Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Tips for a smoother running computer

Tips for a smoother running computer

Cokopelli

If you want some helpful tips on running a smoother
computer then visit my group
http://groups.google.com/group/compu...d-virus-issues

Lookout

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 07:38:20 -0700 (PDT), Cokopelli
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you want some helpful tips on running a smoother
>computer then visit my group
>http://groups.google.com/group/compu...d-virus-issues

Tip # 1
Never got to Google Groups

Cokopelli

Hey lookout what is that suppose to mean?

ded

"Cokopelli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey lookout what is that suppose to mean?

Hi Cokopelli, may I ask you a few questions......
You are subscribed to googlegroups and you've created your own
googlegroup, but do you realise that *this* group is not a google group?
24hoursupport.helpdesk is a usenet newsgroup.
usenet existed long before google and will survive long after google has
been dismantled by Chinese scientologists.
The vast majority of users who subscibe to this usenet group won't be
doing it via google, and there are many who have configured to block
google posters - most in this group will never see your posts let alone
visit your own google group.
Your google group is only accessible via google, it is not part of usenet
so the majority in usenet will remain totally unaware of your group.
And hopefully not over stressing the point by repeating, but you posted
via google groups, very few users in this usenet group will see your post.
So a tip and an obvious hint for you, before you hurl yourself into the
whirl of offering PC tips, the first thing to do is learn a few basics
yourself, so using your precious google do a search on the following
terms:
usenet
newsgroups
NNTP servers and clients
"usenet spamming from google accounts"

ded

"Cokopelli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

I just had a look at your site, oh dear oh dear.....
Another one with posts from himself and nothing else on the site,
and yet another one who advocates registry cleaners as a cure all.
I thought at first that maybe English wasn't your mother tongue,
but locator is 70% certain that Fenton, Missouri, United States is
your hometown, so why is your English and grammer so poor?
Your google group is awful, sorry, but it's best to tell you it as
honestly as possible.

Blinky the Shark

Lookout wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 07:38:20 -0700 (PDT), Cokopelli
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>If you want some helpful tips on running a smoother computer then visit
>>my group
>>http://groups.google.com/group/compu...d-virus-issues

> Tip # 1
> Never got to Google Groups

Tip #2

**** Google Groups.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Mara

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 19:49:51 -0800, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Lookout wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 07:38:20 -0700 (PDT), Cokopelli
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>If you want some helpful tips on running a smoother computer then visit
>>>my group
>>>http://groups.google.com/group/compu...d-virus-issues

>> Tip # 1
>> Never got to Google Groups

>Tip #2
>
>**** Google Groups.

I wouldn't. STDs.

--
A luser is someone who returns a perfectly good hammer to the hardware
store saying "There's something wrong with it. *I keep hitting my

Blinky the Shark

Mara wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 19:49:51 -0800, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Lookout wrote:

>>> Tip # 1
>>> Never got to Google Groups

>>Tip #2
>>
>>**** Google Groups.

> I wouldn't. STDs.

The traditional interpretation *and* Substandard Twitty Doofuses.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Mara

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 23:27:34 -0800, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Mara wrote:
>

>> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 19:49:51 -0800, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>>Tip #2
>>>
>>>**** Google Groups.

>> I wouldn't. STDs.

>The traditional interpretation *and* Substandard Twitty Doofuses.

Well, I'd change the "i" for an "a"....

Sure is nice not to see the GG posts anymore, but I.net doesn't use
all header fields and I'm having some trouble getting it to filter crossposts
effectively, and some of the spam. I think I got the major crossposts filtering
on the Xref: line but I'd rather block them all.

Man, I'm glad I left Supernews. I've been hearing some not nice things since
Giganews reset their headers yesterday.

--
A luser is someone who returns a perfectly good hammer to the hardware
store saying "There's something wrong with it. *I keep hitting my
thumb." --JB, in the Monastery

William Poaster

Mara wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 23:27:34 -0800, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Mara wrote:

>>> I wouldn't. STDs.

>>The traditional interpretation *and* Substandard Twitty Doofuses.

> Well, I'd change the "i" for an "a"....
>
> Sure is nice not to see the GG posts anymore, but I.net doesn't use
> all header fields and I'm having some trouble getting it to filter crossposts
> effectively, and some of the spam. I think I got the major crossposts
> filtering on the Xref: line but I'd rather block them all.
>
> Man, I'm glad I left Supernews. I've been hearing some not nice things since
> Giganews reset their headers yesterday.

My sub to GN runs out on the 12th, & I've gone to news.individual.net. There
seems to be a bit more spam in their text groups than Supernews had, but a hell
of a lot less than Giganews has. However as I understand it, Giganews bought
only the *commercial* customers of Supernews. *The *consumer* customer base was
acquired by another company that is running the service "Supernews Inc". The
support people were being rather tight-lipped in the supernews.general group
about *who* had bought the consumer base.*
For some reason I was prompted to look at the email headers I received from
SuperNews - "Supernews Service Transition Details".
The header: X-Originating-IP: [217.160.249.62]
WHOIS: 217.160.249.62
% Information related to '217.160.240.0 - 217.160.255.255'

inetnum: * * * *217.160.240.0 - 217.160.255.255
netname: * * * *SCHLUND-CUSTOMERS
descr: * * * * *Schlund + Partner AG
country: * * * *US
admin-c: * * * *UI-RIPE
tech-c: * * * * UI-RIPE
remarks: * * * *INFRA-AW
remarks: * * * *in case of abuse or spam, please mailto: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
status: * * * * ASSIGNED PA
mnt-by: * * * * SCHLUND-MNT
source: * * * * RIPE # Filtered

role: * * * * * Schlund NCC
address: * * * *1&1 Internet AG
address: * * * *Brauerstrasse 48
address: * * * *D-76135 Karlsruhe
address: * * * *Germany
remarks: * * * *For abuse issues, please use only (E-Mail Removed)
phone: * * * * *+49 721 91374 50
fax-no: * * * * +49 721 91374 20
admin-c: * * * *SPNC-RIPE
tech-c: * * * * SPNC-RIPE
nic-hdl: * * * *UI-RIPE
abuse-mailbox: *(E-Mail Removed)
mnt-by: * * * * SCHLUND-MNT
source: * * * * RIPE # Filtered

% Information related to '217.160.0.0/16AS8560'

route: * * * * *217.160.0.0/16
descr: * * * * *SCHLUND-PA-3
origin: * * * * AS8560
mnt-by: * * * * SCHLUND-MNT
source: * * * * RIPE # Filtered

% Information related to '217.160.224.0/19AS8560'

route: * * * * *217.160.224.0/19
descr: * * * * *SCHLUND-USA-1
origin: * * * * AS8560
mnt-by: * * * * SCHLUND-MNT
source: * * * * RIPE # Filtered
---------------------------------

It would appear that "SuperNews Inc" is now a wholly-owned GN subsidiary of
Schlund + Partner AG, & that *this* is the "someone else" who have bought the
consumer accounts.

Maybe they were being tight-lipped in supernews.general because they didn't know
who'd bought them, or maybe they *did* know but weren't saying because of
SCHLUND's reputation as a spamhaus.

Either way, I've now moved to Inet.

--
Mandriva - 2008.1 - RC2 - 64bit OS.