Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > USB device that can send keystrokes?

USB device that can send keystrokes?

Saqib Ali

For some security testing, I am looking for a USB device that can send
pre-programmed key strokes
when plugged-into the USB port. Any suggestions?

I want something that doesn't require a software/script to be loaded
on the computer.

Something along the lines of WiebeTech's MouseJiggler <
http://www.wiebetech.com/products/MouseJiggler.php >, where it just
sends the mouse commands without loading any software.

Or maybe a programmable keyboard that can send keystroke as soon as it
is connected, without requiring any software/script to be loaded.
Obviously this device would require a built-in processor and some
memory.

saqib
http://doctrina.wordpress.com/

bealoid

Saqib Ali <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:337f83df-f1a5-46af-848e-

> For some security testing, I am looking for a USB device that can send
> pre-programmed key strokes
> when plugged-into the USB port. Any suggestions?
>
> I want something that doesn't require a software/script to be loaded
> on the computer.
>
> Something along the lines of WiebeTech's MouseJiggler <
> http://www.wiebetech.com/products/MouseJiggler.php >, where it just
> sends the mouse commands without loading any software.
>
> Or maybe a programmable keyboard that can send keystroke as soon as it
> is connected, without requiring any software/script to be loaded.
> Obviously this device would require a built-in processor and some
> memory.

something like "ghostscript" would fit the bill, no?

Rick Merrill

Saqib Ali wrote:
> For some security testing, I am looking for a USB device that can send
> pre-programmed key strokes
> when plugged-into the USB port.

Do you want to use the USB to pretend it is a keyboard?

Saqib Ali

On Apr 3, 12:28 pm, Rick Merrill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Do you want to use the USB to pretend it is a keyboard?

Nope.

I need a programmable USB device that pretend that it is a keyboard
and send keystrokes.

saqib
http://doctrina.wordpress.com/

Paul

Saqib Ali wrote:
> On Apr 3, 12:28 pm, Rick Merrill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Do you want to use the USB to pretend it is a keyboard?

> Nope.
>
> I need a programmable USB device that pretend that it is a keyboard
> and send keystrokes.
>
> saqib
> http://doctrina.wordpress.com/

Perhaps if you look for companies that make "USB protocol analyzers",
you'll find a generator or stimulus package.

http://www.corelis.com/products/USB_Explorer_260.htm

(Followup set, because my USENET server will not allow reply to crossposts
with too many groups set, without using Followup.)

Paul

polemon

On 04/04/2008 01:16 AM, Saqib Ali wrote:
> On Apr 3, 12:28 pm, Rick Merrill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Do you want to use the USB to pretend it is a keyboard?

> Nope.
>
> I need a programmable USB device that pretend that it is a keyboard
> and send keystrokes.

Should those be pre-programmed sequences of keystrokes, or just random ones?

If those are supposed to be random keystrokes, you could simply modify a
USB keyboard: add a controler for random signals to the keyboard
controler, and it should send random keystrokes.

If you need pre-programmed keystrokes, things would be more tricky.
A friend of mine builds self-made USB devices with microcontrollers.
If you have the know-how, you could do this yourself or, program the
controler to produce keystrokes in a sequential order to use with a
keyboard controller from a USB keyboard.

That aside, I've never heard of something like a keystroke-generator,
that is *not* installed into a keyboard.

(Also, this Mouse-Jiggler-thing seems ridiculously purpose-less)

Regards, --polemon

--
-EOF-

Saqib Ali

> Should those be pre-programmed sequences of keystrokes, or just random ones?
pre-programmed sequence of keystrokes.

> If you need pre-programmed keystrokes, things would be more tricky.
> A friend of mine builds self-made USB devices with microcontrollers.
> If you have the know-how, you could do this yourself or, program the
> controler to produce keystrokes in a sequential order to use with a
> keyboard controller from a USB keyboard.

Yea we used to build these in school for sending keystrokes to Intel
Explorer and 8086 boards. However, I longer have the know how,
equipment or time to build these devices, so I was wondering if there
are any off the shelf device that can do this for me

(yea I know I am being lazy....)