Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows vista "information" balloons

Windows vista "information" balloons

William

On 30 Mar, 16:03, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is there a way to turn off these annoying balloons?
> In vista home premium edition.
>
> They pop up over the systray, have a big "i" in blue background and
> have the title of "information". These were not present in XP.
>
> I don't want to necessarily turn off ALL balloons, just these.
> They generally show up when ever you want to connect with wifi.
>
> Oh and please, forget posting google search links. As 99 times out of
> 100 these results show mainly forum searches with no real answers to
> the problem.

http://www.ghacks.net/2007/03/28/dis...windows-vista/

By the way, that link was hit number one in a Google search for "turn
off Windows vista information balloons".

--
WH

richard

Is there a way to turn off these annoying balloons?
In vista home premium edition.

They pop up over the systray, have a big "i" in blue background and
have the title of "information". These were not present in XP.

I don't want to necessarily turn off ALL balloons, just these.
They generally show up when ever you want to connect with wifi.

Oh and please, forget posting google search links. As 99 times out of
100 these results show mainly forum searches with no real answers to
the problem.

why?

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 08:03:08 -0700, richard wrote:

>Is there a way to turn off these annoying balloons?
>In vista home premium edition.

Pity, no group policy edit, will have to dig into the registry.

>They pop up over the systray, have a big "i" in blue background and
>have the title of "information". These were not present in XP.
>
>I don't want to necessarily turn off ALL balloons, just these.

Better off with then all off, most are just annoying. THen you would
have to google around a bit with some specific searches about network
connections.

>They generally show up when ever you want to connect with wifi.
>Oh and please, forget posting google search links. As 99 times out of

Often it tends to be some , none or all choice. The problem is sorting
the tool tips, from notify from popups.

Don't show the network connections icons.

http://www.google.com/search?disable...ation+balloons

1st hit,

Disable Balloon Tips in Windows Vista
28 Mar 2007 ... Let me explain how you can disable balloon tips in
Windows Vista. ... WinGuggle change Vista performance settings and OEM
information (6) ...
http://www.ghacks.net/2007/03/28/dis...windows-vista/

>100 these results show mainly forum searches with no real answers to
>the problem.

Vista newsgroups,
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...56486&expand=1
microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_acco unts_passwords
microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_assessment
microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_mainten ance
microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Me

Scott in SoCal

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 13:22:23 -0700, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 07:58:31 -0700 (PDT), William
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On 30 Mar, 16:03, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Is there a way to turn off these annoying balloons?
>>> In vista home premium edition.
>>>
>>> They pop up over the systray, have a big "i" in blue background and
>>> have the title of "information". These were not present in XP.
>>>
>>> I don't want to necessarily turn off ALL balloons, just these.
>>> They generally show up when ever you want to connect with wifi.
>>>
>>> Oh and please, forget posting google search links. As 99 times out of
>>> 100 these results show mainly forum searches with no real answers to
>>> the problem.

>>http://www.ghacks.net/2007/03/28/dis...windows-vista/
>>
>>By the way, that link was hit number one in a Google search for "turn
>>off Windows vista information balloons".

>Which is what I do NOT want. This fix-all is for ALL balloons. I just
>want to turn off these "information" balloons.

What other sorts of balloons does Vista have?

why?

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 10:30:42 -0700, Scott in SoCal wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 13:22:23 -0700, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 07:58:31 -0700 (PDT), William
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>http://www.ghacks.net/2007/03/28/dis...windows-vista/
>>>
>>>By the way, that link was hit number one in a Google search for "turn
>>>off Windows vista information balloons".

>>Which is what I do NOT want. This fix-all is for ALL balloons. I just
>>want to turn off these "information" balloons.

OP means information balloons for network connection. Taking a guess
it's attached to the network icon, so hiding it would stop the info
balloon. Of course OP is assuming MS have such a fine enough setting to
allow that.

>What other sorts of balloons does Vista have?

Depends on how you read it - popups, tool tips, information. Could be
wrong haven't looked at the UI settings for a while.

Most like a look around Microsoft Developers MSDN, checking the
terminology and what is triggered by network connection would help the
OP.

Me

why?

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 13:22:23 -0700, richard wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 07:58:31 -0700 (PDT), William
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On 30 Mar, 16:03, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Is there a way to turn off these annoying balloons?
>>> In vista home premium edition.

All information, yes.

>>> They pop up over the systray, have a big "i" in blue background and
>>> have the title of "information". These were not present in XP.

Over what icon?

>>> I don't want to necessarily turn off ALL balloons, just these.
>>> They generally show up when ever you want to connect with wifi.

Oh now you say, later, sort of. It's the network connections
connect/disconnect or....?

<snip>

>>By the way, that link was hit number one in a Google search for "turn
>>off Windows vista information balloons".

>Which is what I do NOT want. This fix-all is for ALL balloons. I just
>want to turn off these "information" balloons.

Ask in a MSDN developers / newsgroups,maybe.
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/default.mspx

Me

richard

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 30 Mar, 16:03, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Is there a way to turn off these annoying balloons?
>> In vista home premium edition.
>>
>> They pop up over the systray, have a big "i" in blue background and
>> have the title of "information". These were not present in XP.
>>
>> I don't want to necessarily turn off ALL balloons, just these.
>> They generally show up when ever you want to connect with wifi.
>>
>> Oh and please, forget posting google search links. As 99 times out of
>> 100 these results show mainly forum searches with no real answers to
>> the problem.

>http://www.ghacks.net/2007/03/28/dis...windows-vista/
>
>By the way, that link was hit number one in a Google search for "turn
>off Windows vista information balloons".

Which is what I do NOT want. This fix-all is for ALL balloons. I just
want to turn off these "information" balloons.

windows xp home "balloons" richard Computer Support 3 06-26-2006 01:41 AM
Dialog "Balloons" in XP Mike W. Computer Support 5 04-16-2005 05:55 PM
Balloons! JANA Computer Information 10 03-29-2005 06:16 AM
disabling windows balloons SA Computer Support 5 12-21-2004 12:15 PM
WIN XP Balloons Max Smart Computer Support 5 10-19-2003 11:55 PM

Advertisments