Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Two wrongs make a right?

Two wrongs make a right?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

If you can't get something legitimately, does that justify your stealing it?

Just wondered, in the wake of all this fuss
<http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/29/creative-driver-debacle>
over Creative protecting its copyrights in its own software. So much for
customers being loyal to the company, I suppose...

Dave Taylor

Puddle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I think Creative should have let him do it, the bad publicity will do
> them more damage than some people hanging onto old cards in my opinion.

People who have old hardware try to squeeze performance from them, if the
same chipset is the same but different then someone will find out why.

I just don't understand why creative just didn't hire the guy to make the
next set of drivers...

--
Ciao, Dave

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy did write:

> This is were I think there is a huge difference between legally and
> morally...legally he maybe in the wrong, morally I think he had every
> right.

Bit of a Robin Hood attitude, isn't it?

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "thingy" typed:
> Puddle wrote:
>> As for Creative, well, to deliberately cripple drivers to try and
>> force people into buying newer soundcards is pretty damn low.

> yes but not unknown...I wont be buying creative again and they have
> found me a loyal supporter of their hardware over the years.

Ditto here. From my first Vibra 16 (?) through AWE32, another PCI card
(something 128? It's in one of my machines but Windows doesn't tell me the
model, I must have used XP's drivers) to the Live! 24bit I have now, I've
always bought Creative.

No more.

> The reality is they are execs who dont understand how enthusiasts
> think. Creative effectively has a monopoly and execs think they can
> bank on the $ from that while delivering shoddy hardware and
> software.....all they do is drive the users who are prepared to pay
> away to on-board sound....

I'm going to stick with on-board from now on and I hope Creative cop a lot
of damage from this deliberate crippling of their own products.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy did write:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy did write:
>>
>>> This is were I think there is a huge difference between legally and
>>> morally...legally he maybe in the wrong, morally I think he had every
>>> right.

>> Bit of a Robin Hood attitude, isn't it?

> and as in Robin Hood if Prince John acts immorally and creates his own
> laws to make his immoral behavior legal it does not make it moral.

I was thinking of the "rob the rich to give to the poor" part.

> What about Linux or OSS drivers? if they are reverse engineered and give
> full functionality of the hardware you have purchased is that illegal?
> uh no.

Reverse-engineering doesn't violate any laws. Copyright violation does.

> I have not read what he did, so it depends on what he did...looks like
> he cobbled together a set of already binary drivers and packages to give
> full functionality. I am surprised this is "illegal" all he has done is
> supplied a ready assembled collection? no biggee then.

He did some unauthorized patches to Creative's code. And also asked for
material compensation for his work.

-= KROGG =- -= KROGG =- is offline
Junior Member

There's the old field engineer creedo, "If it's not nailed down, it's mine". That ancient wisdom has served me well for decades.