Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > 802.11A Advice

802.11A Advice

JohnO

I'm helping our sales team find a solution to an ad-hoc networking problem
when they demo our product (a mobile robot) at trade shows. The spectrum at
2.4 GHz is filled at these shows, there's rarely any throughput available
what with 30-40 nodes popping up all over.

So, I had the braniac idea to try 802.11A instead. I picked up a pair of
D-Link DWL-AG123 usb NICs (A/B/G), and after defeating their infernal
software (and getting some help here in this NG) it's working much better
than G ever did.

I want to replicate this setup, but without that crap D-Link software. So
far I have not found any way to use WZC to make these NICs go to A mode
automatically. I hoped for a mode setting in their driver setup, but no
luck. Am I missing anything else about forcing the frequency? (I use the
laptop with the D-Link software to force A mode and set up the ad-hoc, then
run the robot's NIC with WZC and it works.)

If not, I need to find an 802.11A device that can be forced to A mode with
WZC, or at least has software that makes sense. (Linksys' standard stuff
looks great compared to the D-Link crap, and even D-Link says "use WZC".)

Any ideas?

I don't need security, the range is max at ~40 feet, and it needs to be USB
modules or those little boxes.

Thanks!

-John O

Phillip Windell

You don't force it at the Nic.

You control it by the Access Point.

If the WAP is doing both A and G there will be two SSIDs showing when you
scan for "available networks". You should have a different SSID for the A
then you do the G,...then whether you use A or G depends entirely on what
SSID you choose to connect to. Keep it simple,...do something similar to
this:

SSID for G = MyWLAN-G
SSID for A = MyWLAN-A

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

"JohnO" <johno@!NOOSPAM!heathkit.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm helping our sales team find a solution to an ad-hoc networking problem
> when they demo our product (a mobile robot) at trade shows. The spectrum
> at 2.4 GHz is filled at these shows, there's rarely any throughput
> available what with 30-40 nodes popping up all over.
>
> So, I had the braniac idea to try 802.11A instead. I picked up a pair of
> D-Link DWL-AG123 usb NICs (A/B/G), and after defeating their infernal
> software (and getting some help here in this NG) it's working much better
> than G ever did.
>
> I want to replicate this setup, but without that crap D-Link software. So
> far I have not found any way to use WZC to make these NICs go to A mode
> automatically. I hoped for a mode setting in their driver setup, but no
> luck. Am I missing anything else about forcing the frequency? (I use the
> laptop with the D-Link software to force A mode and set up the ad-hoc,
> then run the robot's NIC with WZC and it works.)
>
> If not, I need to find an 802.11A device that can be forced to A mode with
> WZC, or at least has software that makes sense. (Linksys' standard stuff
> looks great compared to the D-Link crap, and even D-Link says "use WZC".)
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I don't need security, the range is max at ~40 feet, and it needs to be
> USB modules or those little boxes.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -John O

John

I'm curious, what WAP has that option (dual SSIDs)? (IIRC) my Linksys WRT54G
doesn't have have that capability, even when I enable dual mode, B/G. There
can only be 1 SSID.

"Phillip Windell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You don't force it at the Nic.
>
> You control it by the Access Point.
>
> If the WAP is doing both A and G there will be two SSIDs showing when you
> scan for "available networks". You should have a different SSID for the
> A then you do the G,...then whether you use A or G depends entirely on
> what SSID you choose to connect to. Keep it simple,...do something
> similar to this:
>
> SSID for G = MyWLAN-G
> SSID for A = MyWLAN-A
>

> --
> Phillip Windell
> www.wandtv.com
>
> The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or
> Microsoft,
>

> "JohnO" <johno@!NOOSPAM!heathkit.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm helping our sales team find a solution to an ad-hoc networking
>> problem when they demo our product (a mobile robot) at trade shows. The
>> spectrum at 2.4 GHz is filled at these shows, there's rarely any
>> throughput available what with 30-40 nodes popping up all over.
>>
>> So, I had the braniac idea to try 802.11A instead. I picked up a pair of
>> D-Link DWL-AG123 usb NICs (A/B/G), and after defeating their infernal
>> software (and getting some help here in this NG) it's working much better
>> than G ever did.
>>
>> I want to replicate this setup, but without that crap D-Link software. So
>> far I have not found any way to use WZC to make these NICs go to A mode
>> automatically. I hoped for a mode setting in their driver setup, but no
>> luck. Am I missing anything else about forcing the frequency? (I use the
>> laptop with the D-Link software to force A mode and set up the ad-hoc,
>> then run the robot's NIC with WZC and it works.)
>>
>> If not, I need to find an 802.11A device that can be forced to A mode
>> with WZC, or at least has software that makes sense. (Linksys' standard
>> stuff looks great compared to the D-Link crap, and even D-Link says "use
>> WZC".)
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> I don't need security, the range is max at ~40 feet, and it needs to be
>> USB modules or those little boxes.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -John O

Phillip Windell

"John" <a> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm curious, what WAP has that option (dual SSIDs)? (IIRC) my Linksys
> WRT54G doesn't have have that capability, even when I enable dual mode,
> B/G. There can only be 1 SSID.

That is that case with B & G,...not A & G. Both B and G operate on the same
band and G is backwards compatible with B so they are kind of the "same
thing" in a way. They both operate together off of the same SSID

The WRT54G does not do A,...you have to have a WRT55AG for that. The
WRT55AG runs duel Radios,..one for A (5ghz) and one for B/G (2.x ghz),...so
each Radio has its own config,...hence, two SSIDs.

Some more expensive WAPs (not at the "home user" level) can have multiple
SSIDs due to other completely different reasons, but we are talking about
devices from several hundred dollars to over $1000. It is a whole different
world after you go beyond the consumer grade "home user" stuff.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processing
http://www.isaserver.org/articles/IS...cessRules.html

Troubleshooting Client Authentication on Access Rules in ISA Server 2004
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...7/ts_rules.doc

Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners
http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/p...s/default.mspx

Microsoft ISA Server Partners: Partner Hardware Solutions
http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/e...epartners.mspx

John

That makes sense. I've never had/seen/used 802.11a wireless devices. Didn't
realize that there are 2 SSIDs in 11a WAP.

"Phillip Windell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "John" <a> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm curious, what WAP has that option (dual SSIDs)? (IIRC) my Linksys
>> WRT54G doesn't have have that capability, even when I enable dual mode,
>> B/G. There can only be 1 SSID.

> That is that case with B & G,...not A & G. Both B and G operate on the
> same band and G is backwards compatible with B so they are kind of the
> "same thing" in a way. They both operate together off of the same SSID
>
> The WRT54G does not do A,...you have to have a WRT55AG for that. The
> WRT55AG runs duel Radios,..one for A (5ghz) and one for B/G (2.x
> ghz),...so each Radio has its own config,...hence, two SSIDs.
>
> Some more expensive WAPs (not at the "home user" level) can have multiple
> SSIDs due to other completely different reasons, but we are talking about
> devices from several hundred dollars to over $1000. It is a whole
> different world after you go beyond the consumer grade "home user" stuff.
>
> --
> Phillip Windell
> www.wandtv.com
>
> The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or
> Microsoft,
> Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processing
> http://www.isaserver.org/articles/IS...cessRules.html
>
> Troubleshooting Client Authentication on Access Rules in ISA Server 2004
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...7/ts_rules.doc
>
> Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners
> http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/p...s/default.mspx
>
> Microsoft ISA Server Partners: Partner Hardware Solutions
> http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/e...epartners.mspx

Pavel A.

Actually you can use same SSID on both A and G radios,
but most people find this too confusing.

--PA

"John" <a> wrote in message news:OE69$(E-Mail Removed)...
> That makes sense. I've never had/seen/used 802.11a wireless devices.
> Didn't realize that there are 2 SSIDs in 11a WAP.
>
> "Phillip Windell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "John" <a> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm curious, what WAP has that option (dual SSIDs)? (IIRC) my Linksys
>>> WRT54G doesn't have have that capability, even when I enable dual mode,
>>> B/G. There can only be 1 SSID.

>> That is that case with B & G,...not A & G. Both B and G operate on the
>> same band and G is backwards compatible with B so they are kind of the
>> "same thing" in a way. They both operate together off of the same SSID
>>
>> The WRT54G does not do A,...you have to have a WRT55AG for that. The
>> WRT55AG runs duel Radios,..one for A (5ghz) and one for B/G (2.x
>> ghz),...so each Radio has its own config,...hence, two SSIDs.
>>
>> Some more expensive WAPs (not at the "home user" level) can have multiple
>> SSIDs due to other completely different reasons, but we are talking about
>> devices from several hundred dollars to over $1000. It is a whole
>> different world after you go beyond the consumer grade "home user" stuff.
>>
>> --
>> Phillip Windell
>> www.wandtv.com
>>
>> The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or
>> Microsoft,
>> or anyone else associated with me, including my cats.
>> Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processing
>> http://www.isaserver.org/articles/IS...cessRules.html
>>
>> Troubleshooting Client Authentication on Access Rules in ISA Server 2004
>> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...7/ts_rules.doc
>>
>> Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners
>> http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/p...s/default.mspx
>>
>> Microsoft ISA Server Partners: Partner Hardware Solutions
>> http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/e...epartners.mspx

JohnO

Appreciate the conversation and ideas, but the situation is ad-hoc...no WAP
is being used.

-John O

"John" <a> wrote in message news:OE69$(E-Mail Removed)...
> That makes sense. I've never had/seen/used 802.11a wireless devices.
> Didn't realize that there are 2 SSIDs in 11a WAP.
>
> "Phillip Windell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "John" <a> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm curious, what WAP has that option (dual SSIDs)? (IIRC) my Linksys
>>> WRT54G doesn't have have that capability, even when I enable dual mode,
>>> B/G. There can only be 1 SSID.

>> That is that case with B & G,...not A & G. Both B and G operate on the
>> same band and G is backwards compatible with B so they are kind of the
>> "same thing" in a way. They both operate together off of the same SSID
>>
>> The WRT54G does not do A,...you have to have a WRT55AG for that. The
>> WRT55AG runs duel Radios,..one for A (5ghz) and one for B/G (2.x
>> ghz),...so each Radio has its own config,...hence, two SSIDs.
>>
>> Some more expensive WAPs (not at the "home user" level) can have multiple
>> SSIDs due to other completely different reasons, but we are talking about
>> devices from several hundred dollars to over $1000. It is a whole
>> different world after you go beyond the consumer grade "home user" stuff.
>>
>> --
>> Phillip Windell
>> www.wandtv.com
>>
>> The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or
>> Microsoft,
>> or anyone else associated with me, including my cats.
>> Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processing
>> http://www.isaserver.org/articles/IS...cessRules.html
>>
>> Troubleshooting Client Authentication on Access Rules in ISA Server 2004
>> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...7/ts_rules.doc
>>
>> Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners
>> http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/p...s/default.mspx
>>
>> Microsoft ISA Server Partners: Partner Hardware Solutions
>> http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/e...epartners.mspx

Pavel A.

The mode for ad-hoc connection is usually in "advanced"
parameters of a wireless driver, it is a proprietary parameter.

--PA

"JohnO" <johno@!NOOSPAM!heathkit.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Appreciate the conversation and ideas, but the situation is ad-hoc...no
> WAP is being used.
>
> -John O
>

> "John" <a> wrote in message news:OE69$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> That makes sense. I've never had/seen/used 802.11a wireless devices.
>> Didn't realize that there are 2 SSIDs in 11a WAP.
>>
>> "Phillip Windell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "John" <a> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> That is that case with B & G,...not A & G. Both B and G operate on the
>>> same band and G is backwards compatible with B so they are kind of the
>>> "same thing" in a way. They both operate together off of the same SSID
>>>
>>> The WRT54G does not do A,...you have to have a WRT55AG for that. The
>>> WRT55AG runs duel Radios,..one for A (5ghz) and one for B/G (2.x
>>> ghz),...so each Radio has its own config,...hence, two SSIDs.
>>>
>>> Some more expensive WAPs (not at the "home user" level) can have
>>> multiple SSIDs due to other completely different reasons, but we are
>>> talking about devices from several hundred dollars to over $1000. It is
>>> a whole different world after you go beyond the consumer grade "home
>>> user" stuff.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Phillip Windell
>>> www.wandtv.com
>>>
>>> The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or
>>> Microsoft,
>>> or anyone else associated with me, including my cats.
>>> Understanding the ISA 2004 Access Rule Processing
>>> http://www.isaserver.org/articles/IS...cessRules.html
>>>
>>> Troubleshooting Client Authentication on Access Rules in ISA Server 2004
>>> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...7/ts_rules.doc
>>>
>>> Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/p...s/default.mspx
>>>
>>> Microsoft ISA Server Partners: Partner Hardware Solutions
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/e...epartners.mspx

Philip Doragh

"Pavel A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The mode for ad-hoc connection is usually in "advanced"
> parameters of a wireless driver, it is a proprietary parameter.

And probably won't work in Wireless Zero Config anyway because Ad-Hoc is
only defined by the IEEE and the WiFi Alliance to work in 802.11b and
802.11n. Any ability to Ad-hoc using 802.11a or 802.11g is a vendor
specific additon and thus most likely enabled by vendor specific settings
and/or software... i.e. best to use the D-Link crapware to setup the link.

Phil

JohnO

"Philip Doragh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsG2Jj.6162$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Pavel A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The mode for ad-hoc connection is usually in "advanced"
>> parameters of a wireless driver, it is a proprietary parameter.

> And probably won't work in Wireless Zero Config anyway because Ad-Hoc is
> only defined by the IEEE and the WiFi Alliance to work in 802.11b and
> 802.11n. Any ability to Ad-hoc using 802.11a or 802.11g is a vendor
> specific additon and thus most likely enabled by vendor specific settings
> and/or software... i.e. best to use the D-Link crapware to setup the link.
>
> Phil

I haven't had any trouble making ad-hoc nets with WZC, so long as the IP
addresses are static. It's very simple which is why I'd MUCH rather use it
than the crapware. The Linksys advanced config has a "G-only mode" setting
which works, and also gets me 54 Mbps, despite the specs that say ad-hoc is
11 Mbps only.

I'm finding that 802.11a isn't used much, which is a shame because there of
the benefits there, but don't tell anyone because I want the 5 GHz band to
myself. It's just tough finding hardware that works.

-John O