Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > softphone with codec G.729 ?

softphone with codec G.729 ?

mbm

Hi

Is there a softphone ( opensource, freeware, or trial version) with G.
729 codec ?

mbm

Thank you

Firefly http://www.freshtel.net/download/internetphone/ seem to use
SIP

Is there an IP phone speaking H.323 ?

msg

mbm wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is there a softphone ( opensource, freeware, or trial version) with G.
> 729 codec ?

"Firefly" permits use of a G.729 codec built from 'evaluation' sources
available on the 'net. I wrote a wiki entry on 'voip-info.org' some
time ago describing the procedure to build and use G.729 with 'firefly'.

Regards,

Michael

msg

mbm wrote:

> Thank you
>
> Firefly http://www.freshtel.net/download/internetphone/ seem to use
> SIP
>
> Is there an IP phone speaking H.323 ?

I presume that you are replying to this message:

> mbm wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Is there a softphone ( opensource, freeware, or trial version) with G.
>> 729 codec ?
>>

> "Firefly" permits use of a G.729 codec built from 'evaluation' sources
> available on the 'net. I wrote a wiki entry on 'voip-info.org' some
> time ago describing the procedure to build and use G.729 with 'firefly'.

Sorry, you didn't specify protocol in you O.P.; I only use SIP

Michael

mbm

Finaly I found what I need
http://www.ussbd.com/smartdialer.html
Smart Dialer is a state-of-the-art Voice Over IP softphone dialer
developed with industry standard protocols (H.323 and SIP - Session
Initiation Protocol) that can handle outbound phone calls from any PC.
It has industry standard G.723.1, G.729 and G.711 codecs support and
gives ultimate voice quality on any kind of internet connection.

But the problem is that it runs only on Windows
Are there similar product that run on linux?

Valentin Guillen

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 06:51:19 -0700, mbm wrote:

> Finaly I found what I need

> But the problem is that it runs only on Windows
> Are there similar product that run on linux?

You're probably aware, but I thought it worth a reminder: Most ATAs
(analog telephone adapters) support H.323 protocol, and these days with
Ebay, they can be had very cheaply. Sometimes in the range of 10 bucks
USED. That allows you to go to a Goodwill or Salvation army thrift store,
buy a 99cent discarded old fashioned analog phone, and be up and running
with your choice of protocols. I have several cordless phones throughout
my home all running on one of these ATAs, and I get superb telephone call
quality for ALMOST... free. I do pay 99 cents/month to have an IP
local incomming phone number, and I pay a penny and half/minute for
outgoing calls.

You might REQUIRE a soft phone, and in that case, simply disregard this
message....