invalid rule due to a syntax error and
discards is as it is supposed to, and IE ignores the error and parses
the rule as it "guesses" it to be as it is *not* supposed to...

That is why those IE underscore hacks "_border: ..." 'work', (as least
for now)... BTW: I am not condoning the hacks

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

sheldonlg wrote:

> The URL is http://peglegsurf.com/store/index.ph...=index&cPath=6

Another thing you want to do is properly resize your thumbnails.

Example:
http://peglegsurf.com/store/images/window_shirt.jpg

Specified dimensions: 100px 75px
Actual dimensions: 400px 300px

Resize the actual image file to 100 by 75.

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Vista

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:

> Here is a VERY strange occurance. I modified a Zen Cart installation by
> editing the stylesheet.css. When I looked at it in Firefox all the
> changes are there. (Basically, all I did was change background colors,
> colors and borders). When I looked at in IE6, only the earlier changes
> were there.
>
> So, I figured that there was caching. I deleted the temp files and the
> cookies. Exited the browser (while on a different page), and reopened.
> Same thing.
>
> Then I went to another machine that had never looked at this site. Same
> thing.
>
> I did a view source on both FF and IE and they are both identical and
> pointing to the same css file.
>
> How is this possible?
>
> The URL is http://peglegsurf.com/store/index.ph...=index&cPath=6

First thing to do is to fix up all errors as best as you can:

http://tinyurl.com/39mzg

--
dorayme

Ed Jay

dorayme scribed:

>In article
><(E-Mail Removed)>,
> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> > The URL is http://peglegsurf.com/store/index.ph...=index&cPath=6

>> First thing to do is to fix up all errors as best as you can:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/39mzg

>Huh! Last time I looked this last was to the css validator. Now it is to
>some BBC site. No idea how this happened?

It's probably a daylight savings time issue.
--
Ed Jay (remove 'M' to respond by email)

Ed Jay <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme scribed:
>
> >In article
> ><(E-Mail Removed)>,

> >> First thing to do is to fix up all errors as best as you can:
> >>
> >> http://tinyurl.com/39mzg

> >Huh! Last time I looked this last was to the css validator. Now it is to
> >some BBC site. No idea how this happened?

> It's probably a daylight savings time issue.

Ed. You are teasing me! I can tell straight away. <g>

--
dorayme