Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Strange behavior

Strange behavior

Joe

This has to be simple - I must be missing something....

Here's the problem:

I have a .js file in my project. In that file I have a variable imageDir
declared like this: imageDir = "images/";

I want to change this so it always references the root. Now I wouldn't think
this is a big deal except no matter what I do to imageDir it never changes.

I've even tried commenting out the line but it still gets a value at
runtime.

The first thing I did was make sure I don't have the wrong file open so I
closed the file and double clicking on the file in the solution explorer.
The file is the same.
Next I did a search on the computer to see if there are other copies of it
and there is 1 other copy which is in the site I publish to. I made the same
change to that file but it still doesn't show.

I put a break point in the .js file and even though I commented out the
imageDir line it is still declared and assigned to.

Does any one have any suggestions as to what else to look for? This has to
be a simple problem.

Thanks,
Joe

Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]

It's probably just being cached in the browser. Clear the browser cache.
-- Peter
Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Short Urls & more: http://ittyurl.net

"Joe" wrote:

> This has to be simple - I must be missing something....
>
> Here's the problem:
>
> I have a .js file in my project. In that file I have a variable imageDir
> declared like this: imageDir = "images/";
>
> I want to change this so it always references the root. Now I wouldn't think
> this is a big deal except no matter what I do to imageDir it never changes.
>
> I've even tried commenting out the line but it still gets a value at
> runtime.
>
> The first thing I did was make sure I don't have the wrong file open so I
> closed the file and double clicking on the file in the solution explorer.
> The file is the same.
> Next I did a search on the computer to see if there are other copies of it
> and there is 1 other copy which is in the site I publish to. I made the same
> change to that file but it still doesn't show.
>
> I put a break point in the .js file and even though I commented out the
> imageDir line it is still declared and assigned to.
>
> Does any one have any suggestions as to what else to look for? This has to
> be a simple problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Joe,

Don't worry. As Peter has mentioned, it is possible that the web browser
has cached the script file(if you've definitely remote the original one).

Are you using IE for visiting the page? If so, in addition to "clearing the
client cache" as Peter suggested, you can also set the following option to
make browser always download new version of a certain file it requests:

** Go to "Tools--->options" menu:

** On General tab(focus by default), click the "settings" button under
"browsing history" section

**In the opened dialog, choose "every time I visit the web page" under the
"check for newer versions of stored pages"

You can try it to see whether it can help refresh the script file.

BTW, I suggest you also try testing through some other simple script file
with functions/variables to see whether they also suffer the same problem.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

--------------------
>From: "Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: Strange behavior
>Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 20:52:49 -0400

>This has to be simple - I must be missing something....
>
>Here's the problem:
>
>I have a .js file in my project. In that file I have a variable imageDir
>declared like this: imageDir = "images/";
>
>I want to change this so it always references the root. Now I wouldn't

think
>this is a big deal except no matter what I do to imageDir it never changes.
>
>I've even tried commenting out the line but it still gets a value at
>runtime.
>
>The first thing I did was make sure I don't have the wrong file open so I
>closed the file and double clicking on the file in the solution explorer.
>The file is the same.
>Next I did a search on the computer to see if there are other copies of it
>and there is 1 other copy which is in the site I publish to. I made the

same
>change to that file but it still doesn't show.
>
>I put a break point in the .js file and even though I commented out the
>imageDir line it is still declared and assigned to.
>
>Does any one have any suggestions as to what else to look for? This has to
>be a simple problem.
>
>Thanks,
>Joe

Joe